• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2

Bought a repo battery with no acid from Jim Kramer 25 years ago is questionable. If I put acid now how long do you think it would last?

Bought a repo battery with no acid from Jim Kramer 25 years ago is questionable. If I put acid now how long do you think it would last?
I only got about 4 seasons out of them new. If I do another one of these I think I'll cut the top off just below the lid seam and lift the entire guts out with the lid. Be much easier to gut the plates off and less chance of cracking the case. Glue in a couple of guide tabs and the hold down clamp would hold it all together.

Odyssey PC925. Sealed AGM battery. You can use them in any position but upside down. The one in my airplane is now 12 years old and cranks so fast I can taxi down the lake on the starter alone. I have them in three of my cars, this will be 4. Same as my airplane I don't even bother charging them over the Winter. Everything starts in the Spring.

View attachment 1418540

Thank you for the information. There seems to be several different types of batteries now and it can get confusing because some are not designed to work safely in cars. Don’t want any battery fires or other potential issues. I really appreciate your detailed threads with lots of very good information.

Cutting the top off will also save having to do a bottom plate that I almost forgot! I just happen to have dozens of 8' cut offs that are 11.5" wide.
20230215_145749.jpg
20230215_151947.jpg

Proper metal K frame splash shields finally arrived in the mail. Thanks Big Bill for pulling and getting them off to me pronto... then they went AWOL for a week.
1966plysathp2pts 127.jpg

They're in pretty good shape and I could media blast and paint, but I think I'm going to attempt to make some new ones. I also need a pair for the '64 Dodge as well.
1966plysathp2pts 128.jpg

Putting a pizza box to good use.
1966plysathp2pts 130.jpg

Pattern done, now I just need some 19 or 18 gauge steel sheet. Nice thing is the left and right are identical, just bent opposite to each other and then spot welded.
1966plysathp2pts 134.jpg

I ordered the plain Jane PC925 and they did me a "favour" and sent me the most expensive 925 as a substitution with metal jacket and full size terminals.. FFS.
1966plysathp2ptt 005.jpg

Thankfully the terminal posts bolt on and can be removed, otherwise they won't fit into the old script battery case.
1966plysathp2ptt 006.jpg

Metric allen key and the terminals come off.
1966plysathp2ptt 009.jpg

Full size cable terminals removed and fortunately I have an old Odyssey battery around with the metric bolts I can use.
1966plysathp2ptt 012.jpg

Next snag... the metal jacket makes it just that much wider that it sits proud enough the bottom cover won't sit flat.

1966plysathp2ptt 015.jpg

I can fix that...
1966plysathp2ptt 022.jpg

1/4" cut off each "cells" plug boss.
1966plysathp2ptt 023.jpg

Used another batteries install kit to bolt the case cables onto the battery.
1966plysathp2ptt 017.jpg

Jammed some 1.5" Celfort on each side of the battery to keep it from moving around and installed the bottom cover.
1966plysathp2ptt 025.jpg

Has always baffled me on how Odyssey rates their batteries. Their specs show only 330CCA, but they always pull over 1000CCA. Battery is only about 90% charged here to boot.
1966plysathp2ptt 043.jpg

Finished battery into place.
1966plysathp2ptt 054.jpg

K frame shield patterns traced and ready for cutting out on 0.040" steel sheet. Holes and reliefs all drilled, noting and duplicating that the originals had a different size relief radius on every corner.
1966plysathp2ptt 060.jpg

Another inch width of sheet would have made life easier, but it is what it is. Sheet cut off square at 9".
1966plysathp2ptt 068.jpg

Everything cut and deburred.
1966plysathp2ptt 074.jpg

The easy bend done.
1966plysathp2ptt 076.jpg

Sneaking in as much as I can on the ends of the brake.
1966plysathp2ptt 078.jpg

Got more bent than I thought I would, dolly hammer and a bucking bar from here.
1966plysathp2ptt 085.jpg

Both fully formed and ready to spot weld. Checked fit to car first and they fit nicely into place.
1966plysathp2ptt 096.jpg

4 spot welds on each tab overlap just like the OE's.
1966plysathp2ptt 101.jpg

Ready to prep and paint.
1966plysathp2ptt 103.jpg

110 or 220 version? I see the 220's are on sale this week. The 110 do a nice job on clean sheet metal.

Same. Never did use it much, but the price was too good to pass up.

Those shields look perfect. Nice work - people will be wanting you to go into production with them.

Top notch work!
Thanks! Got ahead of myself though, forgot that I have a can of weld thru primer on it's way before I finished these. Oh well the next sets will get primer in the folds before spot welding and then paint. Something originals never got...

Hmm: I didn't think those spot welders would be that great. Looks like I'll have to buy one.
Dang, easy to spend money, the 220Volt Spotter is on sale so I bought one, I'll pick it up when I get home from Mexico. Wish I'd have had it when I did my son's Charger.

Last edited:
She's alive after a Winter of sleep ! Cruise time tomorrow. Streets aren't great but the highways are pretty clean!

Auto Transport Service
Back