• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2

I'm late to this party. Great car!
I noticed this on the driver's fender apron:

View attachment 1389830

Was this a "Hemi only" thing? The bracket to support the starter relay? What are those other things on the bracket?
Yes, 66 only hemi, starter and horn relay with a positive stud to get battery power from for both.

Who can decode them?
Anyone with the right tools and key cards. Lots of googling and thread following and I've got these so far.. and I'm not sure that my many years of Fortan IV are any help!! LOL
IBM blank 3.jpg
punchcardkeycard.jpg

Anyone with the right tools and key cards. Lots of googling and thread following and I've got these so far.. and I'm not sure that my many years of Fortan IV are any help!! LOL
View attachment 1389831View attachment 1389832
Ah, fortran, I took that, and basic, too. I took another language too but it escapes me now. I also did C++, but it's been ages, and I still can't make sense of that card and the decode info.

Yes, 66 only hemi, starter and horn relay with a positive stud to get battery power from for both.
No offense, but that looks really out of place and somewhat of a crude afterthought.

No offense, but that looks really out of place and somewhat of a crude afterthought.
The Hemi's valve covers and heads interfere with where those items go on the firewall. They did some changes in 67 to eliminate that panel.

That and I have absolutely no idea why they just didn't leave both relays where they were on any other engined car! Maybe tight with a booster, but manual brakes I can't see why that starter relay can't be on the firewall like any other car. Horn relay under the horns like a '69.

Anyhow reminds me that I have to get that cleaned up and the new positive/starter cable installed, along with other things. Need to pull the cluster and fix my fuel gauge and install a new speedometer cable in it's correct location while I'm in there.

Agreed. But it's original so...... not much choice. Prob why the guy that had my hemi and a coronet hemi removed it from both cars. I had to buy a harness for mine but had the original relay bracket with the car, just not on it.

It is a bit crude but sort of an iconic detail for the first year of the Street Hemi. I’ve looked at so many photos of these 66 Hemi engine compartments, if I were to look at one and not immediately see that panel, I would know something was up with the car.

Chrysler did weird/unique stuff with Hemi cars, such as it’s own fuel pump pushrod & distributor hold down bracket, routing the oil pressure sender wire through the positive battery cable harness, lower alternator adjustment bracket, 2 piece engine wiring harness and rear axle upper bumpers. I’m sure there are other unique weirdnesses that I haven’t listed.

Thought I'd get to seeing why my fuel gauge quit working when installing the new RTE IVR4 last month+ ago and while in there I'd install the proper speedometer cable through the correct firewall hole. This quickly cluster f'd into a full afternoon and then some.

Looks like someone bought too long of a speedometer cable at some point and got creative running it. It supposed to go through that hole below and to the right of the brake master cylinder.
1966plysathp2pt7 001.jpg

Since the cable on the car has also been cooked on the exhaust at some point and is crusty I bought the correct new, reproduction, one. $60US
1966plysathp2pt7 005.jpg

'66 cable, both ends are threaded nuts, unlike '68 and up with the plastic clip end at the speedometer. Do yourself a favour and make sure you buy a cable with the firewall sealing grommet already in place!
1966plysathp2pt7 006.jpg

So we go from this, that was a simple speedo cable install and wiring check to get the fuel gauge working, to a full snowballing cluster ....
1966plysathp2pt7 012.jpg

To remove the instrument cluster the heater control face plate has to come off, two screws.
1966plysathp2pt7 013.jpg

Then to get the heater control plate off you have to remove the control lever knobs with a small allen key for the set screw on the bottom edge.
1966plysathp2pt7 016.jpg

Face plate off, now you have to remove the two screws that hold the heater control mechanism to the instrument cluster.
1966plysathp2pt7 021.jpg

Then you tuck the control down and back into the dash.
1966plysathp2pt7 023.jpg

Then lower the steering column by removing (4 screws) the filler plate under it and then backing off the retaining collars two x 7/16" nuts to the end of the stud threads.
1966plysathp2pt7 027.jpg

Six screws out of the instrument cluster and it can then be CAREFULLY pulled forward and out. While doing so you can see the two wiring harness retaining clips and spread them open to get more slack. I probably should have stuck my head up under the dash and done that first!
1966plysathp2pt7 031.jpg

I now have a better view of the circuit board and voltage regulator that runs the fuel and engine temperature gauges. Something is loose in that 5 wire plug as I can make the fuel gauge work by wiggling it around. I can also make the left turn signal indicator work or not work. NOTE: You need to run a ground wire from the cluster housing to the car body for things to work correctly as the screws you removed WERE the ground path!!
1966plysathp2pt7 034.jpg

Of course at this point I notice a wire connector that is hanging loose behind the cluster...
1966plysathp2pt7 040.jpg

Out comes the bible to try and figure out wtf that wire came from. Violet wire into the variable speed wiper switch.
1966plysathp2pt7 042.jpg

I've seen enough at this point and I have no other choice but to pull the cluster completely.
1966plysathp2pt7 046.jpg

Everything unplugs except for the amperage gauge. Two 3/8" nuts. Wires look great, many are found heat damaged.
1966plysathp2pt7 048.jpg

Shot to show how clean the original stuff is behind the cluster in this 57 year old car.
1966plysathp2pt7 055.jpg

Out and ready to tear more apart.
1966plysathp2pt7 058a.jpg

One pin broken completely off the circuit board and the other four are ready to fall off.
1966plysathp2pt7 062.jpg

Circuit board removed. 4 screws and the 4 nuts from the coolant temperature and fuel gauge studs.
1966plysathp2pt7 064.jpg

Only one pin still has the 4 swages on the back of the board... and it's the one that's broken off! The rest are ready to fall off.
1966plysathp2pt7 066.jpg

Last edited:
Thinking of how to reinforce the pins and the light bulb went off that I should have some 1/16th AN rivets in the hangar.
1966plysathp2pt7 070.jpg

How's that for a BINGO !
1966plysathp2pt7 073.jpg

Pressed the rivet inside the hollow pin with channel locks squeezing both together.
1966plysathp2pt7 075.jpg

Heated each one up with the soldering iron and flowed some solder in between the board and the pin and bonded the board, rivet and pin together x 5. Ready to reinstall.
1966plysathp2pt7 079.jpg

I had noticed the instrument light dimmer control was erratic, before I pulled it, so cleaned up the rheostat and tested it while the cluster is out.
1966plysathp2pt7 081.jpg

Circuit board back in and RTE's IVR4 electronic voltage limiter back into place. I replaced the mechanical OE voltage limiter that have a habit of sticking and cooking the gauges. Gauges run off a pulsing 5 volts, when the regulators stick they get 12V and fry.
1966plysathp2pt7 082.jpg

All the light bulbs checked ready to go. Not pulling this out again..
1966plysathp2pt7 084.jpg

Stuff I always like to see. Nov 13 1965 validates the originality of the car with a cluster just shy of the production date of the car.
1966plysathp2pt7 087.jpg

All ready to put back into the car and hope everything works.
1966plysathp2pt7 090.jpg

Last edited:
Thinking of how to reinforce the pins and the light bulb went off that I should have some 1/16th AN rivets in the hangar.
View attachment 1393213
How's that for a BINGO !
View attachment 1393214
Pressed the rivet inside the hollow pin with channel locks squeezing both together.
View attachment 1393215
Heated each one up with the soldering iron and flowed some solder in between the board and the pin and bonded the board, rivet and pin together x 5. Ready to reinstall.
View attachment 1393217
I had noticed the instrument light dimmer control was erratic, before I pulled it, so cleaned up the rheostat and tested it while the cluster is out.
View attachment 1393218
Circuit board back in and RTE's IVR4 electronic voltage limiter back into place. I replaced the mechanical OE voltage limiter that have a habit of sticking and cooking the gauges. Gauges run off a pulsing 5 volts, when the regulators stick they get 12V and fry.
View attachment 1393219
View attachment 1393220
Stuff I always like to see. Nov 13 1965 validates the originality of the car with a cluster just shy of the production date of the car.
View attachment 1393221
View attachment 1393222
Nice, and harder than 68 up? I think that is easier tha the same vintage Charger.
That is truly working at the BAR!

View attachment 1393213
How's that for a BINGO !
View attachment 1393214
View attachment 1393215
View attachment 1393217
View attachment 1393218
View attachment 1393219
View attachment 1393220
View attachment 1393221
View attachment 1393222
I've felt some of your pain, not the cable or the pins though.

Wow, nice fix. I’ve often wondered what could be done if one of those pins came loose. Also, I hate having to pull or replace the panel in my 66 or 67. It’s nerve wracking trying to get everything pulled loose or reconnected and not mar something up in the process. :thumbsup:

You realize that you've watched "The Repair Shop" show on TV too much when you start using your own spit and a Q tip to clean stuff!
1966plysathp2pt8 001.jpg

So tempted to open this cluster up and get the bit of dust inside, but ain't happening.
1966plysathp2pt8 007.jpg

Now I know what other '66/'67 Plymouth owners were talking about with the broken defroster mounts.
1966plysathp2pt8 009.jpg

The cheapest thinnest plastic I've seen since a dollar store wallpaper tray.
1966plysathp2pt8 010.jpg

This stuff works pretty darn good on oddball stuff, so I'll give it a whirl on this plastic.
1966plysathp2pt8 016.jpg

Defroster vent held in place to glue the broken mounting tab back on.
1966plysathp2pt8 017.jpg

Just like the dentist. Apply the goop, then UV light it to cure.
1966plysathp2pt8 020.jpg

Back on just like that, almost instant.
1966plysathp2pt8 023.jpg

Why I never throw out the discs from hole sawing. They make great penny washers. Relieved to clear the duct and will transfer the load vs just a nut.
1966plysathp2pt8 029.jpg

Washer on both ends and back into the dash of the car.
1966plysathp2pt8 035.jpg

I guess the previous guy that replaced the dash pad wanted that defrost hose more than the car did.
1966plysathp2pt8 038.jpg

2.25" hose is needed to fit over the heater box and defroster vent tubes. I had a nice 2" finished end aircraft SCAT hose in the hangar that just happened to be the perfect length and slipped tightly inside the tubes to get the job done.
1966plysathp2pt8 041.jpg

Remember that snowball.... the dash pad had a couple of sags in it so investigating the matter I found that the last bugger was lazy and left 4 nuts off the pads mounting studs and only did the center and each end. The only good is the 66 cardboard glove box liner is 2 parts vs the single of new cars so access was pretty easy.
1966plysathp2pt8 044.jpg

Glove box liner needs some minor repairs to it's cardboard/poster board material. Mounting screw plate torn out in one spot and some other deteriorating areas.
1966plysathp2pt8 047.jpg

Found a loose piece in the box that's big enough to fix the area and some clip on screw plates to replace the missing embedded one.
1966plysathp2pt8 048.jpg

Super Glue to the rescue and left for the night.
1966plysathp2pt8 051.jpg

Still can't believe how clean this car is behind stuff. Like brand new. Guess I should add some penny washers to the passenger defrost vent mounts as well while I'm in here, as I'm not coming back!
1966plysathp2pt8 053.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back