• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 Coronet 500 - Billings Montana

Looking good John.

How are the electric cutouts wired? are the NC in a non-powered state and then only draining power when open? I a thinking about them for mine, just wasn't sure what the power drain would be like on the charging system.

They are normally closed and in a non powered state, there is a single rocker switch, the wiring splits and runs to each cutout, the wires are small and the fuse is 3A, so the drain is minimal to the charging system.

Finished up filling my rear with gear oil, going to install the rearend piece of the puzzle tomorrow, went with 3.73 ring and pinion and a Eaton Trutrac, reusing the existing axles and bearings for now (they didn't look bad at all). Also ran all new brake lines in the car from master cylinder to rear wheels.

Jim should be getting close to completing the assembly of the motor this week except for push rods, hopefully those wont take long to get once we know the size, then its tighten up the valve train, break-in and dyno. We are targeting engine break-in and dyno testing before 4th of July... IF pushrods are here in time... fingers crossed.

TruTrac Rear.jpg

Thats a very nice set up i do wish i had waiting in a corner! Looks great!! :)

Now that's just plain Purdy. What all did you have done to it?

Thanks! I'm getting pretty excited, we are now talking about a date I can drive over and pickup the motor and witness the dyno - 7hrs one way trip for me, not bad at all to see a fresh Laroy built motor!

Parts short list:

Bore 0.030”
Forged crank
Ross pistons
OEM rods
CompCams custom grind
Scorpion ST hyd lifters
T&D rockers
Eddy performer rpm intake
Eddy victor heads ported, cc’d, benched
Quickfuel 950
Melling HV op
Milodon HV wp
7 Qt pan
Hooker super comps: 2” P, 3.5" C

Got the rear end installed. All the brakes are all bled, had a hell of a time with one of the new banjo bolt brake line connectors, the damn copper crush gasket wouldn't seal on the left front, after 2 attempts to assemble and still leaking I went and got some new copper gaskets. I found a great thread here that mentioned annealing (heating and slow cooling) to allow the copper to soften, worked like a charm!

Talked with Jim yesterday, he is planning on break-in and dyno this comming Monday or Tuesday, the motor should be ready for pickup on Thursday the 3rd. After that I will be looking for a torque converter, bolt that up with the tranny and install. Some exhaust and drive line work after that.

Holderith 440 060.jpg

Holderith 440 063.jpg

Diff1.jpg

Brake1.JPG

Looking good!

Were you able to find the splash shields you were looking for?

That sounds like a power plant.... Im hoping to have some day! Every thing looks so good, i love the look of that rear end set up all hooked up and ready, I would like to entertain the idea of your break system but right now there is so many other things i cant keep track! Im dividing my car into sections and its one at a time and against my rules to look ahead but sometimes i cheat lol... I would love to hear that engine, I think...

Looks great! Don't forget the dyno numbers...

10-4! Just talked with Jim, dyno numbers coming up Wednesday.

About a year ago I removed all the rust on the interior of my roof, I then used Eastwood fast etch, then primed and painted. After that I applied dynamat butyl rubber.

I bought 3/8" jute padding last winter and was waiting for the weather to warm up here to install that.

Got that job done yesterday, turned out great! Really nice for sound, and hot/cold.

I have a new in the box bow style headliner sitting here, I'll install in the next few weeks, that will really class up the interior!

HL1.jpg

HL2.jpg

HL3.jpg

HL4.jpg

HL5.jpg

HL6.jpg

Any guess on the Dyno #'s John? What where you shooting/hoping for on that bad boy?

My guess is 520 to 540... enough to spin the tires anyway.

Another big plus is knowing one of the best in the business put the motor together, performance and reliability was the focus on this build and Jim delivers.

"About a year ago I removed all the rust on the interior of my roof, I then used Eastwood fast etch, then primed and painted. After that I applied dynamat butyl rubber."

Its hard to beat Eastwood products! I hope to have one of those guys you speak of do my 383, He builds race engines for all the stock car racers around my area, or a lot of them i should say lol, But it is good to have a friend who knows what hes doing, especially if anyone's like me and wouldn't know where to start when it comes to building a high HP engine! Or at least, one you can trust!!!

My guess is 520 to 540... enough to spin the tires anyway.

Another big plus is knowing one of the best in the business put the motor together, performance and reliability was the focus on this build and Jim delivers.

I'll guess 560HP/620TQ John. "Enough to spin the tires"....lol Yeah, don't think you'll have any issues there amigo.

"About a year ago I removed all the rust on the interior of my roof, I then used Eastwood fast etch, then primed and painted. After that I applied dynamat butyl rubber."

Its hard to beat Eastwood products! I hope to have one of those guys you speak of do my 383, He builds race engines for all the stock car racers around my area, or a lot of them i should say lol, But it is good to have a friend who knows what hes doing, especially if anyone's like me and wouldn't know where to start when it comes to building a high HP engine! Or at least, one you can trust!!!

Yes sir Ron I agree 100%, I am good with my hands and can do allot of things, but building HP motors is not something I know anything about. It thrills me to the bone to know that I will be owning an expertly built Mopar Big Block. The level of expertise and detail that Jim brings to the table is top notch. A running motor, carb to pan, dyno tuned is worth every penny to me.

I'll guess 560HP/620TQ John. "Enough to spin the tires"....lol Yeah, don't think you'll have any issues there amigo.

Thanks Will! Those numbers are a little optimistic I think, but you never know... fingers crossed.

If I read it right, combo is still stock stroke?

Yes Gpuller, stock stroke, bored 0.030" over: 446ci

Jim has a Superflow Dyno seal on overnight FedEx delivery for tomorrow.

While we wait...
440 Dyno Ready.jpg

John you have me mighty jealous from 1000 miles away!! That 67 is sure coming along fine.

I'll guess around 547 hp over 600 on the torque.

Auto Transport Service
Back