• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 Coronet 500 - Billings Montana

MT_Mopar

Local time
5:14 PM
Reaction score
1967 Coronet 500 - 1975 440

Here’s my project car, I found the car on craigslist and bought it over the phone, I knew by the description that this was a car I wanted and was a great one to bring back to life.

The ad in craigslist said: “one of the most un-molested B bodies I have seen” – Well needless to say I bought the car about 2 sentences into the phone call. The car had no brakes and barely ran, it also had a 1975 440 under the hood and I was happy about that.

I didn’t have a trailer and we worked a deal that the seller would deliver the car to my house, (he was on his way to a friends near my place anyway)

I paid $4250 for her and the more I work on the car the more I LOVE it!

I get more compliments and comments just driving around town than any car I have ever owned, my favorite is Harley riders, and they love these cars! I am constantly getting thumbs up from them, even the meanest bad A$$es wearing colors smile when they cruise by, it’s great!

On 4[SUP]th[/SUP] of July the wife and I and my 16 year old son were cruising around town, we came up to a stoplight, a Harley riding dude was sitting at the stoplight, we pulled up beside him, he looks over and says “now that’s some bada$$ $hit”! :yes: LOL!

I am not planning on a complete restoration, what I plan on doing is fixing the mechanical have too’s first and then getting some of the other stuff as money and time permits.

Next spring I plan on a newly built high performance 440 probably from MRL, a new Mancini super street fighter 727 with a Cheetah manual on the floor, and new 8-3/4 rear. I will probably leave most of the exterior body the same without painting for the time being.

I am just going to post kind of a history of the work I have done on the car, mostly in order, but some out of order with updates to follow.

Questions and comments welcome – Thanks for looking! tiphat_zpsd31ae088.gif

John in Billings Montana

Here she is on her maiden voyage - dog dish's in all the glory - (not the wife's maiden voyage... the Coronet, LOL!)

IMG_20130505_165109.jpg

IMG_20130505_164947.jpg

Here is what the car looks like now... more updates to come.

IMG_20130622_132729.jpg

The view from the Dark Side... LOL... Buuwaaahhaaahaa...
IMG_20130622_132701.jpg

Last edited:
looks good drive the wheels off her fix it and drive it some more. Bob

Here's the floor as I found it...

IMG_20130520_183218.jpg

Trunk...

IMG_20130520_183239.jpg

There was one hole on the passenger side rear behind the rear wheel well, cut it out and welded it up.

IMG_20130525_122725.jpg

IMG_20130525_123829.jpg

Here it is fixed up

IMG_20130527_141111.jpg

IMG_20130527_141101.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Had to replace the gas tank, nothin a little JB weld couldn't fix temporarily right?... except when I went to the gas station gas started pouring out the crapped out rubber filler nozzle!

IMG_20130515_190919.jpg

Did I mention the rust in the tank? Just a little. Bought a new sender and tank from Mancini's

Gas-Tank.jpg

KMart shocks! Gotta love em! Replaced them with some cheapo Carquest KYBs for the time being

IMG_20130515_190402.jpg

I then got serious and bought a pair of rear Mopar Performance XHD OEM Leaf springs - what a difference! and what an improvement. Amazing... the best upgrade so far to this car.

3.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

An interesting bit of information found here on Mopar Muscle explains why the passenger side rear is an ~inch higher than the driver side.
They really do have different size leafs for the left and right. :yes:

More to come!

Your car looked good in the first picture and all the upgrades you are doing are only making it look better. I saw a definite improvement when you added the wheels.

Sweat car, looks like you got a bargain with the condition it's in.

Yeah if that one patch is all the rust repair he had to do I feel like I got raped on pricing. :icon_fU:

But really a clean car for the money and it looks like you are going to be giving it the attention it deserves

Great looking ride John...Cool story. Pretty easy to tell you're pretty excited about the car, and rightfully so. Have fun fixing this and that all while still enjoying her out on the road.....great way of doing it.

I've been busy, put in a new trunk rubber seal, turned out excellent after I found the right glue (pics comming)

I bought a triple cluster Amp-Temp-Oil gauge and while plumbing up the oil pressure realized my damn oil pump died, put in a normal pressure Melling...
IMG_20130709_195156.jpg

IMG_20130709_195245.jpg

Working on some switched power needs for my new triple cluster, the big color picture wiring diagram works great for this.
If anyone needs a big color wiring diagram for a 67 Coronet PM me and I will send you a copy.

IMG_20130707_121349.jpg

Here's my dash test bench, I haven't had any dash lights yet in this car, I'm testing each socket and bulb before and after install.

IMG_20130710_194156.jpg

No wonder my dash lights don't work! I need 4 more plastic sockets to replace the ones that fell out.

Any idea where I can get 4 of these little plastic socket babies??

IMG_20130710_200904.jpg

IMG_20130710_201007.jpg

Another question... What the heck is that rectangular three-spade connector thingy with the distributor condenser like doo-dad? What do those things do? I probably need to replace thems too.

IMG_20130710_201135.jpg

Don't think I showed you guys my plate...

IMG_20130710_193936.jpg

the rectangular thingy doo-dad is a voltage limiter and does exactly what it sounds like. Limits the voltage going to your gauges. If one of your gauges don't work, it's probably the gauge or sending unit. But if all your gauges are not functioning, that would possibly be the culprit.

the rectangular thingy doo-dad is a voltage limiter and does exactly what it sounds like. Limits the voltage going to your gauges. If one of your gauges don't work, it's probably the gauge or sending unit. But if all your gauges are not functioning, that would possibly be the culprit.

How could I test it? Does it limit 12V to ~5V??

Anyone know if it limits the voltage to the instrument lights? I am thinking not.

Thanks

you can get an upgraded voltage limiter I think I got mine from instrument specialties it is digital I think and really helps to even out the voltage to your gauges so you don't fry them. really nice ride I like the work you are doing. while you have the dash out there are some things you can do to make your wiring safer also make sure your bulkhead conections are clean.

x2

Great looking project you have going! Good luck with it.

Auto Transport Service
Back