• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Coronet 500 to Superbee

NZ 70 RR

Local time
8:32 AM
Reaction score
Hi all,
Been far too long . I still have my 70 RR but it has not been on the road for 9 months. Gear box needs a freshen up. Got a kit from Brewers , just haven't installed it.

My mate Grant wanted a 1970 superbee and we looked and looked . Only found 2 here in NZ that came up for sale but not what we wanted. Looked to the USA and eventually found this 70 coronet in California . Been in storage last 15 years.

1970.jpg

The price of a finished Superbee was beyond my mates budget so I said I was keen to help him restore a car. We are approaching this project as a team effort.
The car; base model coronet, 383 column auto, green on green, buckets with buddy seat. Seat backs look like they never been off so fingers crossed there might be a hidden Build sheet. Rust/dent repairs in usual B body areas. Floors and trunk in excellent shape.
Resto plans ; Super Bee clone, 512 stroker out of a 440 camper engine, Ice Blue , move auto shift to the floor, black interior without buddy seat, magnum 500 rims.

We began the strip out this week. I got 2 weeks school holiday so time rich. Engine was a bare 383 block. Took the rotissorie I have used for my mopars out to Grant's today. We will mount it to that and then stip the underseal before getting body media blasted and epoxy primed. Then start the body work. I will do the small repairs and we got a bodyguy for the bigger jobs.
Time frame, hard to say, will depend on my schedule. I purchased a 64 Lincoln Continental out of California 14 months ago and are restoring it. Was painted and interior done so not a major.

Am still old school with a button phone so must remember to take my ipad for photo updates.

Am already finding out the small differences between a 70 plymouth and dodge B body.

Last edited:
I ended up doing the same thing; found a nice ‘70 500 and am setting it up to look like a ‘Bee.
Purists cringe but purists also would cringe if I took an original ‘Bee and changed it from original.
Good luck with your project.

Last edited:
Just sayin'-

Easier to clone an R/T from a 500 than a Bee.

Morning,
Thanks for looking. I will post more photos tonight.
Plan to get the car stripped down as quick as possible because I am a lucky man, I talked the wife into stopping off in the USA on our way to Europe in August. In particular we are going to the CARLISLE Mopar show. Very excited. 3 days of mopars, can't wait. How many parts can i fit in my suitcase, haha.

PM box emptied. Hi Jase.
Spent 5 hrs today getting car ready for the rotisserie.
What a difference a impact drill makes. Wish I had one on my other car builds.

I am at a loss as to how you remove the trim on the rear quarter window belt line. Any tops please.

655EBAF9-00E5-4CC3-AF28-CB73B4EF3719.jpeg

A217CABB-CAB5-4B7E-9A3B-264DA3F68218.jpeg

6A955F54-F6D1-4E8A-9032-E197BBFC4938.jpeg

Nice start, I got me A 70 Coronet convertible, last year. I will also be at Carlisle stuffing my suit case with parts.

I'm doing the same thing 440+6 6 pack K member, rods, H.B n flywheel, ported & oversize valve motor home police heads, 18 spine 4.10 S60 rear...I recommend a U.S CAR TOOL CHASSIS stiffening kit...torque boxes, subframe connectors, inner fender & lower radiator supports...I have the power budge hood also but I'm leaving the CORONET 440 and scallop badging on it with the PLYMOUTH 440+6 call out on the rear 1/4 where the Super Bee decal would be above the side marker lights ...have not decided on color tho....

image0000001 (11).jpg

440_6_70_RR_GTX.jpg

Yep that 1 year only can bite you sometimes. I hope you guys have fun building his Bee.

P1020624.JPG

I've had a couple opportunities to buy a 70 500.

My plan would have been to put a 69 Charger 500 tail stripe on it.

It is, by far. But it was impossible to find a “C” stripe for an R/T and that is the look we were going for.
I have never seen a reverse "C" stripe for an R/T ?...Maybe fab one ????....Something I was PONDERING was using the dust swirl decal from a 70 R.R placed in the same place as on the 70 R.R with the BIRD removed and in its place the SUPER BEE decal from a 71 CHARGER BEE's front fenders ???

I have never seen a reverse "C" stripe for an R/T ?...Maybe fab one ????....Something I was PONDERING was using the dust swirl decal from a 70 R.R placed in the same place as on the 70 R.R with the BIRD removed and in its place the SUPER BEE decal from a 71 CHARGER BEE's front fenders ???
Personally, I'm not mad at your idea and think something quirky like that makes a great conversation starter. You do you & don't worry about the haters.

A member just listed a 70 Coronet 440 parts car for sale.

It's got the tail lights, trim and metal tail panel for a "correct" 70 Bee look.

Hi all, thanks for the comments.
Love your car davek.
Car is on the rotisserie. So pleased that the body is in great condition .
We hope to use a hot wash water blaster this weekend to remove all the dirt. We then will remove all the underseal.
Got a body guy coming to look tomorrow

9F1F4200-2CAD-4C81-9378-AFA1CEFAFCCB.jpeg

6A6E62C2-9C85-4756-8AE6-0F73DB6200BD.jpeg

5ADFDCCC-6293-4254-A8DF-CC934B955FCF.jpeg

Hi Jase, have tried clearing my PMs but not working.

I watched a YouTube clip of last years Carlisle show, guy walked around the “parts for sale “, wow very exciting. I got 3 mopar and they all need some parts . I need a large suitcase, haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jase, have tried clearing my PMs but not working.

I watched a YouTube clip of last years Carlisle show, guy walked around the “parts for sale “, wow very exciting. I got 3 mopar and they all need some parts . I need a large suitcase, haha.
Sounds like you might need to hire a golf cart with a trailer if you end up going. :lol:

Morning Roger,
Thanks for helping Jason contact me. I tried to meet up with him a couple of years back on our way to the Beach Hop.

I went to the Pomona swap meet few years back and was worn out from walking, talking and looking. Carlisle be another level up, bring it on.

Auto Transport Service
Back