• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 Coronet Fender Tag Question

SlamF1re

Local time
12:22 AM
Reaction score
Sorry if this may be a dumb question, but I'm looking at potentially purchasing a 1967 Coronet R/T. I asked the seller for a picture of the fender tag to decode it just to see what the car originally came with versus what it has now. Based on the VIN I can tell it's a real Coronet R/T, it currently has a 440 in it which the seller was upfront about it not being the original engine, which isn't a problem. I'm just looking for a car to have fun with and not something that's perfectly original, but a matching fender tag plays a pretty decent role in the value of the car.

What I'm not sure of is if the 1967 fender tags should contain the car's VIN sequence number or not. I've seen some sources refer to the last 5 digits on the bottom right of the tag as a sales order number and some refer to it as a sequence number. Should it match the last 5 digits of the VIN, or are they two different numbers? I know in later years the VIN sequence number should be on the fender tag, but this is the first time I delve into a 67 or earlier car.

Vin number and fender tag number will be different and won't match. Fender tag and vin should both have WS23.

Vin number and fender tag number will be different and won't match.

That's what I was leaning towards but I wanted to be sure. All of the other details of the fender tag seem to match what's on the car, I just want to make sure someone wasn't trying to pull a fast one.

The numbers on the fender tag are the SO numbers and on a 67 they appear on the core support and on the inside of the of where the drivers side rear bumper bracket is bolted.

The tag on my original 67 R/T, the bottom row starts with WS23. But the other numbers do not correspond to the VIN sequence numbers.

Sorry if this may be a dumb question, but I'm looking at potentially purchasing a 1967 Coronet R/T. I asked the seller for a picture of the fender tag to decode it just to see what the car originally came with versus what it has now. Based on the VIN I can tell it's a real Coronet R/T, it currently has a 440 in it which the seller was upfront about it not being the original engine, which isn't a problem. I'm just looking for a car to have fun with and not something that's perfectly original, but a matching fender tag plays a pretty decent role in the value of the car.

What I'm not sure of is if the 1967 fender tags should contain the car's VIN sequence number or not. I've seen some sources refer to the last 5 digits on the bottom right of the tag as a sales order number and some refer to it as a sequence number. Should it match the last 5 digits of the VIN, or are they two different numbers? I know in later years the VIN sequence number should be on the fender tag, but this is the first time I delve into a 67 or earlier car.

For 67, the number on the tag will match the body, not the VIN.
For 67, the correct term for the five digit number in the lower right is the SHIPPING NUMBER. It is not a sequential number in any way nor should it be referred to in that manner.

Last edited:
I'll try to locate the body numbers if things work out and I get a chance to inspect the vehicle in person. Everything else seems on the up and up since the VIN starts with WS23L. As I said before I'm not so much worried about total originality since I'm just looking for a nice driver, but it's nice to know what the car once started with to see how much has been changed and how much has been left original.

Thanks for the info all.

And, the only way you can join the SO number and VIN is with the broadcast sheet. That has both numbers on it.

And, the only way you can join the SO number and VIN is with the broadcast sheet. That has both numbers on it.

That's the most common, but not the only, way.

Both numbers can be found on the IBM card, if available, and documents like the shipping info, if available. Unlike other years, both numbers are not found on a 67 window sticker.

All 1967 R/T's came with a 26" radiator. In 1968, this larger rad became an option. 11" drum brakes were standard equipment. If it has optional front disc brakes, it will have 10" drums on the rear. Disc brakes cars will have a power booster on a firewall bracket like a Hemi car. In '68, this bracket was eliminated on 440 powered cars and the booster was bolted directly to the firewall. VIN on 440 car would start WS23 (hardtop) L7.

Along with everything else that has been pointed out it should have a 150 mph speedometer if indeed it is a real 67 coronet R/T.

A 1967 R/T would have a 150 mph speedometer, but you can't determine what a car is or isn't, by the parts the car has on it now, 56 years after it was built.

A 1967 R/T would have a 150 mph speedometer, but you can't determine what a car is or isn't, by the parts the car has on it now, 56 years after it was built.
I agree. I was just adding to the other members comments of things/parts that are found on original 67 coronet R/T's. The speedometer hadn't been mentioned.

Auto Transport Service
Back