• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 Coronet R/T exhaust.

I am going to send one more picture of the car from the side. Btw this has been an active thread today. Who would have thought. Thanks everyone

67 III.jpg

I got 67 R/T exhaust from Gardners and it the same way.

I would be concerned exhaust fumes would be a problem.
Mike
Where is the exhaust going to come in at? If all your body plugs are in place, I don't see it happening. Those tailpipes were used on multiple Dodge and Plymouth models in 66-67, without issue.

I don't have a picture handy, but I put an exhaust system on my 67 R/T way back in about 1979 or so. Back when you could still buy these replacement pipes from local auto parts stores. It's still on there. I always thought my tailpipes looked a little bit too short, but this thread has me thinking they are correct.

Where is the exhaust going to come in at? If all your body plugs are in place, I don't see it happening. Those tailpipes were used on multiple Dodge and Plymouth models in 66-67, without issue.
I just thought dumping under the body would cause some fumes. I'm just too use to my 66 wagon. My exhaust dumps ahead of the rear axle. But, I built the wagon "rude and crude"!
Mike

My 66 Belvedere still had the original tailpipes and hangers they are still in decent shape.

Could be the Coronet and Satellite used the same tailpipe and with the Coronets 2.5” longer length - all in the rear I think, it results in the tips ending about 2.5“ further from the rear bumper.

Could be the Coronet and Satellite used the same tailpipe and with the Coronets 2.5” longer length - all in the rear I think, it results in the tips ending about 2.5“ further from the rear bumper.
It could be. I never really thought about it, before.

Not trying to be disrespectful but I kinda giggle when we worry about things such as fumes now but when we were let's say young and stupid we would smoke all kinds of stuff and ingest other things with wild abandonment get behind the wheel and let er rip. Somehow the majority of us survived, maybe by the grace of God ? Anyway I wouldn't worry about the possibility of fumes entering the car and choking you unless of course you're in the garage.

I did buy the hangers and the mufflers from Accurate.
Those tips appear to be spot-on. My 67 R/T bought in '84 from the original owner still has its original pipes (H-pipe and all) and it looks the same as yours, only 56 years older. The original pipes have weep holes at all the low spots to let the exhaust condensate out so they didnt rust from inside out. Otherwise the pipes were "aluminized", whatever that means. I am in the process of getting my car back on the road after storage since 1997. Doing brakes first, then fuel system, then odds and ends... Good luck, nice car.

Not trying to be disrespectful but I kinda giggle when we worry about things such as fumes now but when we were let's say young and stupid we would smoke all kinds of stuff and ingest other things with wild abandonment get behind the wheel and let er rip. Somehow the majority of us survived, maybe by the grace of God ? Anyway I wouldn't worry about the possibility of fumes entering the car and choking you unless of course you're in the garage.
Not to mention some 400hp with drum brakes and a lap belt we all ignored. Fumes never crossed our minds except that it smelled good...

My 66 Dumps out well ahead of the rear bumper and I dont get any kind of fumes at all in the car

Not sure how they can be seen here

20220108_101803.jpg

20220108_101947.jpg

For all you youngsters (under 70 years old) out there here is some added insight regarding 1967 Coronet R/T exhaust pipe/tips. One of the designs for the exhaust was to have a side exhaust with chrome tips behind the rear wheels. The idea was squashed by the design department prior to production. Don’t believe it look at the following photos.
❤️ Mopars
Tony

3DC2E8DF-0615-4BA0-B46F-339D51732AE5.jpeg

64114E79-CC50-4FB9-B849-793C44ED777C.jpeg

47790EC8-DC44-47D4-82FC-FC45F20B5ECF.jpeg

I started this thread and then went out of town. Just catching up on the forum today. I have never seen those prototype pictures before for the exhaust on the 67 R/T. Wow I am so glad they didn't do that weird exhaust tip. That is funny all these years I have never seen those. Thanks for posting.

Auto Transport Service
Back