• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 B Body dash wiring

vsj100

Local time
11:28 PM
Reaction score
Mine is a 68 Coronet. It's getting there. Hopefully a few of you can help me with an electrical problem(s). The car was all apart but the wiring harness was in the car. The following work - Headlights dim and bright, tail lights and markers only work in the 3rd position, wipers work. Lighter works. The following do not work - blinkers, dash lights, temp gage, ammeter is failed and by passed, horn, dimmer switch, hazards, brake lights, washer, dome light, headlight switch does not work in the 2nd position.
Heater and radio are absent.
All fuses test ok except the far left.
Thanks in advance

dome light, headlight switch does not work in the 2nd position.
Chances are that you'll need a new headlight switch to be safe - the resistor for the dimmer function wears out after many years of operation.

That could explain the dome lights and the second position not working. Either that or you have major grounding issues.

You need a FSM as suggested by @BeepBeepRR above ^^^^

Chances are that you'll need a new headlight switch to be safe - the resistor for the dimmer function wears out after many years of operation.

That could explain the dome lights and the second position not working. Either that or you have major grounding issues.

You need a FSM as suggested by @BeepBeepRR above ^^^^
Great advice. Turns out that the dome does work but it's always on. I also have 3 headlight switches and they all act the same way. I'll do some back wiring to see what lights up.

Great advice. Turns out that the dome does work but it's always on. I also have 3 headlight switches and they all act the same way. I'll do some back wiring to see what lights up.
Check the grounds.

Also check for rust/corrosion around the door switches. Make sure the glove box switch is operating also.

Auto Transport Service
Back