• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Charger 5.7 Build

All good to know info. My 6.1 had the dipstick on the right side and entered the pan. There is a provision in the left side of the block for a dipstick. Did the truck use that provision? PM me when you plan a trip to the area.
Now were getting somewhere lol. Both my hemi engines are truck engines. And of course as luck would have it I am blessed with an 03 and an 05 so computer wise I am not where I need to be. And I was wondering if anyone had made their own mounts (from Kb67's other post) I have made a lot of motor mounts in the past and I have both trucks and their both complete so have a lot to work with. My 05 is 4x4 so that transmission is of no use unless I want to change the tail shaft.

@00 bucks or so and the tail shaft can be converted to 2wd. Save some time and get the mounts from TTI.

All good to know info. My 6.1 had the dipstick on the right side and entered the pan. There is a provision in the left side of the block for a dipstick. Did the truck use that provision? PM me when you plan a trip to the area.

This is the only image I have on hand. But I think it runs down the right hand side of the block. I didn't have any trouble with any interference or anything. It still shows an appropriate fill level.

Next time I head that way I'll have to send you a message.

20150131_133142.jpg

I drove my donor truck down off the hill today. Been up there for over a year and it started right up and drove down just fine. I am ready to start pulling it apart this week.
DSCN0039.JPG
DSCN0038.JPG

This is the only image I have on hand. But I think it runs down the right hand side of the block. I didn't have any trouble with any interference or anything. It still shows an appropriate fill level.

Next time I head that way I'll have to send you a message.

View attachment 351605
That sits in there sweet. What k frame do you have. Very nice!

That sits in there sweet. What k frame do you have. Very nice!
I had a stock v8 k frame but I cut off the mounts and made my own. if you want to look in the restorations my thread is called 1967 Coronet Deluxe. A quick search should bring it up. They are on something like page 6.

What are you guys using to pull the hemi engines out. I have several units for pulling different engines. But I cant see any place on this engine that looks like a good place to hook on. Not to mention that the engine sits back under the cowl and don't look like it could be picked up very far. I wanted to pull the engine and transmission in one unit but don't see that happening.
Thanks

I'm not sure about the 5.7 but on the 6.1, you need to pull the intake. Mopar has a tool that mounts on two holes provided in the top of the block. I don't have that tool so I used some holes on each end of the heads.
Here are some pics. The green arrow show the mounting holes for the factory tool.
100_6463.JPG
100_6496.JPG
100_6499.JPG

Kind of something I did not want to do but yeah sounds like I will have to do the same thing. At least the whole front end came off the truck so it is a straight shot out. Thanks for the help.

Kind of something I did not want to do but yeah sounds like I will have to do the same thing. At least the whole front end came off the truck so it is a straight shot out. Thanks for the help.
Maybe you can rig something up on the exhaust manifolds to pull the engine.

I made some plates that bolted where the intake was...used all 10 bolts and lifted from the center of the valley.

@00 bucks or so and the tail shaft can be converted to 2wd. Save some time and get the mounts from TTI.

With TTI mounts I think you have to use their headers. I absolutely wont have headers on my car. Fact is that would be the end of my build. I hate headers on anything. I thought the truck manifolds would be workable.

I didn't remove my intake on my 6.1. put a bolt on passenger side head and a bolt on driver side head (front and back). Lifted it several times test fitting.

FB_IMG_1468807437340.jpg

727 was attached also. Been driving my car for over a year so no problems.

FB_IMG_1454375416160.jpg

My only issue seems to be how far back the engine sits under the cowl as far as getting it out of the truck.
DSCN0037.JPG

Pull the radiator and fan, you'll have enough room at that point. The reason the V8's sit back is because of the Cummins diesel is longer than the V8's.

I didn't remove my intake on my 6.1. put a bolt on passenger side head and a bolt on driver side head (front and back). Lifted it several times test fitting.

View attachment 352302
Must be different between the 6.1 and 5.7 mine has no holes in the heads. And it is so far back under the cowl I don't think that would work. I tried all day to figure out something. I cant even get my hand in to feel the top bell housing bolts. There up against the fire wall. So not even sure I can separate the transmission and engine. And I don't think there is any point on this engine strong enough to pick the engine and transmission together. Kind of stumped at this point.

Use a couple of straps to cradle the motor and you'll be fine.

Well the deed is done. I got the engine out in one piece with transmission. But I have to say I have pulled countless engines in my 60 years. I have NEVER worked so hard to get one out. Now the fun can begin. Fitting and modifying to get it in the charger. I was told the 5.7 weighs less than the 440. But that massive transmission more than makes up the difference lol.
DSCN0052.JPG
DSCN0058.JPG
DSCN0062.JPG
DSCN0063.JPG

That extra weight of the trans will be low and in the center of the car, great for handling. The 5.7 does weigh less than a 440, almost as much as an all iron small block.

Auto Transport Service
Back