• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Charger 5.7 Build

Is there anything special I should be saving from the Ram truck? I think I can use the DBW throttle (not sure how it needs to be hooked up) But not sure if anything else can be used so want to take it to the crusher soon. I did not save either computer or any wiring other than just what was on the engine that unplugged from the main harness.
Thanks

Take the trans cooler, ac condenser, power steering cooler, trans cooler lines, trans mount, and other odds/ends.

Does it have a decent tail gate? I need one for my 2004 in silver.

I'm not sure about the brake light switch and bracket but you may want to keep that. Also the drive shaft. If it is too long, it can be shortened. I think you will need 50.5" if I remember correctly. If not, at least keep the front Yoke as the 727 has a different spline.
Keep the drive by wire bell crank assembly. You can cut the cable as that won't work for you. You will need to use a lokar or aftermarket cable from your pedal to the bell crank. You may want to keep the wiring harness ends that hook up to the engine just in case you destroy one.

Well I got my car gutted in the front end today. Front suspension was a real challenge. Had issues with the upper control arms. Wound up cutting one bushing out because the bolt was rusted to the inner sleeve. And also the torsion bar on one side was really stuck. But it is all out now. Question: I know I am a long way off but cant help thinking forward. But how does the neutral safety and reverse lights hook up to this 545 transmission?
Thanks

Well I got my car gutted in the front end today. Front suspension was a real challenge. Had issues with the upper control arms. Wound up cutting one bushing out because the bolt was rusted to the inner sleeve. And also the torsion bar on one side was really stuck. But it is all out now. Question: I know I am a long way off but cant help thinking forward. But how does the neutral safety and reverse lights hook up to this 545 transmission?
Thanks
The neutral safety circuit is provided for with the wiring harness from the transmission. The back-up lights are activated by the shifter and have nothing to do with the transmission other than that. Sounds like you are having fun! Good luck with your build.

The neutral safety circuit is provided for with the wiring harness from the transmission. The back-up lights are activated by the shifter and have nothing to do with the transmission other than that. Sounds like you are having fun! Good luck with your build.
DSCN0069.JPG

I don't know about fun but yes ready to start fitting the engine to its new domain. That has to be the biggest brake shoes I have ever seen on the front of a car.

11x3 for the fronts!

Where is the best place to buy my motor mounts? What is the best brand to get for original K frame. And how the heck do I get the fan off the engine?
Thanks

Can't help you with the fan. My 6.1 didn't have one. My engine mounts were provided by Bouchillon. I think they are made by TTI but not sure.

Get the engine brackets from TTI and the isolaters from Schumacher Creative Services. You'll have the mounts doing it this way and that engine won't move a bit. You can put a glass of water on top of the engine and it'll barely ripple.

Get the engine brackets from TTI and the isolaters from Schumacher Creative Services. You'll have the mounts doing it this way and that engine won't move a bit. You can put a glass of water on top of the engine and it'll barely ripple.
Thanks, now if I use TTI I wont have to use their headers will I? (I thought I read in a thread that you have to use their headers with their mounts)I wont own a car with headers. I absolutely hate them. I want to use my factory truck exhaust manifolds. Thanks for the information.

Can't help you with the fan. My 6.1 didn't have one. My engine mounts were provided by Bouchillon. I think they are made by TTI but not sure.
My engine has a huge fan on it. It don't bolt up like the early ones did. It has a large hex type of nut. It turns the whole pulley if you try to turn it.

The truck exhaust manifolds won't work without some modifications to the ends. They will need to be cut off and welded back on to get them turned down without hitting the firewall. I don't care much for headers either but the TTI's are seem to fit the best. I had to dimple one pipe on the left side to get past the AC compressor. I used the Borgeson steering gear because it is smaller and can take the higher pressure from the late model pump. I don't have any help for you with the fan issue.

Well over the past couple of days I got my engine towers made to use stock 440 mounts. I have the engine bolted in and it looks like it will work out fine. I brought the engine about 3 inches forward and the stock exhaust manifolds will work with plenty of room. It clears the power steering sector by a small margin and my stock drive line will fit (using the 545 front yoke) I wont have to cut the TB cross member but will have to trim it where the fins are touching it and a small piece of the floor on the drivers side for a sensor that hits the tunnel. I still have a ways to go before I am satisfied but over all things are looking good. I haven't made my transmission mount as of yet but it looks like I can use the stock mount with a few modifications. I will post pictures later today.
Thanks

I guess there are many ways to skin a particular cat huh? I am guessing the 3" forward may cause some issues with the radiator and fan but I'm sure you will get it handled. Good luck

I guess there are many ways to skin a particular cat huh? I am guessing the 3" forward may cause some issues with the radiator and fan but I'm sure you will get it handled. Good luck
I am going to get rid of the truck fan and there is plenty of room for the radiator and dual electric fans. I have about 5 inches in front of the pulleys to work with.

The engine is in and now I need to work on the transmission mount. Truck fan wont work but was going with e
DSCN0086.JPG
DSCN0085.JPG
DSCN0089.JPG
lectric fans anyway. DSCN0088.JPG

Everything is bolted in place now. Still doing some finial fitting on the transmission mount. Drive shaft fit perfect. Will soon be taking it all back out for power coating and cleaning. Engine will get cleaned painted and some new gaskets. Then on to body work for the car.

DSCN0094.JPG
DSCN0095.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back