• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Charger R/T Bendix Brake replacement options

mikeynonos

Local time
4:23 PM
Reaction score
Hey everyone...new member here.

I was actually searching for a Bendix M/C and Brake Booster and came across The Ram Man's website. Seems I am fortunate enough to have the rare Bendix 2226821 right-side (engine) exit master cylinder. I am needing to find a replacement for it and the booster as well. I also seem to be even more fortunate as to come across this forum. I had already emailed TRM, as well as Cass at DoctorDiff. Just waiting on responses. Cass responded and I replied but have not heard back from him as of yet.

Question for any of you....this 1968 was ordered with the 4-piston caliper disc brakes on it. Any suggestions on which direction to go to replace them? I searched for rotors ($300 each) and then found an NOS M/C for $800. Thats just not going to happen. The car will not be sold as it is still the original owners, and after that his children will keep it.

Any suggestions are welcome!

284674895_1690946484592650_4985071220323352305_n.jpg

Well, as you have already found out, doing things with that old Bendix disc brake system is going to cost lotsa $$$$$$$ in this day and age.
What many do, and have done, is convert to the 73-76 A body disc brakes.
There's still a ton of them out there, and not costing a fortune.
Well, my .02 cents worth on the subject.
Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Well, as you have already found out, doing things with that old Bendix disc brake system is going to cost lotsa $$$$$$$ in this day and age.
What many do, and have done, is convert to the 73-76 A body disc brakes.
There's still a ton of them out there, and not costing a fortune.
Well, my .02 cents worth on the subject.
Good luck, whatever you decide to do.
Thanks, Hemi...

That is the plan as far as the front brakes are concerned. The master cylinder seems to be the most difficult part of the search, as most exited on the fender-side of it. I guess, if need be, I can always order the brake line kit with the left-side exit and keep the rest in the original location.

The owner even made the comment about having me do a 4-wheel disc conversion, so we will see what I can come up with.

Last edited:
I contacted TRM, and never got a response. Then after researching, found that he is not good with communications, and has a lot of unhappy clients. (But, I cannot actually speak from experience of my own, since he never responded, and I got my stuff from Doctor Diff. ) Also Cass recommended a different site for booster repairs. Booster Steve or Booster Dewey. You can find them on the internet very easy.

Thanks, BBD.

I will look into them as well. As far as TRM, I messaged before reading how happy everyone is with his customer service, or lack of, which to me means by going elsewhere I may avoid a potential headache. This car is giving me enough as it is...lol

On Rotors & calipers I agree, swap in the single piston stuff, still pretty common & parts are available....As far as M/C I recently went through this on a friends 69 Coronet, same master... Wasn't having much luck & just for shits & giggles tried Orielly's & they had this.... Bought & installed it.... Works fine...

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 6.29.07 PM.png

Does anyone know if you can buy seal kits or replacement pistons for the 4 piston Bendix callipers?
I understand the callipers had a odd barrel shaped piston.
To original poster - If not may pay to fit the parts suggested in earlier post.

Does anyone know if you can buy seal kits or replacement pistons for the 4 piston Bendix callipers?
I understand the callipers had a odd barrel shaped piston.
To original poster - If not may pay to fit the parts suggested in earlier post.
The seal kits were available two years ago but as of a few months ago have mostly dried up, Jim (71HemiX) linked a kit on ebay recently but through normal parts houses they are gone... Last two sets of calipers I tried to O/H had minor pitting in the bores and wouldn't hold a seal.... The single piston calipers the seal rides on the piston & the piston is stainless & doesn't rust so kitting those is easy.. The four piston calipers the seal rides on the piston & seals on the bore, minor pitting means it needs to be re-sleeved...

Last edited:
Steve,

I have found actual replacement calipers with the 4-piston set-up, but as 1 Wild R/T said, the rebuild kits seem to be going extinct. It will all come down to what the owner wants me to do, but the more options I have, the easier it will be.

Steve,

I have found actual replacement calipers with the 4-piston set-up, but as 1 Wild R/T said, the rebuild kits seem to be going extinct. It will all come down to what the owner wants me to do, but the more options I have, the easier it will be.
If the calipers you've found are through Cardone & sold as remanufactured they are actually Chinese knock-offs... I just used a set, they definitely are off shore parts but they did work & the guy who owned the vehicle was happy...

If you want to save the originals they can be re-sleeved but you'll still need to find seals...

Sleeving Master Cylinders, Wheel Cylinders, and Piston Calipers - Brake & Equipment Warehouse

Well that spanks the best price I found... LOL.. I think they are fine unless your trying to impress some OE judge...
LOL...it's not a competition. They are trying to make the car enjoyable as it has been sitting in the garage for 30+ years. There was always a plan to get to it eventually, but he got sick the end of last year, and it kind of put things into motion to get it done. Cost is an issue as it going to cost about $40k in sheet metal, body work, and paint to make it good again. The Midwest has not been kind to it. I won't cut corners as far as quality goes, but I always try to get the most bang for the buck. :)

The master cylinders are available. Hemi and 67 B body had fender side exit. 68 and up engine side except hemi. You can get brake lines for either. Booster can be rebuilt.

The disc are the biggest issue. Not remade, only .88 thick and if worn can't really be machined. I am sure folks have done it but runout can be an issue.
The only alternative was Disc without hubs were made. You then had to have hubs removed and reinstalled on new disc.

So the alternative is moving to the 70-72 system or one of the after market sets.

You also need to retain your hardware as those reman don't include it. Would not send anything off the orig in as a core if it was me.

The master cylinders are available. Hemi and 67 B body had fender side exit. 68 and up engine side except hemi. You can get brake lines for either. Booster can be rebuilt.

The disc are the biggest issue. Not remade, only .88 thick and if worn can't really be machined. I am sure folks have done it but runout can be an issue.
The only alternative was Disc without hubs were made. You then had to have hubs removed and reinstalled on new disc.

So the alternative is moving to the 70-72 system or one of the after market sets.

You also need to retain your hardware as those reman don't include it. Would not send anything off the orig in as a core if it was me.
Not entirely true all small booster cars that I had seen in 68 used the engine side master tubes.

Auto Transport Service
Back