• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Charger - which A833

WikedCharger

Local time
1:38 PM
Reaction score
I'm currently working on getting my 1968 Charger up and running. It has the 383 and 727 but I want to eventually put a 4 speed in it. I'm not familiar with any differences in the A833 transmissions and wanted to ask if there is anything specific to look for (other than the obvious condition) when buying one? I see many on Facebook with a wide range of prices. Any specific code or anything specific? Thanks for any help.

There are 18 spline and 23 spline transmissions. You will pay a lot more for an 18 spline, but 23 is all you need for a stockish 383. You want a B body or E body trans for the correct tailshaft length. A 70 up trans uses the automatic crossmember. A 66 up trans with the slip yoke would make things easier, as you can use your drive shaft.

This video might help. I'm not sure it's 100% correct but you'll get an idea what to look for. Get one with b or b/e tailhousing, non ball trunion, non overdrive unless you want that. They're supposedly weaker and came later on.

18 spline is designed for the hemi. The input shaft is bigger diameter.
23 spline is for the rest and input shaft is a little smaller. Still an excellent tranny. Will be all you need for your 383. Much more affordable.

18 spline is designed for the hemi. The input shaft is bigger diameter.
23 spline is for the rest and input shaft is a little smaller. Still an excellent tranny. Will be all you need for your 383. Much more affordable.
18 spline A833's were also standard in all 440 cars.

Quick question, so the 383 and the 440 use different transmissions? I'm hoping to eventually swap to a 440 but don't want to buy a 23 spline A833 for the 383 if it will not fit the 440. Thanks.

Quick question, so the 383 and the 440 use different transmissions? I'm hoping to eventually swap to a 440 but don't want to buy a 23 spline A833 for the 383 if it will not fit the 440. Thanks.
It'll fit - but understand the factory went to the 18 spline for 440 and hemi cars.

If your rear tires don't hookup, but just spin, a 23 spline will be fine behind a 440.

There is a book on Amazon, Jamie Passions, book for 833 trans. This book is pack full of all the info you’ll need to help you with your journey with the 833.

You’ll need to think about what you are going to do with your car. Are you going to make your Charger a cruiser? Maybe put it on the track from time to time.
This is how you will want to build your transmission

I build driver cruiser’s. I chased down a 833OD, (overdrive) Version of the basic 833 4 speed. I mounted it to a mild build 383 with fuel injection and 3/55 rear gears. I wanted to lower the RPM of the engine and get better fuel economy. I got 16 MPG on the open road and that’s not to shabby.

Now this is my recipe and you will have to figure out what you want to do with your Charger. Google 833 OD articles about others that have gone the OD path, it’s not for everyone but for me it gave me exactly what I desired. The Challenger below is the finished car.

C4A652CB-5F6F-4009-8D05-3E45CCB48DC7.jpeg

So, I've been seeing a large range of prices for just the 4 speed transmission (ranging from $600 to $1,500). I also imagine finding every single piece needed to install this in an automatic car would be expensive and a real challenge. What is a reasonable price to pay for a complete used kit (assuming everything is in good shape). By complete, I mean the bell housing, transmission, shifter/linkage, flywheel, clutch, throw out bearing, shift fork, pilot bearing, Z bar, transmission cross member, bolts etc. I've seen someone locally selling a kit but they want $3,800. To me that seems expensive compared to what stuff costs for an old Chevy. However, I've never tried to do a swap like this on a 68' Charger. Thanks for any additional advice.

$3800 for everything would be stealing it. Check with Brewer's, they will give you a list of absolutely everything you will need for the conversion. It will be north of 5K.

So, that's a good price. Good to know. Again, to clarify, this is not a new kit but looks like a complete used set of items taken out of a Charger. I would imagine a new clutch and a resurface of the flywheel would be needed.

If its an automatic car, you will need a floor hump and a set of pedals as well. A matched set out of a Charger would be ideal, especially if everything works good. The clutch may still be good. You will probably need new front and rear seals as well. You will need the correct shifter, depending on if you have a console or not, and a shifter boot. Might need some of the clutch linkage small parts and boot as well as the frame bracket for the z-bar.

Sorry, forgot to mention the kit does come with a new manual transmission hump sheet metal to convert the automatic car. It also comes with the manual shifter and linkage. I would still need to find the clutch pedal assembly. Forgot to say it also includes the starter, the transmission crossmember and the drive shaft.

Sorry, forgot to mention the kit does come with a new manual transmission hump sheet metal to convert the automatic car. It also comes with the manual shifter and linkage. I would still need to find the clutch pedal assembly. Forgot to say it also includes the starter, the transmission crossmember and the drive shaft.

Make sure it's all for b body. Might be a good idea to post pics and numbers unless you already know it will work.

$3800 for a not complete set up, and used to boot? That is not a grand deal.....
If you buy from Brewers, everything will be new or rebuilt and ready to go.

Auto Transport Service
Back