• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Coronet 500 Project

Once behind that wheel you won't want to park that car. You need to get your woodworking skills ready as you will need a trophy case soon.

Got the Tanks Inc stuff ready to install. Lesson learned by others here is take the advice of the instructions and use Permatex Aircraft Sealer on the gaskets. They look like they would not leak but several here are proof they will. Also got the tanks straps painted and the original tank pad out.

DSC_0041.jpg
DSC_0042.jpg
DSC_0043.jpg
DSC_0044.jpg

Also installed the restored plenum AC box intake and the drivers fresh air vent with new DMT gaskets. Got new J bolts from a member here for a gonga price.

DSC_0045.jpg
DSC_0050.jpg

Also cleaned up and installed the original rear window interior trim.

DSC_0047.jpg
DSC_0049.jpg

Finished up the engine build. Need a few small items to call it done but it is really close and it looks really awesome with the SPI UC on it...

DSC_0051.jpg
DSC_0052.jpg
DSC_0053.jpg
DSC_0054.jpg
DSC_0055.jpg
DSC_0056.jpg
DSC_0057.jpg
DSC_0058.jpg

Just for fun here is what I started with.... amazing transformation..
DSC_0023.jpg
DSC_0024.jpg

I can't believe this here is my parts rack as of 5pm today!

DSC_0059.jpg

This is ALL I HAVE LEFT TO INSTALL

DSC_0060.jpg

The hardest working, longest lasting, most reliable, and most under appreciated Mopar V8 of all time: The 318! I bet with EFI that 318 will run better than many big block Mopars!

I can't believe this here is my parts rack as of 5pm today!

dsc_0059-jpg.393363

You've been robbed . . . somebody took all your parts off the shelf . . . call the police ! ! ! LMAO

That's awesome . . . can't wait until I get to putting my car back together . . . someday . . .

Wow! You are moving right along. You had a nice sunny day yesterday. Looks like you made good use of it.

Are you going with orange box mopar ignition?

MOPAR Orange Box is the very best upgrade you can make for an old mopar.

You've been robbed . . . somebody took all your parts off the shelf . . . call the police ! ! ! LMAO

That's awesome . . . can't wait until I get to putting my car back together . . . someday . . .

I wish somebody broke in restored and put all my parts back on the car!

MOPAR Orange Box is the very best upgrade you can make for an old mopar.
When I talked to a Mopar engine builder in Phoenix about building my 318 to 350 hp before I found Dave in Wetstone he was on the fence about going to electronic ignition he thought it would work fine with the points

It's only three wires and you get a solid (state) ignition system that lasts forever. Chrysler was definitely ahead of the engineering curve when they developed that simple orange box ignition.

If my Road Runner didn't already have MSD, I would have put an orange box ignition on it the day I bought it. I've had very good luck with those boxes (bought from Direct Connection back in the day).

My take: I have heard too many bad things about new MP ignition boxes and distributors to even mess with them. In my box of wiring that came with my car, the MP box had melted its guts out all over the wiring and I have seen first hand these things melt down the firewall like candle wax.
Points are good when they are in tune, just require more work to keep them up. I would prefer a stand alone MSD distributor or (my favorite) install a Pertronix ignition in your stock distributor. It has one extra wire. Add in the Pertronix coil, solid state VR and you can bypass the ballast. I am a believer after using this setup on my 62 Belvedere.

No extra boxes on the firewall and wiring is simple.

Ok now I get what you mean after a good nights sleep :)

Wonder if the UC sprays different than the Euro?

Lol, amazing what some rest does. I may have been throwing too much material but the euro is reduced by direction so it is probably thinner. 4:1:1 as opposed to 1:1

Auto Transport Service
Back