• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 dodge charger passenger front tire rub

Davis Lewis

Local time
2:21 PM
Reaction score
Hi,
When I turn left, my passenger front tire rubs/bends in the passenger fender lip. It seems the passenger front tire is more forward than the driver front. What could be the cause? I recently put new disc brakes and tires so I am not sure if the issue is with the alignemnt or tire size. What is the max stock tire size that could be put on the front/back?

Last edited:
I guess the first thing I would check is the steering centered. From center, the same number of turns lock to lock. Maybe the pitman arm is not clocked correctly, IIRC there are 4 master splines so I guess it could be off 90 degrees. Just thinking out loud.

More info needed. What wheels & tires ? What are the alignment specs ?

What is the backspacing on your rims?

Hi,
When I turn left, my passenger front tire rubs/bends in the passenger fender lip. It seems the passenger front tire is more forward than the driver front. What could be the cause? I recently put new disc brakes and tires so I am not sure if the issue is with the alignemnt or tire size. What is the max stock tire size that could be put on the front/back?
Post some pictures right and left sides along with a front shot.

More info needed. What wheels & tires ? What are the alignment specs ?
Tire size is 235/70R15. Looking again at the car it looks like the passenger fender is not a 68. On the inside of the passenger fender I see a rectangle not circular hole. This hole is covered by filler on the exterior. Is there a difference in wheel well shape/positioning between 68 and 69?

You're coming out of left field with questions, but you have to give more info, pics, history, of what's going on.

A 235 70 is a TALL tire.
I run a 275-40-18 up front and my tires don't rub.

Folsom 5 (2).JPG
Folsom 12 (2).JPG
Folsom 8 (2).JPG

I have mine aligned to .75 degree NEGative Camber, 4 degrees of POSitive Caster and 1/8" toe IN.

A 235 70 is a TALL tire.
I run a 275-40-18 up front and my tires don't rub.

View attachment 1228214 View attachment 1228215 View attachment 1228216

I have mine aligned to .75 degree NEGative Camber, 4 degrees of POSitive Caster and 1/8" toe IN.
Hey kern dog
Seeing your post makes me think I can fit a 275/40/17 on the front of my 69 superbee. What do you think? Any negative side to such wide tires in front?
Thinking
17x9.5 5.5backspce 275/40/17 front
17x9.5 5.5 backspace 285/40/16 rear

** rim is also available in a 17x8 4.5bs
Maybe that would be better for front ?

would love to hear opinions

701CEA54-97F2-4792-9FA3-61BF21326B0F.jpeg

A few possibilities. Ride height too low. Wheels have too little backspace if aftermarket. Not enough (or any) caster in the alignment. A lot of positive camber (typically need a little neg camber with radials). A combination of the above. Obviously most center around the alignment.

Hey kern dog
Seeing your post makes me think I can fit a 275/40/17 on the front of my 69 superbee. What do you think? Any negative side to such wide tires in front?
Thinking
17x9.5 5.5backspce 275/40/17 front
17x9.5 5.5 backspace 285/40/16 rear

** rim is also available in a 17x8 4.5bs
Maybe that would be better for front ?

would love to hear opinions

View attachment 1228299
Any negative side to the 17" wheels? Only the rude comments from dudes that are stuck in the 1970s where they think that 15" wheels were the pinnacle of styling and technology. My car outhandles, out-brakes and in my opinion, looks better than it did with 15" wheels and tires. The 275-40-17 will be at least an inch shorter than my 275-40-18. I have a 9 inch front wheel with 4.5 backspace though. The only rubbing I get is at the frame rail where the tire rubs a flat smooth section and wears off the paint.

A few possibilities. Ride height too low. Wheels have too little backspace if aftermarket. Not enough (or any) caster in the alignment. A lot of positive camber (typically need a little neg camber with radials). A combination of the above. Obviously most center around the alignment.
How is caster adjusted? I believe that will move the passenger front tire closer to the rear of the fender. Also, I will try to get photos tommorow. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

It’s normally adjusted by the eccentric bolts securing the upper a-arm to the fender. Moving the rear leg of the a-arm towards the center line of the car and the front leg towards the outside of the car, increases caster. This also shifts the position of the tire in the wheel well to the rear. The stock suspension is somewhat limited in how much caster can be achieved. Has the car been aligned in recent times that you are aware of? What size tires did you install? Stock wheel rims? Is the front end sitting low? Maybe posting a couple pictures will give a clue.

It’s normally adjusted by the eccentric bolts securing the upper a-arm to the fender. Moving the rear leg of the a-arm towards the center line of the car and the front leg towards the outside of the car, increases caster. This also shifts the position of the tire in the wheel well to the rear. The stock suspension is somewhat limited in how much caster can be achieved. Has the car been aligned in recent times that you are aware of? What size tires did you install? Stock wheel rims? Is the front end sitting low? Maybe posting a couple pictures will give a clue.

I am not sure of the history of the car and do not think it has been aligned in a long time. Tire size is 235/70R15. American racing vector rims I believe, backspacing 3.75". I do not think the front end is sitting low. When I did the front brakes I just installed the spindle and discs. I have attached photos below of the gaps between the fender and tire for driver and passenger. The passenger side tire appears to be 1" closer to the front of the car when the wheels are pointed straight.

Driver_rear.JPG Driver_front.JPG Passenger_rear.JPG Passenger_front.JPG Rims.JPG

Last edited:
Is this frame rot? If not, a strut rod or something is bent.
View attachment 1229239
No there is no rot in that frame rail. Looking at the strut rods fron under the car they appear straight. The photo you have circled is the driver side btw. I may just try adjusting/loosening the eccentric bolts of the upper control arm and see where that gets me.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back