• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Plymouth GTX

So, you signed your work... Then decided to erase your signature?? Damn near a landslide... Cut & buff looks great!!!

Finished the cut and buff on the body today:
Roof Buffed.JPG

Left Quarter Buffed.JPG

And yes, I totally erased my signature. LOL
Right Quarter Buffed.JPG

Taped off the chrome (?) and repainted the black on these quarter panel emblems. It does appear the chrome on the one is a bit lighter than the other. I doubt anyone will notice since they are on opposite sides of the car but it still bothers me.
GTX Quarter Panel.JPG

Don't ya hate that? On my Coronet I tracked down extra OE emblems so I could pick the best matches...

Decided to paint some Bahama Blue today. Most of these parts were black to begin with:
A Pillars and Steering Column Bahama Blue.JPG

Rear View Mirror Painted.JPG

Installed the dash:
Dash Bahama Blue.JPG

Dash Bahama Blue 1.JPG

I have two dash pad cores but the price to get one of them recovered is outrageous. Considering doing it myself but I'm not sure what materials to buy or where to get them.
Anyone know what style/type of vinyl is used?
Original Dash Pad top.JPG

I have two dash pad cores but the price to get one of them recovered is outrageous. Considering doing it myself but I'm not sure what materials to buy or where to get them.
Anyone know what style/type of vinyl is used?
View attachment 1482870
Sorry, I can’t help. I bought a repro and it was made out of some sponge rubber kind of stuff. Nowhere near the feel of the original. If I had to do it again, I would fill the cracks with expanding foam and use regular upholstery vinyl and a heat gun to wrap it around the bends. Contact adhesive on both sides first. I did this before on a vinyl covered foam armrest before with good results.

Thanks, that sounds very similar to what I was thinking.
Well the $500+ dash pads are mostly made in China, so I will not buy one of those.
I need to know what type or brand of vinyl will most closely match the original.

This guy on YouTube named weird beard recovered his dash from a 71 Fury.
He did repair it first using expanding foam and bondo - that's in a previous video.

In this video he does say to buy a 4 way stretch vinyl for the best results.

Thoughts on vinyl match.

Both options are 2 way stretch vinyl and offered by the same company. It's difficult because the original dash is seriously worn. Notice in the upper left corner the grain looks heavier and a closer match to option 1. However on the right side it looks closer to option 2. Ugh!

Original dash:
Vinyl Grain Original.JPG

Option 1
Vinyl Replacement.jpg

Option 2:
Vinyl Replacement 1.jpg

You might want to build out that dash before installing it for good. It's a WHOLE lot easier than laying on your back.

P1010524.JPG

P1010525.JPG

P1010526.JPG

P1010528.JPG

Yes, that is a great idea.
Right now I am trying to get all the parts together. The dash pad restoration and then getting the pads in the right color.
Also, need to rebuild my heater box and get that installed.

I like option 1. I'm interested in the process of re-covering the dash pad. I actually replaced mine a little over 20 years ago with a good used one bought at a car show, and eventually the replacement cracked.

I may end up having to recover mine as the guy who was getting me a new one says the company in El Paso is giving him the run around.
Anybody know what company that may be?

Okay, I ordered the option #1 vinyl, some high density foam sheeting and contact cement.
In the mean time, I dismantled my heater box, media blasted the metal parts to remove rust and painted them.
Using a gloss black for unseen metal but a flat back for the parts that show.
Backside Left.JPG

Heater Fan Blades.JPG

Blasted and painted.JPG

I also took the fresh air cowl vent on the driver's side apart.
Does anyone know where I can purchase the rubber seal shown here?
Fresh Air Vent Seal.jpg

I have all the seals for the heater box but can seem to find anybody selling this one.
Also, the driver's side vent cable is missing the pull knob.

Unfortunately, that seal is not reproduced.

Auto Transport Service
Back