• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Plymouth GTX

First round of block sanding with guide coat has begun.
This is the roof, which is so much easier to reach with the rotisserie I might add.
Roof First Round Block Sanding 180 grit.JPG

Oh boy, is it! just keep blocking until you go through and use an "X" pattern. Here's what my roof looked like. Notice the supports underneath?
while I was blocking it:
DSCF8651.JPG

I started to shoot two more coats of 2k Build Primer but ran out after only 1 coat. UPS didn't deliver my new order until later that day.
Since sanding was necessary before applying anymore primer, I went ahead and block sanded the car with 320 grit.
Here's the roof:
2nd Round Block Sanding with 320 grit.  After additional coat of 2k.JPG

I did find some oil canning metal on the trunk lid and got that taken care, plus I hit metal in few areas on the quarter panels.
Got the areas taken care of and spotted in with epoxy primer.

Today I shot 2 more coats of 2k build primer. Things are starting to look much better.

Final 2 coats on left quarter 1.JPG

Final 2 coats on right quarter 1.JPG

Final 2 Coats on Roof.JPG
Final 2 Coats on Tail Panel.JPG

Cowl Right.JPG

I will let this sit for a couple of days, while I start working on the underside.

You'll take 75% of that primer off when you block it. Those quarter are L-O-N-G-! 120 grit sticky paper on a long board.
Use a spray bottle with water and a couple of drops of soap to be able to see how your progress is coming along. A well
placed light will help!
20160319_150615.jpg
20160319_150536.jpg
20160319_153216.jpg

It's coming along great.

To the OP, I have to say thanks for being a valuable resource on the body and paint forums that I have checked out over the years, and now this one too.

Thinking about how many times I've seen examples of your work on
the spi user forum and autobody 101 while researching whatever topic I was looking for at the time, and now you're here too, thinking of the pics of beautiful work you've posted over time.....well you obviously know what you're doing.
I can't tell you how many times I'd go digging for information, was wondering if you'd weigh in on a topic and usually, you did.

I might not be able to make EXACTLY the same process as someone else work for me, but I can
always use a piece of it or an idea from it.

Between all these and youtube, it is amazing how much info there is.

Facebook seems to have one good group and one horrible one.

It's coming along great.

To the OP, I have to say thanks for being a valuable resource on the body and paint forums that I have checked out over the years, and now this one too.

the spi user forum and autobody 101 while researching whatever topic I was looking for at the time, and now you're here too, thinking of the pics of beautiful work you've posted over time.....well you obviously know what you're doing.
I can't tell you how many times I'd go digging for information, was wondering if you'd weigh in on a topic and usually, you did.

I might not be able to make EXACTLY the same process as someone else work for me, but I can

Thanks for the kind words.

When I started my first serious restoration I had many questions and, like you, I searched for help and answers. Back then it seemed there were only a couple of places to get detailed information.

It was then I decided to post pictures and comments of my progress so others could learn from my mistakes and experiences. The fact is, I learn something new on every project. Often it's what NOT to do. LOL

I'm one of those people who doesn't do Facebook, never have and don't plan to start.

You'll take 75% of that primer off when you block it. Those quarter are L-O-N-G-! 120 grit sticky paper on a long board.
Use a spray bottle with water and a couple of drops of soap to be able to see how your progress is coming along. A well
placed light will help!View attachment 1442983View attachment 1442984View attachment 1442985

I am just now cleaning up the underside of my car and it's a lot of work.
Did you paint the underside the same color as the outside will be? I have been debating whether to paint the underside black or body color?

Yes I did. I wanted it to be easy to wipe down if I got cought in a rainstorm and weeping trans fluid from the rear
of the trans.
Connectors painted.jpg

I am just now cleaning up the underside of my car and it's a lot of work.
Did you paint the underside the same color as the outside will be? I have been debating whether to paint the underside black or body color?
In the past I've always painted the bottom body color, not technically correct but it looks good & offers good protection...

On my Coronet I sprayed the bottom with urethane paint that replicates the original dip primer but offers a lot more protection that the dip primer.... And of course the obligatory overspray...

:thumbsup:It's coming along great.

Yes, exactly what I was thinking!! :thumbsup:

Yep, U.S. Car Tool. They have a little X-tra stock on them in places so you have to have
a die grinder to make them fit perfect but yeah, they're nice!
DSCF8585.JPG
DSCF8587.JPG
DSCF8593.JPG
DSCF8599.JPG
DSCF8616.JPG

Decided to work on the underside before going any farther. Man I wish it hadn't taken me so long to buy a rotisserie.

Two coats of SPI black Epoxy:
Underside.JPG

Still considering the frame stiffeners.

I'm going to mount the doors and front fenders to check gaps and fit before going any farther with the block sanding.

Got the front fenders out of the shed and put on the car today.
They are not in terrible shape but will still need some work. The doors are next and then I can get an idea of the work yet to be done.
Right Test Fit.JPG

Left Test Fit.JPG

If you have the tail panel, do yourself a favor and test fit it now with the tail lights. Damn few of them line up well from the factory and you very well might end up having to relocate the holes in the deck lid a bit.

Got the doors installed yesterday and the fit is decent.
The passenger side is the better of the two.
Body line shot:
Test Fit Body Lines.JPG

Test Fit Body Lines.JPG

Passenger side Front Gap:
Test Fit Front gap.JPG

Rear Gap:
Test Fit Rear Gap.JPG

The lower rear corner area shows some issues with the body:
Test Fit Rear Corner.JPG

It's worse on the Driver's side:
Test Fit Lower Rear Corner.JPG

I'm going to try and move the lower hinge forward a bit to try and even the rear gap.

Test Fit Rear Gap.JPG

Before messing with this any further. Should I do this on the rotisserie or put the car on jackstands?

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back