• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Plymouth GTX

Here's a 68 Sales Brochure...

View attachment 1661011

The GTX was the top of the line.. It came with lots of trim as standard equipment... I'd be more concerned about a GTX without trim than one with trim....
I remember that trim as being rare back in the day. Saw a few GTXs that had it, most didn't. None of the seven I've owned were equipped that way, a bit surprising in the current one, as it had nearly every available factory option. Interesting that it was standard on the convertible, optional on hardtop, per the Hamtramck sheet.

Baby Blue. Never restored. No door trim, none specified on build sheet.
68 gtx bill frost 003.JPG
Bob gtx.jpg

Last edited:
My GTXer does not have them either. I know she's been repainted once in her life and they may have left them off(?) Ill have to check the broadcast sheet when I get home to see if it was coded with the 540.

Well, I have a 68 RS23L8A with no molding at the top of the door. Not a vert!
I checked the fender tag and nothing!

Last edited:
Apparently one of the areas where Mopar saved a few pennies on most Plymouths... Pretty common on a Coronet R/T...

Oh, 540 isn't the only way to get the belt line moldings.. Also part of package 353...

I would think it would be on the broadcast sheet and not the fender tag. Not 100% on that though.

This is exactly why I love this site so much. Tons of great information and knowledgeable people willing to help.

My car was built in late 1967 so it does have somethings the later models didn't. Like the 150 mph speedometer.

CAR: Plymouth GTX 2 Door Hardtop
ENGINE: 440cid 4-bbl HP V8
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic
TIRES: F70x14 Red Sidewall, Steel Belted
MODEL YEAR: 1968
BUILD DATE: October 06.
AXLE: 3.23 Rear Axle Ratio

INTERIOR: Sport Trim Grade, Vinyl Bucket Seats. Light Blue Interior.
PAINT: Bright Blue Metallic (Dodge), Electric Blue Metallic (Plymouth).
OTHER: Light Blue Metallic (Dodge), Frost Blue Metallic (Plymouth) Upper Door Frame Color. Blue Horizontal Sport Stripe.

MOLDINGS:
19: Wide Sill Mouldings
25: Drip Rail Mouldings
30: Body Belt Mouldings
78: Wheel Lip Mouldings

ABC OPTIONS:
P6: Rear Seat Speaker
R1: AM Radio
X2: Tinted Windshield Only

abc OPTIONS:
a6: Console
b4: Bucket Seats
h7: Fender or Hood Mounted Turn Signal Indicators

Paint Code QQ1
First Q is roof color
Second Q is body color
1 = monotone

Hmm, I just noticed that I should have fender mounted turn signals.

Last edited:
Just a reminder of what was the start of this thread... Gotta say you've made a lotta progress...

Left Side.jpg

Just a reminder of what was the start of this thread... Gotta say you've made a lotta progress...

View attachment 1661067
Left Side.jpg

I needed this reminder. It seems it has take forever to get this far.
The car had been completely dismantled by this shop and the owner got it back with the engine and tranny on a pallet, as well as boxes full of other parts.
Digging through the piles of stuff I have in a storage shed was when I found these moldings. At first I couldn't figure where they went, then I noticed the holes in the top of the doors and counted the fasteners on each molding and they matched. Test fitted and viola!
I did find out that the door sill moldings don't match, the rear window moldings are missing and rocker panel moldings are in need of a lot of work to get the shine back.
Not having a lot of money, I have to buy a few items at a time and then pay off the credit card before buying anything else. Hence the amount of time it takes to get things done.

Nope. No 540 on my broadcast nor my fender tag...

GTX Fender Tag Decode-1.PNG
GTX Fender Tag Decode-2.PNG

Attachments

• GTX Broadcast Sheet Color.pdf
    390.3 KB · Views: 13
Getting ready to install the door weather stripping. In the manual it shows two fasteners at the vent window needed but I have no idea what they are? My guess would be screws of some sort.
Door Seal Fastener Location.JPG

Last edited:
Anybody have two of these Rocker Panel molding clips for sale?
Rocker Panel Molding Retainers.jpg

The package I bought is two short of what I need. Hate to buy a whole other package for just two clips.

You know the front locations don't use those right? They originally had a metal clip with a stud & a nut..

As does mine..
Wish I would have taken more car when removing the old ones. I just ripped them off thinking I would be buying new.
Bought the kit and it's two pieces short, contacted them about it and nothing . . .

So I ordered the window felt kit form Classic Industries made by Repops.
The door felts seem to be of good quality and look as though they will fit. However not the case with the quarter window felts. They are nearly 8" too short as can be seen in this picture:
Wrong Window Felt.jpg

Double checked the part number I ordered and it says for a 1968 GTX. So sent an email to customer service department and will wait to see what they say.

Auto Transport Service
Back