• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Runner post w/ 6.1L, 6 speed, IRS

Thanks for the prayers and encouragement. For the first time in two months, I ventured out to the shop this week (twice!). My right shoulder (I'm right handed) has very limited range and i have to take it easy since the bones haven't grown together yet. The first day, I removed all the windshield trim clips from the window channels. Yesterday, I started the process of stripping the remaining red exterior paint. I only had 2 hours in me. In that time, I stripped most of the top of the right quarter panel. Here's about 30 minutes in...
uaM4cx3.jpg

This is all I got done
Zjd3YO8.jpg

The disc on the left is the one I was using. I like them because they are quite effective and yet they don't build up much heat in the sheetmetal. I was using air and a fearless grinder.
sgM0cHC.jpg

Wow! Prayers sent and you’re very fortunate to have had the accident to find the cancer. Good luck on your project and your new lease on life!

Wow! You have gone through a lot. You have a beautiful family! We will definitely keep you in our prayers. It is great what modern medical technology can do. I know that it is hard to take it easy but keep doing what you should and value your time with your family.
Your car is looking good.

Hi great build!! Hope you are doing well with your recovery from the surgery. I ran across you build here a few weeks ago and I am very interested in the IRS install. I was wouldering what angle did you set the pinion/cradle to the car. I am currently trying to put one in a 70 Challenger and I'm concerned about the angle of the cradle and tire wear if it is not right. Thanks for any help you can give me.

I can't remember exactly but it was 4.5 degrees (+/- 0.5 degrees)

What year suspension will you be using? This is one of the most important questions since that will affect the amount of vertical travel you will have.

Last edited:
I can't remember exactly but it was 4.5 degrees (+/- 0.5 degrees)

What year suspension will you be using? This is one of the most important questions since that will affect the amount of vertical travel you will have.

Sorry it taken me so long to reply. I'm using an 2011 SRT8 IRS. I have it installed and set at 2* up in the body. Based off of my measurements in the donord car it was set at 2* up in it. I narrowed it 5" now I have to find some shorter axles.

What are you doing about your axles? I have tried to get in touch with the Drive Shaft Shop but can't get a return call or email. Another company in Illinois has giving me a price on making the 2 splined shafts. But I'd like to get at least a price from the Driveshaft Shop.

I used the driveshaft shop but the axles are not cheap. Since mopar differentials are not centered (offset an inch to the passenger side), I was able to swap the passenger side axle over the drivers side and just order one custom axle. But one custom axle was something like $800 from the DSS.

I've SLOWLY been stripping paint over the past 4 weeks. I'm stripping the large open surfaces so the media blaster won't warp them. I'll have the media blaster use aluminum oxide to strip all the jams, inside, engine bay, and bottom side of the car.
uUGTM59.jpg

iOamwMl.jpg

wALQPL7.jpg

I also dug out all the putty/sealant that in the gutter rail. That stuff was HARD and difficult to get out!

wUywHzc.jpg

After getting t-boned in my 1969 charger in December, I started to really think and worry about side protection. If the other guy had hit me in the door of the charger (instead of the front fender), I would have been in serious trouble. After mulling it over, I decided to send the Roadrunner back over to my buddy's shop in order to install a 6 point cage that will provide me with some side protection. We will also plan for some modern seatbelts with inertial reels. I don't want the car to be annoying to get in and out of, but my wreck has made me look at things from a different perspective. While its there, the lower radiator support will get boxed/reinforced, and plates will be welded in so that it can be provisioned for a Monte Carlo bar.

Without the front fenders, the front wheels look so huge...it looks weird.

4HeTBEm.jpg

O0RII1M.jpg

A9xvIr2.jpg

I’be got a question about the SRT seats. How are you going to hook them up? I’m doing the exact same thing in my 70’s Satellite.

They’re pretty easy to wire up. Just wire in a ground, a power wire, and a relay to the seat wiring harness.

What is the definition of easy? I don’t have an electrical background. I’m an mechanical engineer.

A relay takes the load off a switch, makes everything last longer.

The cage should finish up next week but here are a few early pics
VAhm7wd.jpg

c7FUGIM.jpg

XfEEh1g.jpg

4uvLdzZ.jpg

OsxPl0H.jpg

Matt tabbed up some finish panels that I'm really happy with...
gXOdSPx.jpg

70B5 you are an (or should be) inspiration to us all. Your build is awesome as well as your ability. But what stands out to me the most is what you have been through and your attitude. We all (or most of us) tend to complain about all the little issues we have in our lives and things not going right on our builds. And it is all no big deal in reality. When instead we should be thanking our Lord for the blessings in our lives. I love the your favorite picture of the girls in the charger. Glad you weren't hurt and that you came through everything else well. I look forward to seeing your RR completed. You are a master craftsman.
And thank you for sharing.

GOD BLESS

70B5 you are an (or should be) inspiration to us all. Your build is awesome as well as your ability. But what stands out to me the most is what you have been through and your attitude. We all (or most of us) tend to complain about all the little issues we have in our lives and things not going right on our builds. And it is all no big deal in reality. When instead we should be thanking our Lord for the blessings in our lives. I love the your favorite picture of the girls in the charger. Glad you weren't hurt and that you came through everything else well. I look forward to seeing your RR completed. You are a master craftsman.
And thank you for sharing.

GOD BLESS

Thank you for the kind words. It has been quite tough at times but throughout it all, I have been reminded about what is important in life and I am grateful for this life. I hope that others in tough spots can be encouraged by this whole story and by my faith in God. Life is but a vapor...

And as far as my fab skills, I am NOT a master craftsman!!! I have ideas, I do the grunt prep work to save money, and I hustle parting out/selling cars to make money to support this hobby, but the fabrication/welding is all done by a local friend (Matt) who is supremely talented with metal fab.

Auto Transport Service
Back