• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 to 1969 rear

Beepbeepziptang

Local time
10:42 AM
Reaction score
I can pickup a solid 68 Satellite for a decent price. I would like to convert it to a 69 RR clone. I know this is not ideal and will upset some on here lol....

How is this done? I know the tailight extensions will not work directly, because i had a 68 years ago that i restored and the ebay seller accidentally sent me 69 extensions that did not work

Anyway, curious how this might be accomplished. Buying an actual 69 RR/Satty/Belvedere has long passed me price wise.

the 68 around here is rust free and cheap

Thoughts? Please don't roast me too much :)

Quarter panel is a different shape in the rear on sides and top is looks like. I have a 68 and they look less slanted/angled. I would think you would have to swap the quarter or atleast the rear portion of it. Believe the trunk lid will fit differently as well. You will also have to swap the fenders or atleast change the side markers to rectangle shaped lights vs the round 68 lights in front and rear.

Price wise you are better off keeping it a 68. You said the 69's had passed you up on price, so when you add it all up you will have more in a making a 68 into a 69, than just buying a 69. This is my opinion, there may be others.

Price wise you are better off keeping it a 68. You said the 69's had passed you up on price, so when you add it all up you will have more in a making a 68 into a 69, than just buying a 69. This is my opinion, there may be others.

Agreed 110%, plus when/if you go to sell it, the resale is not appealing at all with a 68 Vin and a 68/69 cut up body. Everyone says I would never sell it, but life happens and if you need to dump it for some cash, it'll be 10 times harder to do so. If it was bolt on,it won't hurt value as bad. If you start adding metal and weld on items from the 69, its toast for resale.

I would have guessed a 1968 RR clone would have been better as it was the first year for the Road Runner.
If the car is as solid as you say just find 68 stuff.

Auto Transport Service
Back