• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 xp29

68_Siren

Local time
10:43 PM
Reaction score
So, I'm restarting the thread because I can't change the name. I found this car 6? Years ago. At the time I hadn't the resources, time or knowledge to even consider it a lost cause. Over time I've been working on my 76 D100 and getting more bold. So I decided to revisit the Charger in the trees at the same place where I got half of my truck parts and advice.

I was doing some research on wrecked chargers to see who else has tackled damage like this before. I stumbled across this thread and one of the cars looked familiar... Look at the trees around it then!

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=2kdq7aj0r13krsenprlas8eh46&topic=19633.25

When I found it,

utf-8BSU1BRzA4OTAuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzA4OTEuanBn.jpg

Cleared some trees and junk.

utf-8BSU1BRzA5OTMtMS5qcGc.jpg

Putting in a spare 8 3/4 I had around to bolt on some wheels. Easier then I though it would be...

utf-8BSU1BRzE2MjYuanBn-1.jpg

And as she sits now.

utf-8BSU1BRzE2MjguanBn.jpg

The car I want to use for a front end, the 70 coroner. its a 4 door
O
utf-8BSU1BRzA4NDMuanBn.jpg

I call her a Siren, because she calls me to her and even tho I know it will be the death of me, I can't resist.

If the Coroner falls through, my back up plan is to find a first gen Ram, shorten the chassis to spec, put the body on, drop the frame to the weeds and rock it that way. Truck parts are cheep and available. This opens to have the only? 68 Charger with a 12 Valve Cummins. Think about it, torque, fuel mileage and WTF factor.

BTW, the Charger was Free.

So, yea. Is there anyone who can say that for 100% all the structural parts I need for the charger can be donated from the coronet?

According to AMD's website,

All 66-70 front frame rails are the same, as are the inner fenders (aprons). They show the radiator support as 66-68 being the same... however that may be a typo... I'm not sure.

Give it a shot... if the Charger is free, and you can get a parts car cheap. Why not?

The front clip off the Belvedere beside it will fit minus the outer sheetmetal.

It sure looks like a big project but if you can get what you need there at the same place, being free i cant see how it could go wrong.. If the rails aren't bad and the front does look like they might be with the damage but its hard to tell with a picture, Give it a shot, if it doesn't fit the bill and you find it to be to much, you can always stop loosing nothing. Good luck, it truly would be a great car to bring back, expensive and lots of work but it can be done!

Oh, the coronets beside in the trees... They are too nice to use for parts. They would be the smarter bet to rebuild, but the charger...

I'm sure the rails are bent but I have a fsm for it and a friend with a body shop who wants me to recover some seats for him.

Like I said, if the frame is too far gone, ill see if I can drop it on a truck chassis.

From what I've seen on this site in just the last 2 years, The question is not- Is it to far gone? The question is- How much work do you want to do? The Dodge service manual gives all the frame alignment measurements you need to build the whole car from scratch. And they are the same for the Charger and the Coronet.

Attachments

• IMAG1051_zpsfc3c56dc.jpg
    IMAG1051_zpsfc3c56dc.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 233
Something you may want to think about is the VIN stamping on the top of the radiator support. I only mention it because if there is ever a legal issue where they may want to check the authenticity it would be nice if it was still correct. Having these numbers ( trunk opening as well) still in place saved me once so I just thought I'd mention it. I like the Diesel idea, I have a 75 Torino I've been thinking about dropping a Diesel.

Years ago I had a 64 Galaxie, I was just looking at pictures of them one day and found an article where a guy put a power-less stroke in one. Can't think of a better engine for a land yacht like that.

Auto Transport Service
Back