• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Charger 225 Slant 6

Hey, nobody is saying that there is anything wrong with trying to eek out ever inch of h.p. from a /6 if that is what trips your trigger.

All of my comments are directed at the OP and his thought of buying one of these Chargers with the thoughts of it ever being worth anything more than a donor body for a V8 car OR it ever being much of an attention getter at a show. My point was, that MOST would not certainly make it a quest to seek one out and spend any real $$s doing so. It is one thing if there is a real nice one sitting close by that you can purchase for body value or a little more if that is what turns you on. And yes, i know many don't do these thing for the money.

Dont think i have ever seen a slant 6 Charger but there was a 70 Challenger running around my old neighborhood when i was a kid with a 6 in it. Probably long gone now.

i think its funny when we go to shows and i open my hood, people walk by my buddies challengers and cudas to check out the hopped up 6. now i know i couldnt sell my car for half of what i have into it. but who cares. im not in it for the value. im a car guy. sounds like some people around here just need to compensate for where they are lacking in other places. :) if i could find a clean slant six charger i would leave it and drive it everywhere. and then listen to all the guys at the shows tell me "what motor i should put in it"

exactly my point it's different and its going to draw attention .

Not a '69 model, but I looked at this car a couple of years ago (almost bought it). It was a super nice solid '73. I was shocked when I raised the hood....it was a 225 Slant 6. I didn't take any pics of the engine, but here's the car.....
DSC_0687.jpg

Jason

Well just like you wouldn't pay $199,000 for a 440 Auto with Air you wouldn't pay a disproportional amount of money for a sixer. I'd give $9,000 for a condition 2 or 3 body with a matching numbers drivetrain. That is true that many aren't for money, because everyone knows money doesn't buy you happiness, it just gets you closer.

68/69/70 Slant 6 production numbers

Had to go and dig these production numbers out. It is interesting, the 318 V-8 was the standard engine & the 225 slant 6 was optional.

Breakdown

1968: Total slant 6 production 904
1968 Three Speed 1
1968 Automatic 903

1969: Total slant 6 production 462
1969: Three Speed Manual 262
1969 Automatic 200

1970: Total slant 6 production 209
1970 Base Charger Three Speed 104
1970 Base Charger Automatic 77
1970 Charger 500 Three Speed 9
1970 Charger 500 Automatic 19

The rarest would be a 1968 with 3 Speed manual. After 40 plus years who knows what the survival rate is. Maybe there is an obscure person in some corner of the planet that is infatuated with them & has a Charger slant 6 registry.

Had to go and dig these production numbers out. It is interesting, the 318 V-8 was the standard engine & the 225 slant 6 was optional.

Breakdown

1968: Total slant 6 production 904
1968 Three Speed 1
1968 Automatic 903

1969: Total slant 6 production 462
1969: Three Speed Manual 262
1969 Automatic 200

1970: Total slant 6 production 209
1970 Base Charger Three Speed 104
1970 Base Charger Automatic 77
1970 Charger 500 Three Speed 9
1970 Charger 500 Automatic 19

The rarest would be a 1968 with 3 Speed manual. After 40 plus years who knows what the survival rate is. Maybe there is an obscure person in some corner of the planet that is infatuated with them & has a Charger slant 6 registry.

The sixer was optional in '68 because it was a midyear intro.

Another one-off rarity is a 1970 Slant 6 Charger in Panther Pink!!! :rolling:

A number of years ago there was an A4 Silver 69 Charger No Vinyl, slant 6 auto with a black bucket seat interior a one of the local boneyards, I was pretty surprised and had to read the VIN and sure enough. I bet they were like trying to move the Queen Mary out from a red light! Hopefully no A/C ones were made:grin:

They are nonetheless neat to see now and even more so of those who appreciate them enough to preserve them.

Nice engine sslantscamp...

Many performance parts are available (maybe not extremely easy, though) for slant sixes.

I knew a guy back in high school that had a 67 Dart, slant six, four speed with a Holley four barrel and a header. I think it was like .40 over with a lopey cam.

It would smoke many an unsuspecting camaro, and the look of shock if someone asked to see under the hood was priceless.

I think Clifford and Offenhauser made some cool parts for these.

I still say TURBO, though.

I always wanted to put a 2.2 turbo 5 speed in a 65 Barracuda, and then graft on the hood bump, and maybe T tops.

I once lost a bet to my uncle, who said Dodge/Plymouth offered a four barrel from the factory in 62/63 ish on sixes called the Hyper Pack. A couple months later one of the mags featured one.

I too am not going to knock the 225. They were great engines. But for me, in many B or C bodies, the car is just too much under powered. I had a 65 Fury with a 318 and 3 on the tree and sold it because I got tired of pushing it just to keep up with traffic. But my Valiant with a 318 would smoke the tires. A C was just too heavy for a small V8. My current C has a 383. Not the fastest thing on the road but at least if I want it to go, it goes!

Below, 2 pics of the Fury, 2 of the 73 Valiant (also had a 69 with a 273) and my current 67 Newport.

Attachments

• 65front.JPG
    65front.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,097
  • 65Lrear.JPG
    65Lrear.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,121
  • MVC-006S.JPG
    MVC-006S.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,056
  • MVC-008S.JPG
    MVC-008S.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,056
  • 1-19-10 side.jpg
    1-19-10 side.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,229
I too am not going to knock the 225. They were great engines. But for me, in many B or C bodies, the car is just too much under powered. I had a 65 Fury with a 318 and 3 on the tree and sold it because I got tired of pushing it just to keep up with traffic. But my Valiant with a 318 would smoke the tires. A C was just too heavy for a small V8. My current C has a 383. Not the fastest thing on the road but at least if I want it to go, it goes!

Below, 2 pics of the Fury, 2 of the 73 Valiant (also had a 69 with a 273) and my current 67 Newport.

Very cool pics :D

My '74 Satellite Custom is a 4 door AND a 225 slant six. I love the car...it gets all 6 members of my family anywhere they need to go. Just drove it from Rochester, NY to Longview, Tx with minimal problems (None of which had anything to do with the engine). Has 117,000 on the odometer at the moment and still runs like a champ.

Now...with that said....I would not be complaining one bit if it had a 318 or larger engine...take a long time to get it going but it loves 75 with the 2:79 (?) gears and has absolutely NO acceleration due to said gear ratio.

Car is way too nice to hack up so I will leave it as it is and eventually when the funds allow get a nicer car preferably a 77-78 Fury/Monaco Police car with a big block engine.

Im one of the select few that enjoys the 4 doors...mainly because the family necessitates such.

426HEMICHARGER, if you have a chance, come to the Hot Summer Nights car show in Lafayette IN to view a time capsule presentation of a /6 Auto Charger. If I remember correctly, it was his grandma'a car (all original) and always in the family. You may find a picture of the car on the HSN website from past shows. Neat car!

I had a 65 Fury with a 318 and 3 on the tree and sold it because I got tired of pushing it just to keep up with traffic. But my Valiant with a 318 would smoke the tires.

I recently looked at a 65 Fury I /6 three on the tree. I doubt you could by a cheaper '65 Fury than this one was. That's a lot of car for a /6.

I was reading a back issue of MCG I have and I saw a blue Charger that was a slant 6. I thought it was really cool. I am starting a search for one now because I expect it to be hard. I know little to nothing about the 225 and the Charger body that the engine goes into. What are the differences other than the obvious? I want a general discussion on anything that has a VIN XP29B9*******.

Todd Sabatke is the owner.. I bought his 68 Charger 318 8 years ago.

Marcel
the Netherlands

Auto Transport Service
Back