• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Charger 225 Slant 6

My 66 Belvedere 2dr post came as a /6 car and I drove it that way for about 10 years....because the ac still worked lol. Holley carb equipped. When I got it, it ran 22 and change at the track. Had to do something about that so I started working on suspension (improved RT a lot), exhaust, carb, timing, advance curve, etc. Jetting up the carb a bit and getting rid of the choke plate and shaft helped a lot and with a straight pipe exhaust, aluminum flex fan and the other things, it ran...get this, consistent 19.66 ET. A bit later on, I swapped out the dinky 7 1/4 (or whatever it was) 2.94 rear for an 8 3/4 with 4.10's. That brought it down to an 18.10 best but still way too slow. I also put the car on a diet and took it from 3370 down to 2950. That alone was mostly responsible for the move from 22's to the 19's. With good RT's and consistent ET's, it went 7 rounds one night and took home a trophy so it now has some good history because that leaning tower of power is long gone!

Even tho I've had a few /6 cars and this one isn't the first one to play with like that, I can't say I'm a fan of them. I bought the 66 because it was a 2dr post. In the mid 70's, I fixed up a 67 Dart and the donor car just happened to be a /6 car and I needed a cheap ride at the time. It too was modified like the 66 after awhile. It ran some low 17's with 3.91's. The only vehicle I bought on purpose that had a /6 was a 74 pickup that was clean clean clean. That was in 76 and I drove that slow *** pig for 5 years and haven't had another /6 in a truck since. I have a 95 Dakota with the V6 and it has a good deal more power than any slant I've ever had but I'll take a teen over a 6 any day. About /6 cars that are rare? Well, sixes just don't float my boat but if they float yours, that's fine with me and if I ever end up with a rare /6 car, I'll try to sell it to someone that appreciates it more than I do but if there are no takers....no telling what I might do with it lol. My 66 is kinda rare. How many 66 /6 2 dr post Belvederes were built with factory ac?

The bottom line for this entire thread is that when people see a 68-70 Charger they think performance or luxury performance car, NOT /6 economy car.

If you think of them are rare, desirable, and sought after, you are sadly mistaken. Sure, some guys may think that the novality of it is cool but 99% of the people see them (if a nice car) as a potential donor body or parts car for a performance Charger.

There is always a faster car and rich guys with Hemis around... i just like seeing unusual cars. Personally, ill stick with my 440, but i would love to see a /6 charger... something different.

There is always a faster car and rich guys with Hemis around... i just like seeing unusual cars. Personally, ill stick with my 440, but i would love to see a /6 charger... something different.

I agree, I wouldn't give up my 440 for one either, it's really the novelty of it.:icon_syda:

I just ran across this thread. According to the 1969 charger registry they made 200 /6's with Auto transmission and 262 /6's with 3-speeds.
I happen to have one of the ones with a /6 and 3 speed on the column, and have been debating on whether to rebuild it stock with factory paint etc...(it was bright blue from the factory)or build a bright hemi orange General Lee Replica... and the debate still there. Initially thinking like many other's, "its only a 6 banger" and wanting to put in a 440 auto....now I am actually considering keeping it stock. I bought the car for my daughter...so I more than likely will let her make that decision.
thanks to the moderator for this site...love me a b body!

Sorry to dig this one up from the graveyard, but I wanted to chime in on it. I have a 1970 base model Charger with the factory /6 and 3 speed manual on the column. According to the 1970 Dodge Charger Registry, it is one of 104 per model type, engine and transmission combo for Chargers in that year. It was originally FE5 Medium Red (one of 15), with a V1X Black vinyl top (one of 21) and a C2XA Charcoal (with grey inserts) bench seat interior (one of 51). On the fender tag it had E34 (slant six), D11 (three on the tree manual), A73 (easy order package), M21 (drip molding), M31 (belt molding), TX9 (black door frames) and the R11 AM radio (one of 95 base model Charger /6). That information is from http://1970chargerregistry.com/Production/XH_6cyl.html I found it in central Nebraska for an acquaintance in the mid-90s after he sold me his WHS 69 Charger project. A few years passed and I ended up purchasing the /6 Charger for my oddball collection. It is rough (paint), rusty (underneath), but otherwise complete. It has been registered with TDC and the 1970 Dodge Charger Registry. Very few second generation /6 Chargers survived intact over the years, most were converted into either parts cars or hot rods. Not this one. I will be restoring it back to factory condition as time and money allows (patience is a virtue). I have shown it only once at a local show and it did attract more attention than the other big block Mopars in attendance, even in the rough condition that it was in.

On the subject of 1968 /6 three speed manual column Chargers, I have seen a few of them over the years. They are rare, but not unique. The one of one designation was put there when only one of them was registered, not from a factory data source. The 1970 Charger 500 SE /6 is a legit one of one car (but it has yet to surface, the build sheet for it has been found though in another Charger). I hope it does one day show back up, but chances are that it is already lost to time....

Last edited:
I was reading a back issue of MCG I have and I saw a blue Charger that was a slant 6. I thought it was really cool. I am starting a search for one now because I expect it to be hard. I know little to nothing about the 225 and the Charger body that the engine goes into. What are the differences other than the obvious? I want a general discussion on anything that has a VIN XP29B9*******.

Its the same deal with small engine 1st gen camaros. Everyone wanted a big block or a hemi, so not many were ordered. The ones that were ordered were crunched or converted into 1100 HP drag cars.

Its the same deal with small engine 1st gen camaros. Everyone wanted a big block or a hemi, so not many were ordered. The ones that were ordered were crunched or converted into 1100 HP drag cars.

Not all of them were crunched, modified or dragged. They may be few and far between, but some do exist in original form. The reason why Dodge kept a /6 in the base model Charger for 1970 was for the low advertised price: $3,001.00. Dealers would use that to bring in new Charger buyers and then guide them into more expensive models and options. To get a /6 Charger, you had to demote the base engine (318) down to the 225, a no cost option that few did at the time. Mine was a dealer ordered car, probably to draw in on the advertising price as it has very few options....

No replacement. For displacement. Period. If you like your /6, you can keep your/6.

Yes, I will be keeping this one stock with the slant six in place. I have plenty of big block projects to play with on the performance end, so this one is just for show....

No replacement. For displacement. Period. If you like your /6, you can keep your/6.

that saying does not apply anymore...with today's engine technology and management, most of our cars will get smoked by the newer cars with less than have the displacement. And I bet most here would loose a race with a factory supercharged Mini Cooper as well

I myself would rather see a factory slant six Charger than all the other big block ones that are at the shows every year

Time will tell how long these overwound 2 liter rubber bands last.

Auto Transport Service
Back