• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Charger R/T - Have the shell, now the fun starts....

JHyatt14

Local time
3:30 AM
Reaction score
Well, since I have been drooling with envy over H2E's 69 Charger R/T Rebuild I decided to start my own thread on my own 69 R/T rebuild. A little background.... I found this car on Craigslist in Syracuse, NY. The ad was listing an original 69 R/T that had "driver quality paint" that was completely gutted and needed a motor/tranny and interior. The ad showed no photos of the car so of course I was skeptical but it wasn't too bad of a drive so I figured what the hell. Needless to say I was really happy with what I found when I went there. I found a car that is indeed an original R/T. The car was originally a Copper Metallic with black interior but is now painted black. The car is an original 440 / Automatic / 3.55 posi. The owner had a motor/tranny out of a 78 Winnie that was a package deal with the car. After some haggling I purchased the car and got her home. The original plan was to use the 78' equipment. Now that I have had some time with the car I decided that she needed better treatment than that. I was able to locate a date coded 69' 440 E440 HP block. I also located a rebuilt 69' big block 727 and a 1969 489 center section. Photo's to follow. Now it is nearly impossible to do a job anywhere as good as H2E is doing on his 69', but... here goes nothin'!

Sounds great, Pics please.

Welcome to the site and thanks for the compliments. Lets see some pics of that bad boy. Copper Metallic as in T5? That's a great color on these B-bodies - I wish mine was that color originally.

Photos...

Here is the collection of the photo's I have so far. The storage unit pictures are on the day that I got the car. The picture of the block wrapped up is the 69 440' block when it arrived at my house. I had it bored .30 over. Then you can see a picture of the low end completed with the .30 over TRW Flat Top Forged Pistons. Lunati Cam. The last picture is from today when I trailered the car up at my house and brought it to the garage to begin the reassembly and motor/tranny install. More to follow.. Thanks guys!

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah man.. as in T5. I plan on getting it road ready over the winter and enjoying it this summer. Come next fall when it's time to put it away I'm going to start planning for a paint job. The car was originally T5 but no vinyl roof. I love the way the T5 looks with the black vinyl roof but I'm not sure I want to go totally T5 on the car. I might just keep it black...

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to the site and thanks for the compliments. Lets see some pics of that bad boy. Copper Metallic as in T5? That's a great color on these B-bodies - I wish mine was that color originally.

Yeah man.. as in T5. I plan on getting it road ready over the winter and enjoying it this summer. Come next fall when it's time to put it away I'm going to start planning for a paint job. The car was originally T5 but no vinyl roof. I love the way the T5 looks with the black vinyl roof but I'm not sure I want to go totally T5 on the car. I might just keep it black...

Attachments

• 30over.jpg
    30over.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 644
  • blockwrapped.jpg
    blockwrapped.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 628
  • cast.jpg
    cast.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 645
  • E440HP.jpg
    E440HP.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 640
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 632
  • LftFrnt.jpg
    LftFrnt.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 651
  • lowend.jpg
    lowend.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 637
  • trailered.jpg
    trailered.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 661
Black is nice too :VB toast:

Pretty little Dodge. Nice!! Congrat's. Dodgecharger.com don't have sh*t on all the Chargers running here at the FBBO resto threads..lol

If I bought a car THAT nice, I would drop that motor/tranny in and drive for awhile. That is a nice charger!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone ever attempt to run a 14" wheel with a front disc brake conversion? I just ordered the disc brake conversion kit for the Charger and it is suggesting that the minimum wheel size be 15". I really hate to have to change wheels because the Magnum 500's are in such good shape (although I'm sure I'm going to have to change just to get a wider tire on the rear eventually)

I think with the disc brake setup you will need clearance for the tie rod ends as the drum brake setup puts the tire out a little bit. I have tried to put 14" rims on a car with disc brakes and they do hit the tie rods.

Nice Charger and it sounds like a great score for a project. Well done and welcome to the site :)

All the disk brake kits I have seen recommend 15" wheels.

Thats a shell? WOW NICE CHARGER... good luck with the build :thumbsup:

from the pictures that car looks great
welcome to fbbo.

engine.jpg

Finished the engine re-assembly today. Got it painted up. Ready to drop it in. Pumped. :headbang:

20140109_154542.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

20140111_134011.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Finished up the disc brake conversion yesterday. Couple before and after pictures. Got the motor and tranny snugged up in there too yesterday. Currently waiting on my 69' 489 case clutch style posi 3.55 gear center section to be built. Should be done Monday or Tuesday. Once that is in I have to get a drive shaft built. Any suggestions in locating a rebuilt drive shaft?

Man I wish I found my Charger in that gorgeous black paint! Mine was originally T5 too, but tan interior and white vinyl top and stripe. What a great start to your project, looking forward to following along!
:icon_thumleft:

Yours is coming along great also brother. I've been following the restoration threads done by you and H2E. You both are doing phenomenal work. Thanks for the compliment.

Man I wish I found my Charger in that gorgeous black paint! Mine was originally T5 too, but tan interior and white vinyl top and stripe. What a great start to your project, looking forward to following along!
:icon_thumleft:

Yours is coming along great also brother. I've been following the restoration threads done by you and H2E. You both are doing phenomenal work. Thanks for the compliment.

Thanks man! The work you're doing so far is looking great too :icon_thumleft: and as for the driveline, you could probably get one from one of the guys here on the forum (maybe post a WTB thread) and just give it some paint and change out the U-joints yourself if you have access to a press? Or that could always be done by a local driveline shop too

welcome what a great looking charger have fun with it

Auto Transport Service
Back