• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Dodge Super Bee Coupe Restoration

Did you have any issues with your rear glass clips? Mine don’t hold very well, they are repops from Nigel

Front windshield I used a kit from Jamie at Megaparts which appears to have worked BEAUTIFUL! (first three pics). The rear glass I had 3 or 4 "rear glass" clip kits from various places, none seemed to have the "tab" to lock the trim in so I cleaned up and reused my old ones (middle clip in the pic showing three). I added a few missing clips by using some repops and using a punch to make a "tab". These are all covered somewhere back in my build thread.. but here are the pics.

beerestoration2017 1000.JPG beerestoration2017 1171.JPG beerestoration2017 1346.JPG 2014-08-02 002 001.JPG 2014-08-02 002 003.JPG 2014-08-02 002 005.JPG 2014-08-02 002 012.JPG

Looks great. I bet out in the hot sun the front seal will be more pliable, but alas it's winter...

I can move it over, it's just keeping it there. Appears I got the windshield installed about 3/32 off center to the passenger side and I'm sure not going to try and pry IT over! :eek:

I have the shopped cranked to 75F...

Not much done today, was up 'till 3 AM messaging a fishing buddy back and forth that lost his young Brother to Cancer yesterday. Only 25 years old with what started as colon cancer a few years ago and spread to most of his insides. "Over 50" is a myth guys... :(

Needed to install the proper oval head screws and realized behind the trim curl was just a wide open gap for water to run down the drip rail and right into the quarter panel. Sealant and reinstall trim piece. I may be blind, but I could find nothing in the FSM on drip rail trim install needing sealant here.. maybe they let it run inside the quarter panel. All I know for sure is the curl has to be on first, then the roof rail seal channel, then the pop out window assembly.

Sealed up tight, ready for upper trim rails, their seals and the swing out window assembly.

Antenna assembly installed and actually straight.

Don't forget a drip loop in the antenna cable and I still have to seal the grommet hole so mice can't crawl in . It's not the OE grommet, not even sure if one was originally there, I added it.

beerestoration2019 1602.JPG beerestoration2019 1600.JPG beerestoration2019 1606.JPG beerestoration2019 1608.JPG

My original ‘68 rear glass trim had a couple big ‘globs’ of sealant around the bottom of trim. Almost like they tried keep trim down better?

Clamps off and final drip rail trim pieces in place. Windshield rubber is still not totally where I want it, but I'm getting it there a bit at a time. Wish I could just work with the "care", fit and timeline of the assembly line, but that's not me.

Almost have the rubber in the bottom drivers corner into place.

Upper drivers corner still off, but slowly getting it there.

Passenger side upper corner was perfect right out of the gate.

Nothing like drilling two holes in your car on the lower passenger fender, where we had to put some new metal in. Thankfully zero filler ! Locator pin 3/32 and retainer pin 3/16".(I did it the easy way, locator straight up, not 72* clockwise!.. I probably should have just glued it sans tabs)

Can't go without the Pentastar.

beerestoration2019 1621.JPG beerestoration2019 1622.JPG beerestoration2019 1623.JPG beerestoration2019 1624.JPG beerestoration2019 1628.JPG beerestoration2019 1633.JPG

Last edited:
Funny how such a minor thing like adding the pentastar emblem makes so much of a difference in the looks.

Thanks again for going to all the trouble of documenting your restoration.

Hood release latch. Believe the bolts should be black phosphate, but I only have two blue ones left. Will correct later, but I want to get this latch on the car.

31st day of 1969, 25 days before scheduled car build.

Latch installed under the grill support.

Latch and hood "lift" spring installed.

Had a "Wayne" moment today, when my mind registered that a $200 NOS Pentastar had been listed in the classifieds last night and got to thinking.. where did mine go. The $10 reproduction plastic looks so fake beside a real die cast one.

It's not perfect, and the body shop lost my retainer speed nut it seems, but a quick polish and it already looks 10x better than the repro.

Repainted the perimeter black, that was missing, and retouched the interior lines.

I couldn't find some stuff, so I cleaned up my work bench. Just a BIT of the research I've printed out that I still need to use and the box is full of "done".

Found what I was looking for, almost panic'd because the plating house had already lost my OE and thankfully I was able to obtain this latch rod for a few bucks from the same lad (Steve) in New York State I'd bought my radiator from vs $300US for the full set in the picture. It had been the ONLY set I'd been able to locate and he would not separate and sell just the rod. My new friend in NY bailed me out, basically for postage costs. Thanks again @3white74 .

beerestoration2019 1644.JPG beerestoration2019 1647.JPG beerestoration2019 1649.JPG beerestoration2019 1653.JPG beerestoration2019 1659.JPG beerestoration2019 1661.JPG beerestoration2019 1664.JPG beerestoration2019 1669.JPG beerestoration2019 1670.JPG

Better see this car done at Carlisle this July.....better get a ride too:thumbsup:

LOL.. there won't be time for trips this Summer. Gotta a wedding to do and a Bird to get road worthy for Talladega in October. Already accepted for the 50th Anniversary event, have my tickets for everything and have had my rooms reserved since October '18.

The sounds of Spring! Think there might be a bit more cam in the Bee, or maybe it's just idling higher or exhaust difference. Who knows... just a beautiful sound...

The sounds of Spring! Think there might be a bit more cam in the Bee, or maybe it's just idling higher or exhaust difference. Who knows... just a beautiful sound...

Hood release latch. Believe the bolts should be black phosphate, but I only have two blue ones left. Will correct later, but I want to get this latch on the car.

31st day of 1969, 25 days before scheduled car build.

Latch installed under the grill support.

Latch and hood "lift" spring installed.

Had a "Wayne" moment today, when my mind registered that a $200 NOS Pentastar had been listed in the classifieds last night and got to thinking.. where did mine go. The $10 reproduction plastic looks so fake beside a real die cast one.

It's not perfect, and the body shop lost my retainer speed nut it seems, but a quick polish and it already looks 10x better than the repro.

Repainted the perimeter black, that was missing, and retouched the interior lines.

I couldn't find some stuff, so I cleaned up my work bench. Just a BIT of the research I've printed out that I still need to use and the box is full of "done".

Found what I was looking for, almost panic'd because the plating house had already lost my OE and thankfully I was able to obtain this latch rod for a few bucks from the same lad (Steve) in New York State I'd bought my radiator from vs $300US for the full set in the picture. It had been the ONLY set I'd been able to locate and he would not separate and sell just the rod. My new friend in NY bailed me out, basically for postage costs. Thanks again @3white74 .

View attachment 732292 View attachment 732293 View attachment 732309 View attachment 732315 View attachment 732316 View attachment 732318 View attachment 732319 View attachment 732320 View attachment 732321
Very nice detailed work

Auto Transport Service
Back