• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 GTX....The T stands for tetanus

Are you going to run a regulator with bypass back to the tank near the carb? Might help with vapor lock.

Project has been stalled due to the complete local unavailability of 3/8" fuel injection hose. No one stocks this stuff in town! So I had to order it and received 3' of it last night finally. I may brave the chilly 60 degree weather and get it mounted today lol.

Chilly 60 degree? Thats summer up here!

Are you going to run a regulator with bypass back to the tank near the carb? Might help with vapor lock.

Yes, Holley 12-841 return regulator. It is already installed but I need to change the return line. Got everything in, keyed up, started and it ran really rough. Pressure was well over the 6psi it was set at and blowing gas past the needle seats and flooding it out. I talked with Holley and they said I needed at least a 3/8" return line (1/4" is what is in there) so more parts ordered. It is more quiet than my Holley Black pump so that is a plus:thumbsup:

I have my 3/8" return fittings installed and I should have my 3/8" line tonight to finish it. Here are some pics. I created a wiring harness so everything is easy to remove if needed. Fuel filler tube fits perfect.
20181205_103601.jpg
20181205_104245.jpg
20181205_104257.jpg

3/8" return line installed and pressure is a nice steady 6psi at the regulator. No leaks and boy is it quiet!!! Drove it to work today and I can hear myself think at idle. I think it was worth it.

Small update: I had a few wet plugs from my valve seal install and said "F-it, I'll let someone else do it this time." So I sent the set out to Bob at Modern Cylinder Head and had him replace the seals, 3 angle valve job, deck the surface and run a CNC port on them! All told, it set me back $1165 and the turn around was very fast. Thanks Bob, very nice doing business with you!!!

The flow sheet on my heads shows 311cfm @ .550 lift, tested at 28 in.
20190220_163417.jpg
20190220_163438.jpg
20190220_163502.jpg
20190220_163514.jpg
20190220_163608.jpg
20190220_163615.jpg

Heads look sweet! Only thing that is giving me pause is the thin iron left around the valve guide inserts.
upload_2019-2-20_20-18-45.png

Don't want to Monday morning quarterback but if I expected to end up with thin material around the guides after porting I would have drilled and reamed for the valve guides then knocked the thin material out of there before driving in the guides and porting. Thin iron makes me nervous. Looks like the intake side too.

Heads look sweet! Only thing that is giving me pause is the thin iron left around the valve guide inserts.
View attachment 722730

Don't want to Monday morning quarterback but if I expected to end up with thin material around the guides after porting I would have drilled and reamed for the valve guides then knocked the thin material out of there before driving in the guides and porting. Thin iron makes me nervous. Looks like the intake side too.

I saw that as well. The exhaust guides are cut back to the roof. I figure it is the result of the cnc program and none of the intake guides are cut back. MCH knows waaay more about them than I do.

I saw that as well. The exhaust guides are cut back to the roof. I figure it is the result of the cnc program and none of the intake guides are cut back. MCH knows waaay more about them than I do.

I saw the exhaust guides cut back to the "roof". Those look great. Exhaust is side is also exposed to much greater temperature swings so that makes sense. Then again a loose chuck of iron in the exhaust probably wont mess up an engine. Intake side, much less temperature swing, but loose pieces will reek havoc.

What heads are those? That should really wake up the 440!

What heads are those? That should really wake up the 440!

440 Source Stealth heads. I'm wondering if I may need to carb up now. I gasket matched the intake as well and the intake port size in the heads is a smidgen bigger than the gasket. It has an 800cfm AVS Thunder on it, anything bigger is going to be a true mechanical secondary carb.

I think I'd stay with the 800, the cam will be the limiting factor I think. You're probably not going to rev over 6-6500 so I don't think you'll need it for the street. You'll want to keep some of the venturi velocity for better street manners. You can open up some of the intake gasket if you want, Jim did on my intake to almost the sealing rib. About .040-.060. If you have a vacuum gauge see what your vacuum is at WOT that will give you an idea.

Last edited:
It runs pretty good. Everything went together smoothly. I used the Felpro .039" headgaskets which were half the cost of the Cometic. Gave up a little cr and quench. Sealed the intake with gasket stuck to the head with Gaskacinch and the pan on top. Set the timing at 24/37, new plugs, new header gaskets.

Smoke show leaving the neighborhood
20190226_115205.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back