• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Road Runner Automatic Stick

mmartoi

Local time
12:27 PM
Reaction score
Hello fellows, I have recently got me a 1969 Road runner 440. I have have always wanted one. Well the automatic transmission is leaking. I have always believed a muscle car should be a stick. Well some friends have been saying that 727 transmission is as good as a stick. What is your thoughts? Covert to 4 speed? 5 speed? Recommendations? Have automatic rebuilt?
Thanks for any opinions
Marlin

Whether it is as good as a stick depends on your criteria. Is a Torqueflite as fun and sporty as a 4 speed? No. Is a Torqueflite as fast as a 4 speed in the quarter mile or on the street? Depends on how good a shifter you are but quite possibly yes and even faster. Is it as easy to drive on the street? Mopar 4 speeds and clutches in my opinion are not as smooth and easy to drive as most GM Muncies. Some are probably going to disagree - I know. For ease of tooling around town it’s hard to beat a Torqueflite, PS, PB combination.

It's all up to you. Some guys are lightning fast with a stick shift.
Me, Well you can drink 2 cups of coffee between my shifts..:(
Old proverb, "No one can shift faster than a well programed automatic."
A friend of mine is converting his 64 Dodge to a stick now.Why ? because he always wanted one.
Good a reason as any.

Driving a manual shift Mopar can be an enjoyable task, or a pain in a busy traffic line.
I prefer a manual been driving a 4-speed for many years in my RoadRunner...
Really up to U...

Just my $0.02.... :thumbsup:

Hi Marlin, welcome! Got any pictures of your '69 road runner?
You might want to post something in the welcome forum so that everyone else knows that you've arrived. :)

If you put a TF-2 kit in the trans and a 3000RPM stall, It'll make you never want a 4 speed again!
Street car=727. Drag car=4sp.

This depends on how deep your pockets are. If you want to drive it now the rebuild the 727 would be the cheapest way. If you change to a four speed or some kind of combo like a five speed, then there is a lot of work ahead and parts to buy. New torque converter and a rebuild of your trannie would be the fastest way to go. Is it a floor shift console or column shift right now. Also Welcome to the site.

Last edited:
First, welcome to FBBO.

I will echo what most have said above. This really is a preference thing. I prefer a manual transmission in a performance car/ hot rod. The reality is that for most of us (except Ronnie Sox :) ), a manual will be slower in a drag race than a well built automatic. The auto will also be more comfortable driving in stop and go traffic. But the manual will be more fun when you are driving the car. It also gives you complete control of shift points and how hard it shifts - soft or hard.

Here is my suggestion though:
You "recently" got the Road Runner, and said your transmission is leaking, not that it doesn't shift well. A leaking 727 is pretty easy, and cheap, to seal up. So I'd suggest you seal it up and then live with the car for awhile. Then, if you still really want a manual and you can afford the conversion cost, then do it.

Good luck whatever you decide. :thumbsup:

The Hemi came with either automatic or 4 speed, so either is a good muscle car transmission. I like to keep them however they were built at the factory, either way.

I just like the sound of a clutch car going thru the gears. I don’t care if it’s slower or not as consistent.

Hi Marlin, welcome! Got any pictures of your '69 road runner?
You might want to post something in the welcome forum so that everyone else knows that you've arrived. :)

IMG_7233.jpg

20231111_220442.jpg

20231109_093905.jpg

20231107_163700.jpg

Screenshot_20231106_174630_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20231106_174540_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20231106_174521_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20231106_174504_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20231105_193212_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20231105_193117_Messenger.jpg

1700177857028.jpeg
and we love pics. auto or manual your choice.

Hello fellows, I have recently got me a 1969 Road runner 440. I have have always wanted one. Well the automatic transmission is leaking. I have always believed a muscle car should be a stick. Well some friends have been saying that 727 transmission is as good as a stick. What is your thoughts? Covert to 4 speed? 5 speed? Recommendations? Have automatic rebuilt?
Thanks for any opinions
Marlin
1. You just got the car, so you should drive it. If you keep the 727 automatic you can drive the car now. If you switch to another transmission, the car will be down for a long time....a long time.
2. A leak might be minor. Where is it leaking? If it's the transmission pan, transmission line/fitting, or tail shaft seal, then it's cheap & easy to repair. A front main seal on the transmission (where the transmission bolts up to the engine) is more difficult/expensive only because the transmission has to be removed (labor hours)
BEAUTIFUL Road Runner by the way

Well, since the car doesn't have its' original engine, I reckon some would say that gives freedom of choice on the
transmission as well.
Me - I'm a stick guy, always have been - but you do you.

Thanks for any opinions
Marlin
So the fender tag is off this car. I have figured out that this is a 383 car manufactured in st Louis. Can any share any more insight off of the vin? Is there a tag on the transmission?

Screenshot_20231116_210347_Messages.jpg

1. You just got the car, so you should drive it. If you keep the 727 automatic you can drive the car now. If you switch to another transmission, the car will be down for a long time....a long time.
2. A leak might be minor. Where is it leaking? If it's the transmission pan, transmission line/fitting, or tail shaft seal, then it's cheap & easy to repair. A front main seal on the transmission (where the transmission bolts up to the engine) is more difficult/expensive only because the transmission has to be removed (labor hours)
BEAUTIFUL Road Runner by the way
Today I went into the shop since I parked it last week. This is what I found. I will be climbing under tomorrow.

20231116_120750.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back