• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Road Runner Automatic Stick

You could always do what I did back in the day. I put in a B&M shift kit in my Torqueflight, turning it into a manual shift automatic. In other words while it was the same trans - I had to shift the gears manually to go thru them. There was no auto function. Also shifted thru the gears in reverse order. Third was first, second, second and first was third. Now - the real benefit - That baby shifted so hard I snapped lug nuts off the back a number Of times. No 4 speed was ever going to shift as hard and fast as my unit. Bang! Another one bites the dust……

I have seen one or two guys in their 70's opting for the automatic transmission here. Go stick if you want....but if you're nudging the age where your legs aren't up to the job....leave the car as it is. Get that 727 serviced, and enjoy the car as is.

Whether it is as good as a stick depends on your criteria. Is a Torqueflite as fun and sporty as a 4 speed? No. Is a Torqueflite as fast as a 4 speed in the quarter mile or on the street? Depends on how good a shifter you are but quite possibly yes and even faster. Is it as easy to drive on the street? Mopar 4 speeds and clutches in my opinion are not as smooth and easy to drive as most GM Muncies. Some are probably going to disagree - I know. For ease of tooling around town it’s hard to beat a Torqueflite, PS, PB combination.

I failed to add that fun and sporty can be a great influencer. I have 4 old cars and 3 are 4 speeds and one a 67 GTX Torqueflite. Taking one of the 4 speeds out for a spin is great fun, probably more so than the GTX. But the stock engine GTX has a TF2 kit in it, a slightly looser converter and a 3.55 rear and while generally docile, pushing a little quicker and further on the throttle results in a big boot in the back. I’m somewhat thinking my 440 GTX would get a big leap off the line in front off my 66 Hemi 4 speed in a race, up to some higher speed anyway before the Hemis deep breathing could take over. The GTX with PB, PS and factory air is a good representation of what they use to call the bankers hot rod.

You could always do what I did back in the day. I put in a B&M shift kit in my Torqueflight, turning it into a manual shift automatic. In other words while it was the same trans - I had to shift the gears manually to go thru them. There was no auto function. Also shifted thru the gears in reverse order. Third was first, second, second and first was third. Now - the real benefit - That baby shifted so hard I snapped lug nuts off the back a number Of times. No 4 speed was ever going to shift as hard and fast as my unit. Bang! Another one bites the dust……
Actually this transmission has a b&m pan on it. Not sure how much fluid it holds but I put 7 quarts and just touching stick. Will get more fluid tomorrow.

I have one of each. a 4 speed in my 66 and a column shift auto in my 70. I like both but after driving my 66 around town for a few hours my knee starts screaming. That's worse with a big car and heavy clutch.

I failed to add that fun and sporty can be a great influencer. I have 4 old cars and 3 are 4 speeds and one a 67 GTX Torqueflite. Taking one of the 4 speeds out for a spin is great fun, probably more so than the GTX. But the stock engine GTX has a TF2 kit in it, a slightly looser converter and a 3.55 rear and while generally docile, pushing a little quicker and further on the throttle results in a big boot in the back. I’m somewhat thinking my 440 GTX would get a big leap off the line in front off my 66 Hemi 4 speed in a race, up to some higher speed anyway before the Hemis deep breathing could take over. The GTX with PB, PS and factory air is a good representation of what they use to call the bankers hot rod.
Love to see some pictures of your toys!

For me, it’s 4 speed manual without a doubt.

That said, my current car is an auto, but not worth it to convert for all the reasons mentioned.

My number one criteria for my next car, if I’m so blessed, is a manual tranny.

Good luck with your leak. Should be easy to find. Can’t tell by the picture, is it tranny fluid?

First, welcome to FBBO.

I will echo what most have said above. This really is a preference thing. I prefer a manual transmission in a performance car/ hot rod. The reality is that for most of us (except Ronnie Sox :) ), a manual will be slower in a drag race than a well built automatic. The auto will also be more comfortable driving in stop and go traffic. But the manual will be more fun when you are driving the car. It also gives you complete control of shift points and how hard it shifts - soft or hard.

Here is my suggestion though:
You "recently" got the Road Runner, and said your transmission is leaking, not that it doesn't shift well. A leaking 727 is pretty easy, and cheap, to seal up. So I'd suggest you seal it up and then live with the car for awhile. Then, if you still really want a manual and you can afford the conversion cost, then do it.

Good luck whatever you decide. :thumbsup:
I agree. Resealing the 727 is easy and not expensive especially if u can do it yourself.

Auto Transport Service
Back