• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Road Runner engine color

pro-streeter

Local time
6:06 AM
Reaction score
I need your help Mopar friends. I have a 1969 Road Runner 383 auto A/C with a build date Dec 1968. I have seen both the Orange and Aqua engine colors on these cars. It was built and sold in California so it has the enclosed factory dual snorkle air cleaner. Some very early pictures of the car from a previous owners show the orange color. I have seen some very correctfor the most part 383 cars that are Orange and some Aqua. Any help or explaination woul be great.
Dave (aka)Pro-Streeter

Having the A/C could change things though. That option usually meant the turquoise 330 hp. engine was used.

Orange for the 330 & 335 HP 383's; Blue for the two barrel 383. Do not think A/C has anything to do with it but I might be wrong.......
My 70 RR has A/C with a 330 HP 383.

PS: Look at the "sticky" posting at the top of this section....lists all the engine colors.

69 RR's with A/C recieved the 330 horse turquoise engine.
Orange would be incorrect for this application.

The the list at the top of the page is filled with wrong information and should not be used as a source of accurate information. Engine colors CAN and DO vary by year, model, and transmission.

Why would AC cars get a 330 HP motor?

I've heard several reasons. The most common has to do with the compressor and RPMs. I'm not sure if I believe it or not but that seems to be the prevailing wisdom.

This would be for 68 and 69 only. 1970 models had the orange 335 with or without A/C.

69_RR_AC.jpg

Doug showing his mopar jedi power! I would of guessed orange

Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back