• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 roadrunner 383 hp N96 4-speed rear gears

Burns69RT

Local time
1:34 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys I’m trying to figure out what we’re the original rear gear options on a 69 roadrunner that was a factory 383 hp N96 option 4-speed car with an 8 3/4 suregrip. I know 3.23 was the most common but I’m curious on what other options there were with that type of package. A potential client of mine said it had factory 4.10’s. That a track pack car? And his fender tag was lost about 20 years ago.

If I’m not mistaken, 2:94 was the standard gear, all other ratios were options, and that includes packages like Trakpak and Super Trakpak.

28119E52-4621-4E47-9147-7E21082552D0.jpeg

Axle packages for 1969-1971 8.75 are:
A31 high performance axle package 3.91
A36 Performance axle package 3.55

both came with max cooling, 7 blade torque drive fan, and hemi suspension.

please note that drag pack is a Ford term only in the 60’s and 70’s. Dodge used drag pack on the new challenger for some odd reason.

Last edited:
Hey guys I’m trying to figure out what we’re the original rear gear options on a 69 roadrunner that was a factory 383 hp N96 option 4-speed car with an 8 3/4 suregrip. I know 3.23 was the most common but I’m curious on what other options there were with that type of package. A potential client of mine said it had factory 4.10’s. That a track pack car? And his fender tag was lost about 20 years ago.
4.10 gears were an option for the Dana, not the 8-3/4.

Axle packages for 1969-1971 8.75 are:
A31 high performance axle package 3.91
A36 Performance axle package 3.55

both came with max cooling, 7 blade torque drive fan, and hemi suspension.

please note that drag pack is a Ford term only in the 60’s and 70’s. Dodge used drag pack on the new challenger for some odd reason.
Maybe Ford made them call it that in return for Dodge using the 9" rear!

Until I get the third member out we’ll know. Car was parked and sitting when parked by the original owner. What do you guys think? Typical 3.23? Seems to be the most common option I see on these cars.

Until I get the third member out we’ll know. Car was parked and sitting when parked by the original owner. What do you guys think? Typical 3.23? Seems to be the most common option I see on these cars.
No need to take it out; raise the rear, mark a tire, turn the yoke by hand and count how many times it rotates to one full tire rotation..3-1/4 yoke turns is a 3.23, 3-1/2 is 3.55, almost 4 full turns and you have a 3.91.

A Trac Pack car is a Dana and not a 8 3/4.

Track Pak
Code A33
(Available with 4-speed Manual Transmission w/ 440 or Hemi. N.A. w/ AC)
> 4-speed Heavy-Duty manual transmission with Hurst shifter with wood-grained shift knob and reverse warning light (available in Package only)
> 3.54 H.D. 9-3/4" Dana rear axle
> 7-Blade Torque Drive fan (Std. Hemi)
> Dual Breaker Distributor (Std. Hemi)
> 26" High Performance Radiator w/ Fan Shroud (Std. Hemi)
> Sure-Grip differential

Super Track Pak
Code A34
(Available with 4-speed Manual Transmission w/ 440 or Hemi. N.A. w/ AC)
> 4-speed Heavy-Duty manual transmission with Hurst shifter with wood-grained shift knob and reverse warning light (available in Package only)
> 4.10 H.D. 9-3/4" Dana rear axle
> 7-Blade Torque Drive fan (Std. Hemi)
> Dual Breaker Distributor (Std. Hemi)
> 26" High Performance Radiator w/ Fan Shroud (Std. Hemi)
> Power Disc Brakes
> Sure-Grip differential

OK...let's try this....

View attachment 925197

thanks, looking to get into this car for my client soon, I’m doing all the metal work. Been building b bodies and e bodies for a long time. Just moved back to California and all my shop items are in storage. I’m looking for a place with my wife that has a big enough garage. This guy is meticulous and is still spending his weekends looking for that fender tag.

Auto Transport Service
Back