• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Super Bee Track Day at Thunderhill Raceway

Superbeemike

Local time
2:09 AM
Reaction score
Another day at Thunderhill Raceway has come and gone and I wanted to write a post to share the trip with you all and post my photos and videos. My hopes are to encourage more to come out to events like this.

IMG_6670.JPG

We traveled out to California last Saturday the 28th, me pulling our travel trailer, and my wife pulling the Bee. We stopped at a winery for the night in the Sierra foothills near Oroville, California, and camped out right next to the vineyard. We are part of Harvest Hosts which gives us access to camping at many wineries. This is a pro tip. If you take your wife out to a car event, make sure to include something that she likes to do as well. I’m my case, wine tasting. Here’s pics from the winery.

IMG_6650.JPG

IMG_6649.JPG

Sunday, we traveled to Thunderhill and setup camp in the pits. They had electrical hookups so we could run the A/C throughout the day. We unloaded the car and enjoyed some great company and adult beverages for the evening. Something special Thunderhill allowed was the ability to walk the track after hours. We road bikes around the 3-mile circuit, it was awesome to get an up-close look at the racing surface.

IMG_6734.JPG

IMG_6725.JPG

Monday, I got up right before sunrise, and started prepping for the day. Gates at the track opened at 7:00 but luckily, we were already in and setup. Driver check in started at 7:05. I went over the car one last time, set air pressures and torqued the wheels, then headed over to the drivers meeting at 8:20. I was in group 2 which allows for passing everywhere but point by is mandatory. My 1st run was at 9:20 on the West track which is the smaller 2-mile track. Ultimately, I ran a total of 5 runs with the Bee before I lost the power steering pump. I was able to improve my lap times throughout the day but most importantly have a great time. In the next group of posts I'll include a link to my videos. I was using the Track Addict App on my IPhone 11 that was mounted to the windshield. My wife and daughter rode passenger and we were having a blast. Sorry/not sorry for the talking in the car, we were having a great time.

IMG_1230.JPG

Mike

Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

What a great idea! Shame I don't have a great looking, great running Bee like yours. And I'm not married either! Oh well.

Thanks for posting this! I see you're running Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T's like me:) What size tires front and rear? Any brake fade?

Thanks for posting this! I see you're running Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T's like me:) What size tires front and rear? Any brake fade?
Here’s a link to my build… B Bodies and Road Courses

I have 245/60R15 in the front, and 295/50R15 in the rear. I did get some fade and vibration on one of my runs, on the big track. It was my fault for missing my marks and over using them. They quickly cooled after I calmed down a bit.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back