• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 340 "J" Heads- Oversize Valves?

motorparts92

Local time
8:19 PM
Reaction score
I am beginning my build on a 70 model 340. I have the original, decent set of J heads which i am going to try to beef up a bit. The only oversize valves i can find for these heads are 2.08/ 1.65. My question is...will these function properly? I realize the 202/160 valves are very close together as it is, and that the 208/165s are just a few thousanths bigger. Will i have any problem with these valves?? Thanks!

-Young Grasshopper-

There is no need to put larger valves in a set of big valve J-heads. These heads are the best flowing heads next to the w-2 heads mopar produced in the 70's. Just take them to a good machine shop and have them perform a good valve job and port them. Add a set of stainless 2.02/1.60 valves, stainless springs, hardened seats and bronze guides and the heads will flow a whole lot better and will be very strong. You will have to have the intake and exhaust manifolds gasket matched to the newly ported heads.

Joe

There is no need to put larger valves in a set of big valve J-heads. These heads are the best flowing heads next to the w-2 heads mopar produced in the 70's. Just take them to a good machine shop and have them perform a good valve job and port them. Add a set of stainless 2.02/1.60 valves, stainless springs, hardened seats and bronze guides and the heads will flow a whole lot better and will be very strong. You will have to have the intake and exhaust manifolds gasket matched to the newly ported heads.

Joe

X2.

Auto Transport Service
Back