• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 383HP torque converter should not have balance weights, correct?

70ChargeDodger

Local time
7:36 PM
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I have been chasing a vibration on my 70 Bee for awhile. I replaced the engine and tranny mounts.
I found this today when I took a look at my torque converter.
The engine is original to the car 1970 383HP which should be a forged crank which should not require balance weights, correct?
I want to make sure before I grind them off.
I will be thrilled if this is my mystery vibration.
Any advice and suggestions is welcome, thanks.

IMG_9472.jpg

Last edited:
Also looks like someone added them and a shitty job at that.

Looks to be the wrong converter.
Not necessarily the wrong converter but the weights don't belong. As you stated, they look non factory. The converter is probably fine. Take a grinder with a cutoff wheel to the welds and remove them.

Not necessarily the wrong converter but the weights don't belong. As you stated, they look non factory. The converter is probably fine. Take a grinder with a cutoff wheel to the welds and remove them.
Right. My answer was related to the weights. For many they do not have the resources to add or remove weights. So to them its time for a different converter.

Auto Transport Service
Back