• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Coronet Grocery Getter

jimkf

Local time
5:46 AM
Reaction score
Many, many moons ago a friend and I terrorized our local neighborhood in a 70 Coronet R/T. Fast forward to now and I got the itch to acquire something different than the building full of Kaiser-Frazer cars I currently own. So, I found a 70 wagon on this site and bought it. After cleaning up some wiring issues it now runs, drives and stops as it should - but it needs some cosmetics. A California car, it's generally rust free but has an ugly driver side fender. I know they're just about unobtainium - they were back in 1977 when we had the other car - so I'm debating trying to have this one fixed, rather than replace it with something that may need just as much work.
Question - would you try to fix this, or replace it with something else? The fender is rot free and aside from what you see has no other damage. I have new bumpers and grilles so it's just the fender that needs help.
I'm in northeastern Ohio in the event you know someone nearby who does wonders with wrinkled sheet metal. It is well beyond my talent level!
IMG_4726.jpg

There are a couple fenders on ebay. From 600.00 to 1300.00 I'm pretty sure a body man could fix that fender for less. Don't tell him how hard it is to find them lol. Just take it to a body guy and see what they charge. I would only take the fender.

Not rusty then it is fixable in my book.
You could try WildCat Auto Wreckers in Oregon. Massive Mopar Yard.
I bought from them in the past.Good people.

Way better to fix what you have even if it was to cost more. Just make sure the guy that does it really knows what he is doing and isn't a bondo slinger.
He'll probably have to cut the front structure out of it and then weld it back in when he's done shrinking and slapping it.

If you can find the right body tech, thats fixable from what I can see. It would be best if you left it on so the tech can make any sheet metal pulls as then he won't be trying to hold against it. The kicker is that it won't be cheap as time equals money. If you expect someone to make it nice for a few hundred, dream on. From what I can see in the picture, thats an easy 20+ hours of repair, doing as much metal finishing as possible, at say $60.00 per hour. There goes $1200.00. Maybe try to find one in better shape.

Not rusty then it is fixable in my book.
You could try WildCat Auto Wreckers in Oregon. Massive Mopar Yard.
I bought from them in the past.Good people.

Ditto, I agree. We bought a 67 Fury quarter panel off them and they are very nice folks to deal with

Last quote I got to repair a dented but unrusted Coronet fender for my 66 was about 10 years ago.

$900

Not sure what the going rate is today.

Many, many moons ago a friend and I terrorized our local neighborhood in a 70 Coronet R/T. Fast forward to now and I got the itch to acquire something different than the building full of Kaiser-Frazer cars I currently own. So, I found a 70 wagon on this site and bought it. After cleaning up some wiring issues it now runs, drives and stops as it should - but it needs some cosmetics. A California car, it's generally rust free but has an ugly driver side fender. I know they're just about unobtainium - they were back in 1977 when we had the other car - so I'm debating trying to have this one fixed, rather than replace it with something that may need just as much work.
Question - would you try to fix this, or replace it with something else? The fender is rot free and aside from what you see has no other damage. I have new bumpers and grilles so it's just the fender that needs help.
I'm in northeastern Ohio in the event you know someone nearby who does wonders with wrinkled sheet metal. It is well beyond my talent level! View attachment 1254935
Stop by The Mopar Nats this summer outside of Columbus (now called "The Nats") They have a big swap meet and you will probably find what you are looking for. Don't limit yourself to just the swap area. The racers sell parts and talking to car owners can work as well. Everybody has spare parts they may sell after their car is finished.

Can you just use a superbird fender?
:D

Auto Transport Service
Back