• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Coronet R/T Project (Dasfusca's Car)

hoods on!
E3F20B74-A0AD-493A-B83F-A0C21C50567C.jpeg

Roof patching has begun. I found some nice donor sections. I need to take some lead out, final fit and trim. Then I am going to butt weld this and move on.

IMG_0382.JPG

thumbnail_IMG_1681.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1677.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1679.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1680.jpg

Hole lot of work going on. LOL One peace at a time for sure. Know how much work goes into these old cars. Good job.

Grate patch panel work. :thumbsup: Had to make pieces at the sail panel inner frame rail on mine. The rest of the car got full panels. Replace the inner frame rail on drives side due to rot in it also. Know it is hard to weld to the old, tired metal. Doing a great job there.

I have 3 spots in my rear window channel also....how are you planning on fixing yours ? Im so thankful my 440 didnt have a vinyl top n came from AZ as there is no way I could do the metal work u have done ...
This is the second time I did the bottom corners. The pieces from AMD are a great start but the don’t just drop in. The first time I did them, I lap welded them…just because it was easier. I hated the way they came out. I would need too much filler to level them out. Since then, I’ve done a lot more welding, purchased a better welder and worked at getting better. Eldubb440 suggested that I fix the corners. So I cut the corners free, hammered and dollied the **** out of them and butt welded them back in. So to answer your question…..you can fix the holes many different ways. You can lap metal patches in or use a body panel patch and it may look OK when you are done. but I am going to remove the rusted metal and butt weld the patches in. I still think my welds could improve. I am getting better the more I do. You can do it too. It just takes patience, time and good equipment.

Nice patch work. How do you like clecos?
I like the clips. They eliminate the need for a helper on the big pieces. You have to leave a little tab on both pieces until you weld or they don’t work for butt welds. They are perfect for lap welds. I started using magnets to hold small pieces in place.

This is the second time I did the bottom corners. The pieces from AMD are a great start but the don’t just drop in. The first time I did them, I lap welded them…just because it was easier. I hated the way they came out. I would need too much filler to level them out. Since then, I’ve done a lot more welding, purchased a better welder and worked at getting better. Eldubb440 suggested that I fix the corners. So I cut the corners free, hammered and dollied the **** out of them and butt welded them back in. So to answer your question…..you can fix the holes many different ways. You can lap metal patches in or use a body panel patch and it may look OK when you are done. but I am going to remove the rusted metal and butt weld the patches in. I still think my welds could improve. I am getting better the more I do. You can do it too. It just takes patience, time and good equipment.
I have some window channel that came from the rear window of a 68 4 door SATELLITE I will now use ...its solid as a rock....

thumbnail (45).jpg

If anyone has tried it there is a spot weld tip for your tig welder. Like most of you know the metal must be absolutely clean of any paint. Hold it for a three count was just right. It beat drilling holes and welding up that way. Also bought a pinch welder from harbor freight. It worked well for the pinch weld around the roof to frame and A pillars. As you weld your methods do improve. :drinks:

Auto Transport Service
Back