• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Coronet R/T Project (Dasfusca's Car)

I still have some minor trimming and I have to finish the lip of the tray but I cut out the old filler and have started to fit in the new piece. looks like it around 1/16 or so wider than the old one. should not be a problem since I have to put in the new window corners in anyway. I was going to use the lower corners from a doner car but they had rust too. So I have amd corners now. Does anyone have a link to someone who details the corners of the back window?
915C604C-C2E3-43BE-BACE-D286EE524F6A-6497-00000304E38FCD7F.jpg

A19D434B-7AEA-4832-8F3E-FFD479A6AD57-6497-00000302D09FDE00.jpg

B23C70C8-E127-4163-8315-D54A4E3A1E5E-6497-00000302814AE810.jpg

7072C84B-B249-4210-9026-5398CAFB8990-6497-0000030218B8BFC8.jpg

Great work, take it a little by little,, so you dont get over whelmed!!

your going to want to fit the rear glass and trim, before you paint, to make any final adjustment of the rear body panels,,,

my v code, 440/6 go mango/white project.. she been on the back burner.. love the 70's!!:icon_fU:

OLDMANGO144.jpg

gomangomotor003-1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

ps i have one of those auto twirlers also! but the car is racked on a rotessiory..

I still have some minor trimming and I have to finish the lip of the tray but I cut out the old filler and have started to fit in the new piece. looks like it around 1/16 or so wider than the old one. should not be a problem since I have to put in the new window corners in anyway. I was going to use the lower corners from a doner car but they had rust too. So I have amd corners now. Does anyone have a link to someone who details the corners of the back window?

Man you got your hands full...Keep pegging away, you get er!! Page 24 of my RR thread may help you out on those window corners DasFusca. PG 21 pic's may helps as well as some others around those pages.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?8368-Family-Tradition/page24

Hope all is well for ya in NJ. Take care.

Man you got your hands full...Keep pegging away, you get er!! Page 24 of my RR thread may help you out on those window corners DasFusca. PG 21 pic's may helps as well as some others around those pages.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?8368-Family-Tradition/page24

Hope all is well for ya in NJ. Take care.

Tell me if I'm wrong or not but isnt the top of the 70 Coronet the same as a Road Runner or Sat of 70? I know the tail light covers on the inside the trunk are the same as a 70 Plymouth Sat and RR.

Also the front side marker lights if you need an extra set I think I still have a pair. I let my NOS set go with the car when I sold it. Those are tough parts or used to be tough to find since they are used on the SuperBird and a lot of guys bought them when they either restored cars or cloned a SuperBird.

The front fenders are the same way if you need an extra set of those and can find them cheap, buy them. I sold my extra set for 700. I think the hood is also used on the SuperBird with the front end cap cut off and a new cap put into place.

I had thoughts of turning mine into a winged R/T but after I got word it was a one of one I changed my mind.

If you do not have a good set of grills start looking because it took me three years to find one good grill that I needed. Do not buy the reproduction ones from what I'm told they are not good, unless someone is doing a better run of them.

The tail panel if yours is messed up talk with Totally Auto they will give you a name of a guy who restores them and trust me this is a panel if messed up on restoration is a pain to find and will be a high dollar part.

If you find a Coronet 500 look for tail lights and tail panel if they are there and good buy them. I have a set of rear tail lights that I plan to restore and sell when I get the time.

These cars a tough to restore since they are a one year only car or used to be. I do not know if anyone is reproducing parts for them. Also the side scopes if yours are ok or needing a little work its best to re-work them and save them the reproduction ones have or had problems not fitting right.

Keep going you're doing a great job on the car I can't wait to see it done.

Thanks Propwash. Your posts are truly inspirational and the amount of work you have done is amazing. I see how the factory corners assemble. The corner is two sections. One for the window frame and the other the rear quarter. But AMD has reinvented the corner by making it one piece with the quarter panel now. I ordered the set and it seems to have the same piece repeated. What I mean to say is that the little pieces look like they are already incorporated in the larger piece. I tried to put these together but I am confused.
images

Thanks Propwash. Your posts are truly inspirational and the amount of work you have done is amazing. I see how the factory corners assemble. The corner is two sections. One for the window frame and the other the rear quarter. But AMD has reinvented the corner by making it one piece with the quarter panel now. I ordered the set and it seems to have the same piece repeated. What I mean to say is that the little pieces look like they are already incorporated in the larger piece. I tried to put these together but I am confused.
images

Could one be the inner part and one the outter? Mine needed those corners as well and when I started they were not made. Wish AMD would make complete shells of cars and give them a vin# and sell the bodies. I would love to build a hot rod but not mess up and original car.

What part of VA did your car come out of?

Thanks for the kind words Dasfusca. Appreciate it. You the same have a momentous task and the work completed/at hand is quite admirable. Sure would have been nice to have a one piece like that, would have warranted some less stressful thinking and work.

CoronetRTGuy, the roof skin's are the same between the Dodge's/Plymouth, obviously the quarters change from there. Even the width towards the bottom of the C-pillar is different.

Best of luck to ya moving forward Dasfusca. 1970's are a treat to find parts for.

Car came out of Manassas area in 2004 or so.

I do kind of remember something about Manassas. I will look over my files later this weekend and see if I have this car listed. I think the fender tag is posted here but you left out the last numbers if memory serves me right. If that is the case please pm it all to me.

I also think that most of the V code cars I have in the registry are F8 green and not many high impact colors. The color choices of 70 were far and wide and the most common color is the F8 green. It has been a few years since I have looked at the paper work on the cars I have and I really need to go over it again.

I also think I have an R/T with a bench seat if memory serves me on that. I know over at the Coronet Registry site there has been guys telling me that they could get a rally dash, AC car with a tac and a 4spd. I told them no you can't and to this day they still argue with me. You couldnt get AC in a car with a tac and if you got AC in a car you didn't get a 4spd car. The shifter would hit the vents if my memory is correct on that. I had a stroke a few years ago that wiped out my memory so I'm still in the process of relearning things.

Also if you see more then two black R/Ts they are cloned in some way shape or form. There were two Black R/Ts built one with white bucket seats (My old car) and then one all black and I believe both cars are stripe delete cars. I remember talking with Galen and it took him a while to get back to me on this as we both were stumped on a number and after I told him what I though the code was he offered me a job when he found the code lol. He also said only two black cars he could find in the R/T line up but again remember they didn't say (Chrysler) what car was what so I'm guessing he has the vins for the cars in records.

I think I have seen one 70 Bee that is black and it was an all black car.

There is a guy out there with a black R/T and red stripes that says its real and the more I ask questions (with different emails) the more the guy will not talk to me and I think he had it forsale as well at one time. That car is not a real black car and I'm not sure if its a real R/T.

I have been kicked off of Moparts more times then I can count for calling a bogus car.

You have a great looking project R/T and a rare one just being a V code car and one that most of us will never own or have a chance to. You're doing great work and keep up the good fight for it and I can't wait to see it done. There is a guy in NY I think upstate that has a red convertiable his name is Fram and I can't remember last name that is really good guy to talk with on these cars and may have some extra parts. I will see if I can locate his email if you need anything. I thin he spend six years or more doing his car.

- - - Updated - - -

I wanted to ask does your grills have the reddish orange stripe around the front of them in the grove? Mine did and I have found only a few of them that came that way from the factory.

If you look at the sales brochure for the coronet you will see the grill with the reddis stripe around them. Also there seems to be no ryhm or reason for it. I have not seen just one plant that did this and it seems to be from all different dates (not just early cars and not just late cars). This is something that is kind of odd but kind of cool.

I do recall a strike in 1970 and not sure if this could be the case some got them and some didn't. I also read that sometime back in a magazine that all the 71 cars were meant to be 70 cars but the strike forced them to do some small redesigns of their line ups.

You have a great looking project R/T and a rare one just being a V code car and one that most of us will never own or have a chance to.

my v code, 440/6 go mango/white project.

There is some confusion. 68427vette has the orange V code Coronet in the car transport in the pictures. It is his fender tag in the picture with the vin whited out.

My (dasfusca's) car is the EF8 green car. That is a U code car. It has the numbers matching 440 with a 4 bl automatic 3.55 suregrip A36 option. I have two ugly build sheets.
It was born 10/25/69. It doesn't seem to have any red on the front or back like the pics in the sales books. I thought only the preproductions ones had it?

Here is the numbers off the fender tag.

18107 150319
115 055 670
v1f v88 n96 m46
ef8 d658 ef8 a25 206608
e86 d32 ws23 u0a ******

I decoded mine. But I would like to see what CoronetRTGuy comes up with to compare if i did it right.

love the '70 Coronet, and F8 just doesn't get better. looks like you're doing a great job.

F8C9F0CB-0CBD-4E13-883D-7C67722C5153-4635-0000023D8358B6BA.jpg

B20BB87D-A592-4CDD-820D-214EC065C295-4635-0000023DABFBBDF8.jpg
7E9C7157-B879-4426-9B5C-6B2F3D6DE5D7-4635-0000023D9E8CB5A8.jpg

I decoded my broadcast sheet and found that my car came with 15x7 ralley rims even though the sticker on the door jam says 14 inch. I used the copy of the sheet from the Charger site. Very useful for my puzzle. This post was made from my iPhone so if it doesn't work, I am sorry it's my first attempt! Here is a shot of my new 15x7 rims. They are original rims with repo center caps. I think the beauty rims are repo too. How can you tell?

Cool wheels. I see your broadcast sheet is worn like mine.If you ever get some time, maybe you can do what i did and do a recreation drawing of your option sheet to have as a back-up.Time consuming yes but good to do when the weather is too cold to work outside.

521AC60F-FE7D-44EC-BE41-66F84D904F82-22902-000006497C1F539A.jpg

49F3E81F-1CAA-425E-B1A6-E23C10B31A18-22902-0000064903B7B85E.jpg

35B63F48-1207-484D-8C02-2BC0D9E5C509-22902-0000064AE11C0261.jpg

Here are pictures of the final fitting of the rear panel. It took forever to get to this point. Next I will work on the corners of the rear windows. I laid the pieces in to show where they go. I was right about only needing the larger patches for the corner. I don't know why they sell the 4 together?

79B78A3D-58FE-4FB4-A50F-5AB818F4FE61-6982-0000082158341560.jpg
CB791E5D-8501-4359-9BA1-367B937C21C0-6982-00000821366561AF.jpg

I was stuck on this for a while. I was going to find new full quarters for the 70 coronet. But no one makes replacements for it yet. I bought new quarter patches for the entire outside but they do not extend to the drip rail of the trunk. I had some rust along the rail that needed to be addressed. I sand blasting the rust out of the drip rail and restitched the quarter to the rail with my mig. I sistered some metal behind any holes and welded it all back together. The welds will be hidden in the seam of the rail. After I grind it down it should look better.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are some cool things from the dealership that our original 1970 Coronet was purchased. That's my Aunt Marge in the picture on the lawn tractor in front of Iannaco Motors from the early 70s. The tools were my Grand Father's.

E2C95AD6-2B4A-4770-AB18-D68D8169EA3D-7355-00000872A4DA63D7.jpg

AE2E0FC6-CAEE-4E72-A954-2167D5442C80-7355-00000872B5CDB7B7.jpg

116EF84D-1747-48A4-8CC8-215F152DD446-7355-00000872E3C7833D.jpg

E4FBD15A-FF60-4465-AA3D-DF38FE1E17EA-7355-00000872C81ACADB.jpg

8A46EF67-324D-40C4-9537-6324A5B5A8D2-6982-0000082117F7B292.jpg
FF3DEBEC-2420-468B-816F-D431CC1C54E2-7355-000008730C7E301E.jpg

Dasfusca, Your patience is out standing with the work your doing now and its looking great.. Thanks for the vintage pictures of the place your car actually began road life.. I would be tempted to take a picture of your R/T when its done sitting in front of that dealership, if its still around, I know so many of those from back in my day are gone around here, i always like to see these pictures, cool to think back and especially if its the place the car got its start on the road trip that led hear.. Good luck, looking forward to your progress!

kofångaren.jpg

What is this crossmember (red ring), I don´t have it on my car?
Do you have some more pictures of it?

that's for the front bumper. "68-'69 Chargers had'm too.

This is coming out nicely ...

Keep up with the Good Work ...

Auto Transport Service
Back