• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Coronet R/T Project (Dasfusca's Car)

A 70 Coronet R/T/Super Bee is one of the cars on my bucket list. I have owned two 69 Coronets,one was a 69 A12 4 speed Super Bee the other is currently for sale on my local Craigslist, a bronze 69 Coronet R/T. I sold the car about 15 years ago, and just saw it for sale on Craigslist about a month ago. It's cool to see the car is still around. Your project is coming along great,I am looking forward to seeing the car come together! Those triple F8 green Mopars were popular back in 1970. My parents bought a triple green 70 Charger R/T SE brand new when I was 6 years old.

A 70 Coronet R/T/Super Bee is one of the cars on my bucket list. I have owned two 69 Coronets,one was a 69 A12 4 speed Super Bee the other is currently for sale on my local Craigslist, a bronze 69 Coronet R/T. I sold the car about 15 years ago, and just saw it for sale on Craigslist about a month ago. It's cool to see the car is still around. Your project is coming along great,I am looking forward to seeing the car come together! Those triple F8 green Mopars were popular back in 1970. My parents bought a triple green 70 Charger R/T SE brand new when I was 6 years old.
You have owned quite a selection of great cars. I just turned 3 when my parents picked up the brand new 70 coronet 440. It was their first brand new car. I’ve heard the story enough that I think I remember it. My father owned had a Mercury, 57 Chevy, Ford Falcon and some other always used car. After the new Coronet he stayed with Dodge. He had a Polera, Diplomat, Omni, Daytona, Aries and he still drives a Caravan. I drive a Wrangler and my brother-in-law has a Ram, so I guess we are a Mopar family. Your list is way more impressive. Here is a picture of Mom and Dad with my 70 Coronet.
80C388E3-693A-4631-9DAD-16F3217872FE.jpeg

Here is a gem. My Mom is steering my coronet into the garage. She is the first person to “drive” it in years..... while we pushed it. Notice what she is sitting on. She looks so happy.
46B14564-CE09-4DA5-A05A-3F5BC0A2EC57.jpeg

That's awesome to see Mom steering the Coronet R/T. Unfortunately my mom passed away in 2016,but I have a picture of her 70 Charger R/T SE from 1982.
moms Charger.jpg

That's awesome to see Mom steering the Coronet R/T. Unfortunately my mom passed away in 2016,but I have a picture of her 70 Charger R/T SE from 1982.View attachment 1038935
I am sorry to hear you lost your mom. She had great taste in cars! I like that it was hers. My mom claimed our 70 coronet. My dad had to get a Polera.

I Learned that some after market stock parts are disappointing. I did the rear brakes today and ended up using most of the old hardware. The "new" stuff did not allow the adjusters to work properly and the springs were not as nice as the 50 year old ones.
Then when I put the brand new upper control arm cam bolts in, they were also disappointing. I put them back in their bag and used the old ones. I am starting to accumulate a stack of brand new parts I wont be using.
IMG_4593[1].JPG
IMG_4594[1].JPG

Last edited:
Cleaning and painting really slows a project down. I had fun with these while I waited for parts to come in. I ordered shocks from PST. Remember to get your discount.

IMG_4734.JPG
IMG_4735.JPG
IMG_4733.JPG

Here is the paint combination I used for the front end parts. I used a mix of the Gold and Bronze for the lower control arms. The red is just some oil based red.
IMG_4744.JPG

The Stage 1 brake kit from Doctor Diff came with new Timkin bearings but had the Chinese races pressed in the rotors. So I took out the races and replaced them with the Timkin ones. After I tapped out the Chinese ones I ground them down a bit and used them and socket to tap in the new ones.
IMG_4749.JPG
IMG_4748.JPG
IMG_4750.JPG
IMG_4751.JPG
IMG_4754.JPG
IMG_4755.JPG
IMG_4753.JPG

I've been working on a few things at once. Brakes, suspension and doing some painting. Everything is going together as it should. The stabilizer bushings needed to be altered. I cut the bushing to fit in the channel but I have to trim the bracket so it passes the nut and lays flat. Nothing is tight yet. The brake splash plates may need a small tweak so the holes line up. I really couldn't be happier with the Inline Tube and Doctor Diff.
IMG_4785.JPG
IMG_4784.JPG
IMG_4783.JPG
IMG_4781.JPG
IMG_4780.JPG
IMG_4779.JPG
IMG_4778.JPG
IMG_4775.JPG
IMG_4777.JPG

Torsion bars are back in the car with new grommets and locking clips.
Disc brake set up is confusing Right is left and left is right on the caliper brackets.
What the torque for the pivot shaft nut anyway?
I am excited about greasing the zerk fittings!

IMG_4798.JPG
IMG_4799.JPG
IMG_4801.JPG
IMG_4802.JPG
IMG_4803.JPG
IMG_4804.JPG
IMG_4806.JPG
IMG_4807.JPG
IMG_4809.JPG
IMG_4808.JPG

Stanton says the following about the pivot shafts in another post......." Wait till the car is on the ground and the t-bars are adjusted. This puts those shafts tight in a neutral position. If you were to tighten them say, with the car on a hoist and the wheels dangling then when you lowered it back down the lca's would be putting unnecessary tension into the rubber bushings. I suspect they'd eventually find their way back to a neutral position but why worry about it!"

I am going with this advice.

Stanton says the following about the pivot shafts in another post......." Wait till the car is on the ground and the t-bars are adjusted. This puts those shafts tight in a neutral position. If you were to tighten them say, with the car on a hoist and the wheels dangling then when you lowered it back down the lca's would be putting unnecessary tension into the rubber bushings. I suspect they'd eventually find their way back to a neutral position but why worry about it!"

I am going with this advice.
That's what I did with mine. It seemed to work fine. I also put tags on stuff that still needed final tightening so I wouldn't forget.
IMG_2682.JPG

Torque specs (145 and 50):
upload_2021-1-2_8-50-26.png

I set the axle bearing end play. I had to make a new keeper. My car came without one. Never did this before with the gauge. Harbor freight machine tools.
IMG_4824.JPG
IMG_4825.JPG
YBGZ3336[1].JPG
IMG_4826.JPG
IMG_4827.JPG

I am running out of parts in my pile. Suspension and brakes are almost done. Everything is now on the car.
CF087DA8-88DC-4519-90B0-124605014F12.jpeg
F3C4FB8B-B957-4B4F-A145-2B240DA029D4.jpeg
54CAE8B3-496A-4132-B70F-D9C17F614E1E.jpeg
C893BC56-5FD9-40C5-9E61-4AA6CA781EE1.jpeg

I finally got the right universal joint. Turns out I have the 7260 on my drive shaft and new rear but the old rear was 7290. I found a nos spicer joint on ebay.
IMG_4952.JPG
IMG_4953.JPG
IMG_4965.JPG
IMG_4966.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back