• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 coronet steering wheel issue

Tim bradshaw

Local time
12:34 PM
Reaction score
So looking to see if anyone has had a issue with installing a aftermarket steering wheel. I got the grant installation kit. It comes with a spacer that goes on first then the adapter. Get everything installed and it’s like it tightened up the steering. When you turn it stays and you have to manually steer it back. It’s hard to turn. Then loosing up the nut some then the wheel is to loose. Put the factory back on and works great.

So looking to see if anyone has had a issue with installing a aftermarket steering wheel. I got the grant installation kit. It comes with a spacer that goes on first then the adapter. Get everything installed and it’s like it tightened up the steering. When you turn it stays and you have to manually steer it back. It’s hard to turn. Then loosing up the nut some then the wheel is to loose. Put the factory back on and works great.
Tim, I've installed a Grant steering wheel and adapter kit and have had no problems at all.

could it be binding or pulling up on the shaft when you tighten it? Mark the shaft with old and change to see. Did you compare the 2 back sides to see if the new 1 is smaller?

Did you used the sleeve with the kit?
Tim, It's been a couple of years since I did it and at the same time I was changing out the shift housing as I had moved the trans shifting from the column to a center console. I also opted for one of Grants premium sleeves behind the steering wheel. A couple of photos attached. Like I said it's been a couple of years and I don't remember every detail but the whole change over went without any problems. Hope this helps.
CIMG1380.JPG
CIMG1381.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back