• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Dodge Charger 440 4bll carburetor questions

matchek

Local time
7:00 PM
Reaction score
Hi I have a 1970 Dodge Charger 440 4bbl (Carter carb). Does anyone know how many the original CFM of that carb would be? Or what you recommend? I have a backfire on my drivers side and my mechanic wants to replace the Carter Carb with a similar Holley Carb. Says he has not had any luck with the Carter Carbs, but loves the Holley.

I have the service manual but I don't see anything about this.

Matchek

Somebody here knows, but I think the Carters are in the 625cfm to 650cfm range. Some factory '70 440's came with 600cfm Holley's (I think the non-high-performance ones...like New Yorkers, etc). Be advised that many Holley's have clearance issues with factory intake manifolds (& that Carters work just fine)

If your mechanic is bound & determined to use a Holley, i would suggest a 3310 series vacuum secondary single-pumper with minor modification to clear the intake or use a 1/2" spacer. It's a good combo.

The numbers were not published. Mopar Action magazine tech editor stated before that the 440 spec Carter was approximately 580 cfm.

In my opinion, if your mechanic can't rebuild the carburetor, he or she should have suggested sending it out for a rebuild. They may not have luck with Carters, but all of the record holding Mopars with Carters seemed to do okay with them. Don't mess up your car by taking it away from original. Conversions can have issues without any real gain, and a new Holley is not cheap. There's no "Holley conversion" chapter in the FSM. You don't have to look far to find a rebuild service and it will come Plug and Play ready; you can install it yourself.

For a fairly stock car, I’d stick with a Carter.

FYI, I spoke with Holley company and they said the the 440 4bbl was 585 CFM and the recommended that I go with this one for $427:

Holley 0-80457S 600 CFM Street Warrior Carburetor

My mechanic did offer the choice of taking it off and sending it out and having it refurbished. He won't do it because he has not had any luck with Carters and he does not know why he has not had luck.

I spoke with a rep at Holley Carb who tested many different carbs on old Mopar engines and he recommend this Holly Street Warrior which is rated for 600 CFM. They send the venturis are small and should not affect clearance.

Need the Carter Carb # to verify

1970 440 HP Carter AVS 750 cfm
Non HP - 383 - 340 Carter AVS 630 cfm

That was straight from the old Carter Carb manuals

And someone or everyone will argue those cfm #s

Don’t shoot me

FYI, I spoke with Holley company and they said the the 440 4bbl was 585 CFM and the recommended that I go with this one for $427:

My mechanic did offer the choice of taking it off and sending it out and having it refurbished. He won't do it because he has not had any luck with Carters and he does not know why he has not had luck.

I spoke with a rep at Holley Carb who tested many different carbs on old Mopar engines and he recommend this Holly Street Warrior which is rated for 600 CFM. They send the venturis are small and should not affect clearance.
Your motor will be a lot happier with 750.

I did ask Holley about the 3310 series and they said that has 750 CFM which is more than what I need. Now if that is the best that would work fine , I would go with it anyway. Holley said have to be careful with putting one with too much CFM as the car may smell like gas.

What 1970 440 came from the factory with a Holley ?

Besides a Six Pack / Barrel

I have a Holley 600 on a 440 in my Power Wagon. It is a simple vacuum secondary model. The truck runs fine.
it originally had a ThermoQuad.
Maybe some Station wagon or non Magnum 440s may have had Holleys as factory equipment.

Time for a new mechanic. I like 6 packs, but Holley’s are a pain ot the *** for reliability. Carter is much better for a street car and low maintenance.

The 440 magnum carters had 4 large throttle bores. Some say they are 750 and it tend to agree. 67 AFB for the 440 magnum was this way, and also the 1968-71 AVS had the 4 large ones also.

The small 585 carbs were the AFB with 4 small throttle plates, 1967 and older.

the LAST thing I would put on a 440 is a 600 Holley, what joke, it will turn it into a turd.

What 1970 440 came from the factory with a Holley ?

Besides a Six Pack / Barrel
1967 -1970 440 low performance (read C-body engines only) came with Holley’s. Really one of the worst Holley’s ever.

440 magnum never had a Holley

I did ask Holley about the 3310 series and they said that has 750 CFM which is more than what I need. Now if that is the best that would work fine , I would go with it anyway. Holley said have to be careful with putting one with too much CFM as the car may smell like gas.
So will eating at Taco Bell.

Yes what R413 said sounds like what Stephens Peformance said. But by the way, even if it is 600 CFM, it not like I am putting on an original C body carb, it is a brand new 600 CFM Holley made in 2023 or so. Does that make a difference?

Hi I have a 1970 Dodge Charger 440 4bbl (Carter carb). Does anyone know how many the original CFM of that carb would be? Or what you recommend? I have a backfire on my drivers side and my mechanic wants to replace the Carter Carb with a similar Holley Carb. Says he has not had any luck with the Carter Carbs, but loves the Holley.

I have the service manual but I don't see anything about this.

Matchek
Backfire in the exhaust and he wants to put a Holley carb on? Time for a better mechanic.

From my understanding, the 1970s 440 came with Carters. If it worked I would not mind putting on a brande new Holley and saving the carb original car.

I need to know what the original CFM was on the original Carter Carb.

Pnora, what do you recommend , he tried everything . The only other thing he could think of is maybe the coil but he said it would most likely be both sides.

By the way, Holley said that backfiring on one side could be the car as well, but I know they are biased.

Explain what you call backfire in the exhaust?

Auto Transport Service
Back