• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Factory Vacuum Trunk Release

Mark Pifer

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:58 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone have a diagram for the 1970 factory vacuum trunk latch. I'm looking to install one on my GTX. Can't find where to take the vacuum from for the latch.

68-1969-1970-71-Dodge-Plymouth-Chrysler-Vaccum trunk latch.jpg

The vacuum comes off the intake manifold nipple. If you have power brakes, the ideal piece would have a big spigot for the power brakes and a small one for accessory vacuum. There will be a small vacuum resevoir with this system as well to allow a couple of releases without the motor running. I added a system from a Chrysler to my '67 R/T, but it never really worked very well. The better one is the later Chrysler electric one.

The vacuum comes off the intake manifold nipple. If you have power brakes, the ideal piece would have a big spigot for the power brakes and a small one for accessory vacuum. There will be a small vacuum resevoir with this system as well to allow a couple of releases without the motor running. I added a system from a Chrysler to my '67 R/T, but it never really worked very well. The better one is the later Chrysler electric one.

Yes....the electric release mechanism as used on the 1970 C bodies (Chrysler 300 Hurst, Dodge Polara, possibly Plymouth Fury III, etc) operated so much better as the vacuum line and hoses from the release button thru the trunk hinge joint was prone to leakage.....just my opinion of course...
BOB RENTON

Thank you both.
Do either of you have a part numbers for the electric trunk release and push button switch?
Regards,
Mark

Thank you both.
Do either of you have a part numbers for the electric trunk release and push button switch?
Regards,
Mark
I think I have some parts lying around here. I can check tomorrow, if you want. I know I have a switch and bracket, maybe even the vacuum can. Pretty sure I have the trunk release mechanism too.

Hi Dave, thank you.
Do you also have a electric trunk release too or know of someone who might?
I have been told the mid to late 70 electric work perhaps more reliably than tge vacuum and still fit my 1970 GTX. See attached photos
Best Regards,
Mark

Screenshot_20220114-235301_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20220114-235243_Chrome.jpg 16422221359737915982533439391901(1).jpg

I do not have an electric one, but I agree they work better. You can likely find one in junk yard late 70's New Yorkers.

Auto Transport Service
Back