• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 FM3 Satellite Conv - The car that should have been crushed

That really is something seeing all that pink. Now I kinda know what it's like being a Gynecologist.

Can't wait to see this car finished. Only Ma Made a Pink car look cool.

Congratulations on a long and difficult rebuild. That is real dedication. In 1970, I was driving my Sunfire Yellow SuperBee at a popular lakeside summer resort town when I saw my first FM3 Mopar. It was a 1970 Road Runner coupe. My first thought was, "Wow, that is a lot of pink!" .

Engine bay and underside of trunk lid are now in color. Time to sand and paint the outside!

engine bay.jpg trunklid.jpg

That is actually worse than what I started with. I very much appreciate what you did there.

E49DFC21-899C-4451-97E7-42F9F054A571.jpeg 09299CC4-4B39-4C2F-B534-16EAB0FF4E29.jpeg B9CB6161-8A38-459E-B47F-26AF94185CEB.jpeg A0439613-7A2E-4A2C-ADD5-675338FD39F5.jpeg FD8A1FA2-430D-4B29-BD40-DB930F5DA976.jpeg

I would stash the original drivetrain, and build a nice 383 or 440 a 727 transmission and a 3.55 sure grip differential. It's all bolt in stuff that can be switched back at anytime. You will get bored with the 318 very quickly.

may as well throw the 318 away if you do that it will never go back in. Not everyone wants hot rod around. I love my 318 and just cruising around. If you do anything build a stroker out of the 318.

I was a truck driver back in the early 90’s. I used to see this weird almost washed out pink metallic ‘70 Satellite with it’s rear sticking out of a barn. I didn’t realize that Mopar pink washed out like that from years of exposure from the sun. I found out later it was one of 5 Satellites in FM3.

Anyone can drop a big block in a car. It is special so do something special. Park the engine and build an exotic small block that screams and disguise it like the original.

I was a truck driver back in the early 90’s. I used to see this weird almost washed out pink metallic ‘70 Satellite with it’s rear sticking out of a barn. I didn’t realize that Mopar pink washed out like that from years of exposure from the sun. I found out later it was one of 5 Satellites in FM3.
And then what happened?!?

And then what happened?!?

the barn got demolished. I’m not sure what happened to the car. I found out on the FM3 page that only 5 Satellite hardtops were made. 3 318, and 2 383.

Because of the way that color fades, I thought it was a strange repaint.

Back in the mid 90's My brother picked up a 70 Challenger with no fender tag, it was a factory 340 car, and when crawling around under the dash it was most definitely an original FM3 car...no idea what ever happened to that car since he was buying and trading cars furiously for a couple years. During this time He also picked up a 70 challenger in B5/B5, /6-3spd manual and with fixed rear quarter windows...again no idea what happened to this one either.

Update 11/3/2021: Sanding & Buffing is done.

My sanding process is blocking with 1500 by hand in conjunction with 1500 trizact disks, then 3000 trizact disks and finally 5000 trizact disks. This process took me about 16 hours with 1500 taking the most time.

Buffing was done using the 3M Perfect-It 1-2-3 compounds. This process took me about 8 hours.

With the trunklid and hood re-installed the next step is radiator support blackout.

afterbuff1.jpg afterbuff2.jpg afterbuff3.jpg afterbuff4.jpg afterbuff5.jpg

UPDATE 11/17/21: I blacked out the radiator support the other day. I did most of it while lying on a creeper to get the upward spraying pattern like the factory did it.

Firewall pad and insulation is installed. I ended up painting the insulation like Moparnation74 did on his 69 GTX as the insulation only comes in gray. The repo firewall pad wasn't quite correct. there is a flap by the steering column opening that I had to transfer over from the original pad. the repo just had a piece of cardboard hanging down.

I painted the dash frame in the correct black suede lacquer paint from Instrument specialties. Then I build a nice assembly stand for it.

The fiberglass on the original heater box was disintegrating, so I bought I box to restore from a member here. In the last picture the fiberglass is cleaned up and I bead blasted and painted the metal pieces that couldn't be removed from the box. more to come as I get stuff restored and installed.

Blackout.JPG Insulation.JPG Dashframe.JPG HeaterBox.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back