• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 FM3 Satellite Conv - The car that should have been crushed

UPDATE 12/17/2022: Today was the day that I finally put the car back on its wheels. I know some people might not like the tires and wheel covers, but this is the car came from the factory. No turning back now, I paid a lot for those NOS hubcaps and I think it looks pretty nice. This car was originally a dealer demo car from Wilison Chrysler in Toronto, so I like to think that it looked like this in the showroom, at least it will when it's done.

So I have been having trouble with installing the convertible top. I am on my second top. The first one was from Electron Top and it was over 1-1/4 too wide at the rear bow. The one that is on it now is from Kee Top. It fits pretty good, buy I have to deal with these wrinkles on the sides. Chrysler put what they call "stay straps" that run from the rear bow to the well area. the replacement tops don't come with them. Since my original ones were ruined I thought I could get away without installing them. I think I was wrong. I've got some material on order and hope to get this fixed in the next couple weeks.

View attachment 1388972

View attachment 1388973

View attachment 1388974
I believe the dealership was Paul Willison Chrysler located in the east end of Toronto. Was a successful prominent dealership that grew to 3 locations iirc. My father bought a few cars from Willison but nothing as cool as yours, just slant six dart and a duster. The last one was a 75 sport fury. Congratulations on your car and keep up the excellent work.
Thanks
Bennoel

I believe the dealership was Paul Willison Chrysler located in the east end of Toronto. Was a successful prominent dealership that grew to 3 locations iirc. My father bought a few cars from Willison but nothing as cool as yours, just slant six dart and a duster. The last one was a 75 sport fury. Congratulations on your car and keep up the excellent work.
Thanks
Bennoel

20230118_184236.jpg

20230118_184131.jpg

I wonder if your father ever saw my car in the showroom in 1970?

I've got the original dealer script, just can't quite bring myself to drill holes into my car to attach it.
thanks for the pictures.

Paul_Willison.jpg

I've got the original dealer script, just can't quite bring myself to drill holes into my car to attach it.
thanks for the pictures.

View attachment 1404377
That's it. I'm actually at the exact location where your car was sold brand new. It's still a Chrysler dealer just renamed. Picking up some parts for my Dodge Cummins . And I agree as it would be difficult for me also to drill those holes. Maybe some two sided tape ??? As for my father..... I can just imagine his comments. He grew up very poor in the great depression, served his country in WWII (landed on D-day) went the distance to Berlin. As a result he was very opinionated and didn't have much use for frivolous material items. He just bought basic transportation, slant six etc. At least they were two doors. Again nice work , your welcome and thanks.

thanks for the pictures.

View attachment 1404377
I am the second owner of a 1964 Dodge Polara that was sold new by McManus Motors in London, Ontario. This was one of the largest Dodge dealers in Ontaio at its time, but now no longer exists. I bought this car from the original purchaser in London, in 1980, and it still had the dealership plaque screwed to the deck lid. The first time the body was redone and painted this sign was tossed because of its poor condition. At this time, McManus Motors was still in business, with no end in sight. Decades later, my Dodge needed a restoration, and now McManus was only a memory. I regretted throwing away the original sign, since it was part of the car's, and local history. Fortunately, I discovered an acquaintenance of mine had worked at this Dodge store for many years and had a NOS McManus dealership plaque in his tool box. I badgered (pun intended) him for years before he sold it to me. At restoration time, the filler was removed from the original holes in the deck lid, and the piece was reinstalled. My restoration is ongoing, but the dealership sign is once again proudly displayed on my car. Any of my friends who have seen my project in progress are awed that I was able to find this NOS plaque to complete the car.

P7290111.JPG

P6130004.JPG

PA160044.JPG

UPDATE 12/17/2022: Today was the day that I finally put the car back on its wheels. I know some people might not like the tires and wheel covers, but this is the car came from the factory. No turning back now, I paid a lot for those NOS hubcaps and I think it looks pretty nice. This car was originally a dealer demo car from Wilison Chrysler in Toronto, so I like to think that it looked like this in the showroom, at least it will when it's done.

So I have been having trouble with installing the convertible top. I am on my second top. The first one was from Electron Top and it was over 1-1/4 too wide at the rear bow. The one that is on it now is from Kee Top. It fits pretty good, buy I have to deal with these wrinkles on the sides. Chrysler put what they call "stay straps" that run from the rear bow to the well area. the replacement tops don't come with them. Since my original ones were ruined I thought I could get away without installing them. I think I was wrong. I've got some material on order and hope to get this fixed in the next couple weeks.

View attachment 1388972

View attachment 1388973

View attachment 1388974
That blue motor in a pink car looks so damn awesome!! I love it!

Found a copy of my broadcast sheet inside the driver's seat back. Too bad the mice found it first. Sifting through the crumbs I couldn't find enough proof that it actually belonged to my car as I could only find a partial VIN and no color code or sequence number.

broadcast sheetA.jpg

broadcast sheetB.jpg

broadcast sheetC.jpg

All I have is this color laminated photo copy of the broadcast sheet that was inside the rear seat. Someone up there in Canada has the original, but I have been unable to track it down.

Broadcast Sheet resized.jpg

UPDATE: 5/2/2023: Well it has been 3 years + 3 days since I started working on this project. It is very close to being done. I am waiting on a radiator from GlenRay so that I can start it and drive it. The front bumper will be installed next week when the cushions come in. The restored headrests from NotJustHeadrests are coming in shortly. I still need to undercoat the wheel wells, which will happen when I can put it on a lift. That leaves just the seatbelts from Bill Edwards, which is a story in and of itself.

P1000619_sized.jpg

Absolutely love your car and the fact you kept it all stock satellite with a 318/2bbl just makes it that much better!

UPDATE: 5/2/2023: Well it has been 3 years + 3 days since I started working on this project. It is very close to being done. I am waiting on a radiator from GlenRay so that I can start it and drive it. The front bumper will be installed next week when the cushions come in. The restored headrests from NotJustHeadrests are coming in shortly. I still need to undercoat the wheel wells, which will happen when I can put it on a lift. That leaves just the seatbelts from Bill Edwards, which is a story in and of itself.

View attachment 1459492
Stunning… Really. :lowdown::lowdown:

UPDATE 11/06/2023: Nov 3rd was the first time I was able to drive the car under its own power. I waited quite a while for the correct radiator to be restored by Glen-Ray and for the original carb to be restored by HARMS. I still have a few bugs to work out of it, the front disc brakes grip way before the rears, the horns decided not to work and for some reason when the heater blower is on the dome light (at the heater controls) blinks on and off. Of course, now that it is cold in Vermont and will be snowing any time now, I will have to wait until spring to take her out on the road to put some miles on it.

I would like to thank everyone on the forum who offered their advice and for those of you who sold my parts to complete my project. Also, thanks for the keepers of the forum and contributors thereof, as there is plenty of great info to be had here.

-Chris

Outside1.jpg

Outside2.jpg

Outside3.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back