• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 GTX lift rear about 2" without changing leafsprings, any options would be appreciated.

I just got a quote locally to have my springs re-arched. $280 , be ready in week to 10 days
talked to Detroit spring , and new ones delivered were well over $400 with 60 days lead time

Amazon shows Gabriel "Load Carrier" shocks with helper springs, for $71. Probably more $$$ for the ones for your GTX.
I think i would try shopping Rock auto for a part # and then buy local. (I don't buy anything off the net). I do think your best price will be RA or amazon.

Can you send the brand or part name?
Unfortunately, I am at work at the moment;(shift worker). They a little rusted, but the shock color, if I recall is blue, (like a Monroe shock). They were on the car when I bought it, almost 13 years now and never adjusted them. It is possible that another company makes the outside mounting springs in various sizes that might bolt onto any standard shock of a said diameter. It appears, if memory serves me, that they clamp at top AND bottom!

Last edited:
Have you guys talked to Laura at ESPO? They are more competitive than Detroit. I would recommend new ESPO way before spending $280 to re arch old springs. I tried that once, and they were back to sagging a year later.....

Screenshot_20230203_194543_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20230203_194834_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230129_193028_Gallery.jpg

Instead of wasting your money on a hope and a prayer, save your pennies and do it right.
New springs. If you can afford gas you can not afford not to do it right.
2" is too much for a coil over standard shock to do and as said before every time you would hit a large bump it could be the last for that shock.
But at least new replacement rear upper shock crossmembers are available from AMD and others. Start about $300 for the part alone.
A spring carries load and compression and rebound energy.
A shock absorber does not carry load. It dampens the compression rebound cycle so the suspension doesn't bounce around uncontrollably.
A true coilover replaces the spring altogether. The mounts are substantially beefier to carry the weight of the vehicle and absorb the shock to the mounts when you hit a bump.
The cheapest, safe way is to install helper leafs. $50 and up. Check with your local chain auto parts store

^^^^ Your font that you use is hard on the eyes.

Yea it is
But you know why
It’s because we’re getting old

Unfortunately, I am at work at the moment;(shift worker). They a little rusted, but the shock color, if I recall is blue, (like a Monroe shock). They were on the car when I bought it, almost 13 years now and never adjusted them. It is possible that another company makes the outside mounting springs in various sizes that might bolt onto any standard shock of a said diameter. It appears, if memory serves me, that they clamp at top AND bottom!
Thank you

Instead of wasting your money on a hope and a prayer, save your pennies and do it right.
New springs. If you can afford gas you can not afford not to do it right.
2" is too much for a coil over standard shock to do and as said before every time you would hit a large bump it could be the last for that shock.
But at least new replacement rear upper shock crossmembers are available from AMD and others. Start about $300 for the part alone.
A spring carries load and compression and rebound energy.
A shock absorber does not carry load. It dampens the compression rebound cycle so the suspension doesn't bounce around uncontrollably.
A true coilover replaces the spring altogether. The mounts are substantially beefier to carry the weight of the vehicle and absorb the shock to the mounts when you hit a bump.
The cheapest, safe way is to install helper leafs. $50 and up. Check with your local chain auto parts store
That is extremely helpful thank you

Yea it is
But you know why
It’s because we’re getting old
That could be part of it. Some fonts are just irritating, some are easy.
His contributions are great, its just hard to read comfortably. It is like a beautiful woman that sounds like Fran Drescher.

I agree, doing it the right way the first time is always the best answer. Finances do not always allow that option.

I put a set of coil overs on my 66.

They lifted it an an inch to an inch and half tops

Auto Transport Service
Back