• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 GTX tail lights leaking

Mopewbie

Local time
9:32 PM
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a small waterfall in the trunk mainly coming through the tail lights nuts and also the gasket.

The lights are very badly designed and it creates a water bucket so the water has to go somewhere. I'm facing 2 issues here:

1- the screw from the bezels aren't in great condition so I can't tight it up effectively causing the leaking through the gasket (not much pressure to hold it).

2 - dripping from the nut. This one I can probably get away using some silicone but that means the water will stay there until it dries out.

Questions are:

1- Anything I can do to tight the bezels out as it is? Will it hold pressure if I try to create a new thread and use a "normal" nut?

2- gasket is quite thick, can I replace it for a butyl tape?

3- does it worth to try and create some sort of drain drilling a hole and attaching a little hose through the trunk?

I'l try to attach some pics. Thank you all.

20211113_194901_002_exported_1636891946992.jpg 20211113_194901_003_exported_1636891953566.jpg 20211113_195058.jpg

Even when I had my car jacked up in the rear I never had a leak from the tail lights. I don't think the design is bad, I think that your bad threads are likely the problem. You could try a heavy coating of silicon grease (electrical grease) along the gasket to try to repel the water.

The gaskets around the tail lights may have dried out over time.

Bezel alignment is important, and it looks like your nuts might have scoured the pins up quite a bit.

This is a product of Canada, and advertised here in New Zealand....but you should be able to source the same product where you are:

Pro Form Dum Dum Strip Caulk - ADHESIVES & SEALERS - REPAIR - Wyatt Machine Tools

Body caulk/putty.....can be put on the area that appears to be leaking - much like Blu-Tack.

Auto Transport Service
Back