• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Plymouth Sport Satellite from Junk to......

I have used the taped razor blade trick as well as a similar tool but honestly would rather have it a bit peely and wet sand it rather than deal with trying to get runs like that flat.

Working essentially with a broken right wrist for the last few weeks. Needless to say progress has been very slow. Reworking the clear coat on a door panel. Its looking good and hopefully I’ll gain more function in my right arm soon.
Also received my new rear glass today. The AMD had a defect and I sent it back. AMD then they ran out and it went back order. I believe the profile of the AMD wasn’t factory correct with the bubble bulge as noted by others. Apparently the mold is not accurately reproduced.
So I ordered one from Auto City Classic Glass. I believe this is the right profile. If it is its good to get the word out as everyone lost confidence in all the glass mfg. this is the green tint and is very good quality. Comes from Diamond Glass in Thailand not China.
Let me know what you think of the glass!
IMG_7608.jpeg

IMG_7607.jpeg

IMG_7604.jpeg

IMG_7606.jpeg

IMG_7605.jpeg

Working essentially with a broken right wrist for the last few weeks. Needless to say progress has been very slow. Reworking the clear coat on a door panel. Its looking good and hopefully I’ll gain more function in my right arm soon.
Also received my new rear glass today. The AMD had a defect and I sent it back. AMD then they ran out and it went back order. I believe the profile of the AMD wasn’t factory correct with the bubble bulge as noted by others. Apparently the mold is not accurately reproduced.
So I ordered one from Auto City Classic Glass. I believe this is the right profile. If it is its good to get the word out as everyone lost confidence in all the glass mfg. this is the green tint and is very good quality. Comes from Diamond Glass in Thailand not China.
Let me know what you think of the glass!
View attachment 1469234

View attachment 1469235

View attachment 1469236

View attachment 1469237

View attachment 1469238
Looks good in those photos.

Restarting the paint clock with a fresh coat of epoxy for final seal and paint and clear now in sight.

IMG_7704.jpeg

Paint goes on tomorrow. Wow the amount of work that’s gone into this is crazy. Starting to think about the assembly process and the interior scoping out carpet and body plugs already purchased.

IMG_7728.png

I love the smell of fresh paint and the beautiful shine it has, especially when it is still wet. I don't like the anxiety I get when I'm painting though. I'm always expecting a fly or mosquito to land in the paint or to drip sweat onto the car.
Good luck.....post pictures!

Best of luck! I hate spraying clear. I'd much rather spray single stage solid.

This is the 3rd Wanda base coat and I just put on the 4th. Went on over 4 coats of SPI white Epoxy and 1 coat SPI Epoxy sealer. Went on smooth flat and no orange peel. I am very happy with the color. Tomorrow the clear will go on!

IMG_7764.jpeg

IMG_7763.jpeg

IMG_7762.jpeg

IMG_7759.jpeg

IMG_7760.jpeg

IMG_7761.jpeg

IMG_7753.jpeg

4 coats of SPI Universal Clear. Yup more runs than the Cubs could hope for but overall happy with the results. Up next cut and buff then assembly time yikes!

IMG_7769.jpeg

IMG_7770.jpeg

IMG_7773.jpeg

IMG_7776.jpeg

IMG_7774.jpeg

IMG_7771.jpeg

Ok all runs gone using razor method. Then I decided to cut it. Started with 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000, 2500 and 3000 all by hand. I found that even with a great DA I would see swirling with the 3000 so I just finished by hand. Laborious yes but gratifying seeing it actually start to shine with wet sanding paper. Going to start buffing after I get my compounds. Just bought a full set of pads white yellow green and blue for my new forced geared DA.

70966463964__E2CFD9C6-EC16-47AD-BA8F-89F3639CECD5.jpeg

IMG_8117.jpeg

Last edited:
Ok so while waiting for my buffing compounds I decided to build a high quality heavy duty shelf plate. I used the heavy brown fiber board and covered it with heavy cloth backed vinyl. Trying to decide when to put the rear glass in now that the tray cover is in. I need the space in the garage…..

IMG_8214.jpeg

So I was able to get buffing on the Satellite yesterday. Decided to use 3D 500 with a wool pad then moved to a blue coarse pad then 3D 520 (smells so good) with a yellow fine pad. Cutting and buffing really takes a nice paint job to another level. The SPI Universal Clear is very workable.

IMG_8257.jpeg

IMG_8254.jpeg

IMG_8239.jpeg

IMG_8252.jpeg

IMG_8253.jpeg

Good to see some progress pictures. Excellent choice for the color. It looks "tangy" like if you licked it, it would be tart and sweet at the same time.
No, I have no intention of licking anyone's car.....this was merely an expression.

That looks gorgeous! Lot of time and effort paying off. I would wait to put the rear glass in until you get the headliner in.

Good to see some progress pictures. Excellent choice for the color. It looks "tangy" like if you licked it, it would be tart and sweet at the same time.
No, I have no intention of licking anyone's car.....this was merely an expression.
With a white interior is will tase like a creamsicle….. just saying…

That looks gorgeous! Lot of time and effort paying off. I would wait to put the rear glass in until you get the headliner in.
Headliner should be here any day. I still need to find the bows. Might not have all the clips and I am not sure if I have the door plates with teeth. It’s been so dang long ago that I disassembled this car.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back