• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Roadrunner tail lights do not work

IRON MAN

Local time
10:17 PM
Reaction score
Guys Roadrunner rear tail lights do not work but hazard lights work any suggestions?

Were they working before and just quit? Have you tried anything so far?

BLK 68 R/T
New wire harness and putting things together and new turn signal switch and all new bulbs. This car was a drag car so I am placing things in it that were not in it when I got it. Any suggestions would be great.

It has been awhile but my thought would be the black wire coming off the light switch. It splits with one black wire going to the panel light dimmer switch and the other going to the tail lamps IIRC

The turn signals run off a different wire, brown IIRC

Is your new wiring harness supposed to match the factory colors? If so I can see if I can dig up the wiring diagram.

70BelvedereGTXSatelliteRoad RunnerB.JPG

I'd start with the simple stuff. Is the bulb good? Is the fuse good? Do I have 12v on the wire to the bulb? If all that checks out good, it's probably a bad ground. You can run a temporary one from the bulb holder to a good ground or straight back the negative on the battery if you have a long enough wire.

A lot of electrical issues in these old cars is simply due to a bad ground connection.

BLK 68 R/T
Thank you for this information I will revisit the areas you suggested.

Are your taillamp housings grounded ? You must run a wire from the housing to the body.

Tail lights? Please explain further.
brake lights or running lights? Different wires and filaments.

There are 2 flashers, so check the turn signal flasher. Swap it with the hazard flasher since you know it works.

he said the hazards do work so we know the lght housings are grounded, and the brake/turn wires and bulbs are good.

Last edited:
My bet is it's the faulty turn signal switch. If the "new" one mentioned is aftermarket they are pos and fail easily.

Driver side kick panel there is a plug that goes to the back of the car. Check that. All of the rear of the car is fed through that connector.

Guys I was able to find the lights issue but the turn signals do not work. And I took out the hazard module so I am thinking I need to replace the turn signal switch where do you guys recommend buying a replacement? Thank You Guys so much.

My Roadrunner needs paint but I am going to drive a while like it is. I have owned it for 5 and half years and it has never been on the road as yet. Some time soon before the end of November I will be driving it.

387555001_850779036677160_4842379118953721872_n.jpg

387544755_329165739664248_2849535623853508660_n.jpg

Guys I was able to find the lights issue but the turn signals do not work. And I took out the hazard module so I am thinking I need to replace the turn signal switch where do you guys recommend buying a replacement? Thank You Guys so much.
I got a used OEM one from Tony's Parts. Works great

Auto Transport Service
Back