• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 RT leaf springs.....

CoronetR/T70

Local time
12:26 PM
Reaction score
Hi there ...i was looking for an answer to a question which nobody here in germany realy got....and those who got it, got no time to answer. Is it true, that an original RT always had more spring leafs on one side ? Kind of heavy duty suspension? Or was it just an option which you could order back in the days. Always see people on car shows , crawling under cars to count the leav spring to see if it's an original Rt. Is it realy that way? Every RT had the ...I think 6 on the one...and 7 on the other side leaf?
Thx a lot and much greetings from germany.
Markus

Yes, that's correct. Reason is that the high performance engines produce more torque and the added leaf on one side was to balance that out.

If I remember correctly, left side is 6 leafs. Right side is 5+2 half leafs.

As said above the different leaf springs are to help control the attempt by the axle to twist under acceleration. The extra leafs are in the passenger side spring to help stiffen the spring and control that. Another part of that is the pinion snubber which is there to limit the twist of the axle

Looking at the leaf springs is not a good way to determine if a car is an R/T or not. The same goes for any other bolt on part.

Auto Transport Service
Back