• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Super Bee: Thoughts on this car for sale? And intro from Minnesota.

According to the fender tag, the car is EK2 orange. Go Mango/Vitamin C orange,not Hemi orange. GoMango and black is about as cool a color combo as it got on a 1970 Superbee! It would be a great looking car done!

According to the fender tag, the car is EK2 orange. Go Mango/Vitamin C orange,not Hemi orange. GoMango and black is about as cool a color combo as it got on a 1970 Superbee! It would be a great looking car done!
IMO the only cooler combo is EK2 and white.

So Dyna question is, are you only interested in a V Code car at the level your budget affords, or could you be happy with a 383 car that would be a considerably nicer condition car for the money? And are you going to look at this car, verify the numbers, and see how it drives?

So Dyna question is, are you only interested in a V Code car at the level your budget affords, or could you be happy with a 383 car that would be a considerably nicer condition car for the money? And are you going to look at this car, verify the numbers, and see how it drives?
I am not going to look at this car. I think we are way too far apart on price and I'm too skeptical of the previous work done to the body. For instance, why is the underbody purple but not the engine bay??? If a well respected member of this forum or the other big MOPAR forum lived nearby and took a look at it and came back with a higher opinion of the car I would be more interested in making an offer. But at the $65K he's asking after paint I would be expecting a near perfect car. And is he even a qualified painter? I have no clue.

Otherwise my wants and expectations fluctuate with the price tag. I can afford anything, but that doesn't mean I'm a sucker, plus I intend to drive the car and don't want the anxiety of a driving show perfect car. I essentially want this exact setup (440 6pack, N96 hood w/ RAMcharger, EK2 orange, Hurst shifter with console, Go-wing, bucket seats) but I don't care if the car is an original V code unless the drive train is original (because perhaps later in life I would give it a full restoration due to investment value). Otherwise I'd be fine with a 440 car in solid condition someone pieced together from whatever that is ready to roll and perhaps needs some work but is priced accordingly. That's what attracted me to this car, if it was like $35K and all it needed was a paint job and some moderate body work that would have been a fair deal in my limited understanding of value.

Well I haven't seen what I consider a "near perfect" one of these V Codes for $65k for about 20 years. The couple I looked at that "near perfect" level a few years ago when I looking were over $100k. You can save tens of thousands of dollars if a clone will make you happy. I didn't buy one like that, as I was only interested in an original V Code car, I eventually found one that made me happy, though it has flaws.

My car has the original drivetrain, but has shortcomings. Back in the day, presumed 1980s, the owner at the time must have showed it and wanted to make it "different". I blame the Disco era. The previous owner also perhaps knew someone that worked at a chrome shop, as he had numerous parts chromed that are still on the car today. Examples include hood hinges, pullies, sway bar; not in love with the chrome idea, but on a 50 plus year old car with an unknown number of owners a lot of stuff can happen.

With the cost of quality body work, paint, and interior, you can do well looking at nicely completed non-V Code cars and get a car that is nice and you can use now; I know a guy that said it cost $85k for parts and labor on his solid, complete car, that just showed 50 years of typical usage wear.

Well I haven't seen what I consider a "near perfect" one of these V Codes for $65k for about 20 years. The couple I looked at that "near perfect" level a few years ago when I looking were over $100k. You can save tens of thousands of dollars if a clone will make you happy. I didn't buy one like that, as I was only interested in an original V Code car, I eventually found one that made me happy, though it has flaws.

My car has the original drivetrain, but has shortcomings. Back in the day, presumed 1980s, the owner at the time must have showed it and wanted to make it "different". I blame the Disco era. The previous owner also perhaps knew someone that worked at a chrome shop, as he had numerous parts chromed that are still on the car today. Examples include hood hinges, pullies, sway bar; not in love with the chrome idea, but on a 50 plus year old car with an unknown number of owners a lot of stuff can happen.

With the cost of quality body work, paint, and interior, you can do well looking at nicely completed non-V Code cars and get a car that is nice and you can use now; I know a guy that said it cost $85k for parts and labor on his solid, complete car, that just showed 50 years of typical usage wear.
I see them asking $100K. I don't see them selling. In the last few years so few 1970's have entered the internet market that at a glance I recognize a new entry. Most often it's "Ah, that same one they're asking $100K for, again" that sits and sits. I'm always keen on seeing sold examples just to figure out why that particular one went and the others did not. However, I never figure it out. I'm still holding out hope that inflation and older guys starting to part with cars that haven't been on the market in decades might yield some new options and competitive prices, but so far that hasn't been the case. And honestly all that chrome sounds kind of boss.

The only difference between a V code car and one you build yourself is the V. And the E87. :D

I prefer the V code and the E87 Myself! It costs the same to build an accurate clone as it does to restore an original V code car,yes the V code car costs more on the buy in,but it will always hold it's value when it's time to sell it.

20220424_194458.jpg

20210925_145203.jpg

Anyone on this forum from northern Indiana? There is a Super Bee of local legend I wonder if anyone else might also be familiar.

I bought mine more for the D21. I got the car in 1985. Most of the 4 speed stuff was NS1, meaning tough to find back before the internet. I probably looked at 50 Chargers, this was the only one to have 4 pedals.
8458EFBB-7D82-482C-8491-FCB9D1307AC8.jpeg

The SB in the initial post was aquired by the current seller in late July- out of the Virginia area, via FB Marketplace. Was listed for 40K: I'd excpect they paid in the low to mid 30's. There is no apparent fixes/changes/improvements on it. It seemed to be a decent starting point, but as others said would get some good eyes on it before making any offer.

The SB in the initial post was aquired by the current seller in late July- out of the Virginia area, via FB Marketplace. Was listed for 40K: I'd excpect they paid in the low to mid 30's. There is no apparent fixes/changes/improvements on it. It seemed to be a decent starting point, but as others said would get some good eyes on it before making any offer.
Nice work.

They bought the car,probably for 35k and were hoping to make 10k on a quick flip. Probably only going to make 5k on it.

Do you have a link to that original sale ad?

Probably only going to make 5k on it.
If even that after shipping. The cynic in me is much more skeptical than even before with this new timeline. I get the feeling this car is even worse than we realize and he just wants to dump it after buying sight unseen. He hasn't even owned it a month. Has the paper title even mailed yet? When he added $23K+ for "paint" my first thought was that should cover a hell of a lot more than just paint.

Neat car for sure and being an original V-Code car in the combo you've dreamed of, if I were in your shoes, might sway me to pay a little more for it. I agree with Chargervert and others that as it sits you might be looking at a $37-45K car so his asking price of $42K to me seems to be in the ball park. But for that money it would all have to be numbers matching, motor/trans/body etc.

As for the colour difference, obviously the car came apart somewhat to replace all the sheet metal, the plan was to repaint in the correct colour so the areas where the work was done they probably painted it in a single stage urethane, and the outside once done would get the base clear. So the outside is still wearing the old repaint and that is why the duel colors.

But as stated to do the exterior properly you would need to take the car apart somewhat....all trim, grill, tail panel/lamps, bumpers, doors, glass etc. So that would be a bit of work for any shop and you would pay for that time. So the $23K for a repaint, with the cost of quality supplies and labour is not out fo the question for good quality work.

When cars are right priced they sell. Hence why this one sold a month ago for the correct price. Now maybe it won't.

I’m from Michigan, although about 3 hours fromCadillac. That place runs cars through all the time, and I suspect the same as some of you. They bought it and either found it to not be numbers matching, more work than they’re capable of doing or want to do, and want to sell it and make $10k.

I’m from Michigan, although about 3 hours fromCadillac. That place runs cars through all the time, and I suspect the same as some of you. They bought it and either found it to not be numbers matching, more work than they’re capable of doing or want to do, and want to sell it and make $10k.
It’s still with the owner in Texas. Those consignment guys in MI never even saw it I’m guessing.

I am not going to look at this car. I think we are way too far apart on price and I'm too skeptical of the previous work done to the body. For instance, why is the underbody purple but not the engine bay??? If a well respected member of this forum or the other big MOPAR forum lived nearby and took a look at it and came back with a higher opinion of the car I would be more interested in making an offer. But at the $65K he's asking after paint I would be expecting a near perfect car. And is he even a qualified painter? I have no clue.

Otherwise my wants and expectations fluctuate with the price tag. I can afford anything, but that doesn't mean I'm a sucker, plus I intend to drive the car and don't want the anxiety of a driving show perfect car. I essentially want this exact setup (440 6pack, N96 hood w/ RAMcharger, EK2 orange, Hurst shifter with console, Go-wing, bucket seats) but I don't care if the car is an original V code unless the drive train is original (because perhaps later in life I would give it a full restoration due to investment value). Otherwise I'd be fine with a 440 car in solid condition someone pieced together from whatever that is ready to roll and perhaps needs some work but is priced accordingly. That's what attracted me to this car, if it was like $35K and all it needed was a paint job and some moderate body work that would have been a fair deal in my limited understanding of value.
Think you are thinking right on price. Assuming it is a full matching V-code. If it drives nice. And body numbers are matching tag/vin. (Also look at the carb/intake. To see if original.) And you are not seeing any obvious troublesome areas on body/frame. But just as important. If you like the car and the feel? Then I wouldn't be too embarrassed in the upper $30s.

I know that's alot of "What ifs" to check off. But don't let us spook you either.

He wants $42k. You want to pay $35k. And car checks out to what he claims? And feels nice in your hands. Like its yours? Then $38k is not a bad compromise.

Auto Transport Service
Back