• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971-1974 Charger Parts

streetmachine

Local time
1:18 PM
Reaction score
Hello. Going to try to help someone with a 1972 Dodge Charger Rallye project. I'm just wondering with regards to parts and I realize this might be a vague question but, wondering what reproduction parts are good and where NOS should be best used? What I'm referring is used emblems, trim, lenses, electrical stuff, and interior stuff if need be. Thank you in advance.

Electrically, I would say to stay away from repro turn signal switches. I went through 3 and they all failed and finally I sourced a used NOS one and no problems.
Trim pieces, the repro items you can find in the Classic Industries catalog I think are pretty good. I replaced my front bumper arrow emblem with a new repro one.

Use original stuff as much as possible, even if you need to refurbish it. Resist the urge to whole-heartedly replace stuff using the YearOne, Classic Industries, etc. catalogs. So much repro stuff is not great quality or exact to original fit and appearance. Of course, some repro stuff you just have to buy as there are limited options. As far as NOS goes, it's getting very hard to find.. so would not count on that too much.

Use AMD sheet metal, it is not perfect but better than other alternatives. For the interior you are going to be severely limited to 1-2 manufacturers and it isn't cheap. Wait for holidays and use the sales.

Be careful using much more available 73/74 parts on a 72. Although a LOT is the same, almost as much is different.
Sometimes it's just a matter of a part that fits, but is not technically correct, but other times it may look the same, but is different and won't fit.

Regarding emblems- I recently examined a couple I had left sitting in my garage for the past 10 years give or take.
Uninsulated, but covered and closed.
There was an OEM "340" badge I got from a junkyard, and a purchased brand new repro set of "273 FOUR BARREL" emblems right next to each other, on top of my tool box.
The 340 was almost perfect.
The 273 pair was oxidized, pitted, discolored, and basically unusable.

If you post a list of what you need, it would be much easier to share experiences with what we've had good and/or bad luck with.

I personally paid the premium for Legendary seat covers, and am super happy I did.
The set for my 73 Satellite is the same pattern as 72-74 Charger, depending on option.

By contrast, the ones made by PUI don't have the buttons.

Thank you. A few questions. Let me ask this, how is the reproduction battery cables? Better or equal to OE? The other question is how is the reproduction parking lenses, marker lights, and tail light lenses? I'm just curious on those.

Shoot me a message. I have a fair amount of parts
Thank you I will keep you mind. There is some older parts that was pull from an assortment of Chargers in the junkyards that was still in the junkyards in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Not sure, of the condition of them though especially lenses and such.

The front parking light lenses are kinda hard to find. Are those available repro now?

You can still find NOS parking lenses and side markers on eBay. I bought the repro taillight lenses from P.G. Classics years ago and they are still in great shape. I think there was some sort of part number issue with them. Also picked up a nice pair of used R/T Rallye lenses as well.

Here is a thread I have with some of the parts I have purchased.
https://wichargerguy.proboards.com/thread/23036/parts-purchased-72-se-brougham

Hi all, I have a slight issue with my 72 Charger that finally arrived here in Australia. I brought new metal wheel arch trims & found out I have a "73 Fender on the left front" so that trim wont fit.
Does anyone here have or know where I could purchase one?

Hi all, I have a slight issue with my 72 Charger that finally arrived here in Australia. I brought new metal wheel arch trims & found out I have a "73 Fender on the left front" so that trim wont fit.
A fender?
Stephen's performance. The shipping will be interesting.
I hope you are asking for money back on the car since the wheel openings and body lines are different.
https://stephensperformance.com/index.php

I have two of them in my loft. Both need work, but are usable.

Auto Transport Service
Back