• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Charger SE - Steering Wheel Options

71SandbugCharger

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:29 PM
Reaction score
Just bought a '71 SE for my son, and the steering wheel is one of the first things to be needing to be replaced. What are our options? Can orginals be restored, and by who and at what cost?

Would like to go with blue, but black maybe okay. It's a column shift. Tuff wheel without a crush can? He would rather a thicker wheel, and less diameter.

Thanks!

IMG_2835.jpg

Here is the whole car for those that want to see the whole car!

IMG_2826.jpg

Hello,
You can now buy the brite blue Tuff wheel, it is available from PG Classics.

I bought one for my 71 Super Bee, it is really nice!!!

256-BS Mopar A,B,E-Body 14" Leather Tuff Steering Wheel​

MOPAR SKU: 256-BS-BL

Color: Blue
Sale Price: $274.99 USD

Jim

Try Grant Steering Wheels, or Classic Industries, or Year One. I didn't see that exact wheel but several offerings in blue. Year one had a blue one from 1970. Good Luck! (I wouldn't recommend a smaller diameter wheel unless you have power steering!)
Also, try the want ads on this site!
By the way, nice Charger!!
:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hello,

Jim
Thanks! What did you do for the horn button?

Crush can was for E bodies. It is longer than A/B bodies tuff wheel adaptor due the deepness of the cluster and protuded dash pad cluster “eyebrow” on them.

repro column adaptor (intended for A and B bodies) for the wheel is available thought.

71_Charger0010.jpg

Last edited:
BTW, I can see that PG wheel is made like the later 70s ones, with ”basebal ball” stitch design instead the earliers 90 degrees stitch

about restoring the wheel… there was a guy long time ago who worked on that. He specialized onto woodgrained grips thought. I think he was known as “the steering wheel guy”

but I don’t think that steering wheel will be hard to find good used yet. All Mopars on 71-73 period used it, with just difference on the center emblem (Dodge, Plymouth or Chrysler)

Last edited:
I don't think colored tuff wheels were available from the factory until the F/J body cars.

I don't think colored tuff wheels were available from the factory until the F/J body cars.
As far I know, they appeared first on 75 and lates B bodies, so 1 year before the F bodies.

and horn button aso color keyed and with the earlier 71/72 chromed trim. Soft padded, instead hard plastic like 73/74 ones (and I think lates 72s)

Last edited:
i added the grant tuff wheel to mine .

View attachment 1393832
Damn! I still don like the grant wheel. Fortunately I got to get the one available from Dale’s Cuda Shop, more accurately made to the original one. Still not 100% accurate but 90%. The spokes cutouts are a bit offset, and the stitch repro is somehow close but not 100 accurate… but good enough.

I can speak about this because my car born with tuff wheel so was able to compare the original to the DCS repro side by side.

but the Grant wheel… way diff on the grip all even more around and around the spokes

Grant has several versions of the Tuff wheel, the cheap ones are just that, cheap with the center spokes very thin (1/8") and essentially straight from the hub to the rim. Their more expensive ones as well as the other quality repops have thicker (1/4" or so) that have a bend in them. The grip covering varies by manufacturer. IMO some of the repops are much nicer than the originals.

You can put about any wheel on there with an common adapter kit, these columns are simple units and there is not much magic there.

As far I know, they appeared first on 75 and lates B bodies, so 1 year before the F bodies.

and horn button aso color keyed and with the earlier 71/72 chromed trim. Soft padded, instead hard plastic like 73/74 ones (and I think lates 72s)
And trucks too. Mid-70's they could have a colored Tuff wheel.

now you have me thinking about side pipes

Funny thing! He wanted side pipes, a big block Mopar, and drink holders. For all it doesn’t have, it has those three!
41FB885F-A435-423C-B0B8-F734084E1059.jpeg
B4ABC84E-028F-4C73-8D18-F401A19DE443.jpeg

Thanks! What did you do for the horn button?
I have a black horn.

Not sure what I will do, perhaps have it painted same color as the wheel to match if it makes sense.

If so, to preserve the paint finish, I will keep a megaphone in the passenger seat rather than use the horn!!!

NO!!!!!.png

Hello,

Jim
Thanks again! 25% off with code HOLIDAYS
!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back