• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Hemi built by Ed Pink in 1978, never started and preserved in a barrel of oil.

1970gator

Local time
6:57 AM
Reaction score
I'm bringing over a thread started in the 'Welcome Wagon' section on Budnicks (thank you) suggestion.

I had a chance to start working on the Hemi this weekend. I photographed all the various stampings on the block, and I appreciate any help you all can provide as to exactly what they mean. The first couple pics are the stampings just below the starter. I know the 'NM' is likely stamped backwards and should mean the plant where the motor was assembled. '426' is the cu. in. of the engine and the next four are the date code. However, I couldn't find how to decode the date code. Can anyone help with that? Also, what are the number following the date code? The next pic is the machined pad on the passenger side of the motor. Is this a partial VIN? The next two (2) pics are of the camshaft. I read on one of the forums that camonics did some custom grinds for Ed Pink, but I really don't know if this is a custom grind or not. The next pic is of the crankshaft and a date stamping of 4-17-78. This motor was built by Ed Pink in 1978 so I assume that this date stamp was done during that build. Beside the date stamp is a KC and an M with a circle around it. Is there any significance to those markings? The last pic is the machined pad on top of the motor. It is stamped 'WT' which I understand all the Hemi's were and meant water tested. Any information that can be provided about any of these stampings would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance!

Starter Tab Stampings:

IMG_7431.jpg

IMG_7425.jpg

Machined Pad Above Oil Pan:

IMG_7497.jpg

Camshaft:

IMG_7456.jpg

IMG_7454.jpg

Crankshaft:

IMG_7458.jpg

Machined Pad on Top of Engine:

IMG_7470.jpg

No 1.
I'm pretty sure ALL Hemi production ceased in May 1969.
The "DATE" cast into the block should be on the left side below the where the head mounts. (on the side of the block)
So, many 70 and 71s were actually "CAST" around the May 1969 time frame.

I assume the R109106 stamped on the machined pad near the oil pan is a partial VIN? I am a little unsure if the 'R' is designating that it was going into a Plymouth B-body or if the 'R' was because that was the letter designating a Hemi in '71. I was told by a gentleman on another forum that the 'R' was for a Plymouth B-body meaning this motor went into a Road Runner or GTX. However, I've since been told it was indeed because it was a '71 Hemi and that was the engine code for Hemi in '71. So, now I'm confused, lol. Can anyone confirm this one way or another? Was there enough consistency in how these were stamped to say with confidence either way? I appreciate any and all input!

sounds great @ idle

1970gator what a tease !!, you show us it on a dyno & it's only idling...LOL... sound good idling thou... 551hp @ 5800rpm isn't too shabby at all, should be fun as hell... congrats & best of luck, refresh my memory, what's it going in ??

1970gator what a tease !!, you show us it on a dyno & it's only idling...LOL... sound good idling thou... 551hp @ 5800rpm isn't too shabby at all, should be fun as hell... congrats & best of luck, refresh my memory, what's it going in ??

Lol. I'll upload the dyno pull tomorrow (hopefully) and throw a link for it. As for what it's going in, I have a couple chargers, a '68 and a '69. I'll be dropping it in one of those. Can't make up my mind which one though.

I love the 68 Charger R/T the best "hands down", of any year of Chargers !! {IMHFO anyway}, but that was my 1st real car too, so I'm a little biased...

Auto Transport Service
Back